The Buyer's Remorse thread

If you have ever regretted a purchase, this is where you can share your remorse. Expected peak periods of this thread is during Easter and Black Friday/CyberMonday every year.

Anyone already regretting BF2019 purchases?

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

Thanked by (3)uptime samJ ITLabs

Comments

• WSSWSS OGRetired

I like my watch. Keep forgetting to use it, though.

Thanked by (3)poisson uptime Janevski

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• tetechtetech OG
    edited December 2019

I got something from VirMach that I probably shouldn't have.

I also took RAD Web Hosting's $1/month deal without checking into them as much as I should have. Location was "Dallas/Phoenix" and I wanted Dallas but ended up with Phoenix. Also the fact that their bill is ~$180 discounted to $12 is a bit creepy. Not sure if I'll regret that one, time will tell. ETA: I already don't like that they plaster upsell advertisements all over the control panel.

Thanked by (3)poisson uptime Abdullah
  • cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

Virmach. Regret because CC.

Thanked by (4)poisson uptime WSS Ouji

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• I regret for not getting enough sleep.

• @cybertech said:
    Virmach. Regret because CC.

LOL. Same. I hate that I love it.

Also, I regret buying the car with the sunroof. I've used that thing maybe three times in ten years. Paid $3,000 premium for it (plus a couple other minor differences).

Thanked by (2)uptime poisson

It's pronounced hacker.

• edited December 2019

Only remorse is not remembering to cancel an ultravps SSD 1GB kvm before contract date.
    It seems billing date was Nov1 , and I needed to do it before Oct15.
    I kinda assumed Bill date would be the date I purchased (BlackFriday 2016).

So, now I have to find a use for this. Reason for cancel: got the better 4GB SAS special in March.

Thanked by (1)poisson

@vimalware said:
    Only remorse is not remembering to cancel an ultravps SSD 1GB kvm before contract date.

So, now I have to find a use for this. Reason for cancel: got the better 4GB SAS special in March.

Cancelled the SSD in LA as well, but keeping the AMS SAS

Thanked by (1)poisson

• FAT32FAT32 OG
    edited December 2019

I am going to spam this image again, a very accurate representation by Mr. Lovenstein

• @vimalware said:

Transfer it? (if UltraVPS do that)

Thanked by (1)poisson
  • InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

I regret kidding myself that I was not going to really bother this year and was badly prepared and picking an insane time to start this place.

Next year if we are still here I will make it easier for everything through THE POWER OF CODE!

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited December 2019

There were some deals that I almost bought; but could not or did not.
    One had 50% off, others had varying between 40% and 50%.
    This morning I remembered my (late) mother's words.

"If you buy, you save half the money, If you don't buy, you save the other half also"

So BF/CM concludes with only one regret- not applying the 10% off code on an $ 50 annual plan, rest of the money stays to be spent another day.

• @vyas said:
    "If you buy, you save half the money, If you don't buy, you save the other half also"

This. I should have know about this quote earlier.

Thanked by (2)vyas Abdullah
  • BlaZeBlaZe Hosting ProviderOG

I regret not buying any more of Koofr's 1TB lifetime deal (the only thing I bought this BF)

Thanked by (3)vyas poisson Ympker

ExoticVM.com - Find VPS in exotic locations!

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

I don’t regret any of the things I bought........ yet.

Thanked by (3)FAT32 poisson uptime

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• WSSWSS OGRetired

Nope. Still enjoying my watch.

Thanked by (2)uptime FAT32

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• K4Y5K4Y5 OG
    edited December 2019
    • Not using the Double up! promo while ordering that sweet sweet HostDoc SGP VM.
    • Not checking CPU specs of the monster VM from AlphaVPS that I got.
  • I regret buying 4pcs of 256 GB micro SD card 2 weeks before black friday... I could have saved $40 dollar if I waited just 2 weeks...

If it’s not broken, keep fixing it until it is. Blink twice if you agree.

• I have bought a dedi from hetzner. I regret no free setup :(

Dentistry is my passion

• nope

• I had planned to get at most two VPSes, and I ended up with four. =) But no serious regret. I'll "consolidate" in the new year. :)

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• @WSS said:
    Nope. Still enjoying my watch.

So no more VirMach deals from you in the new year? ;)

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• I didn't buy any servers! I'm mostly happy about that. The one really intriguing one was the EUServ 10TB storage which is hard to match any other way. I kept thinking I have enough storage, but the EUServ wouldn't just have added to it, it would have let me consolidate and get rid of a bunch of more expensive stuff. But, I was put off by the slow speed reports.

On the other hand I bought $350+ of real-world stuff, about $200 of which was a specific shiny object that I probably shouldn't have bought (though not totally regretting). The other stuff I think was mostly good choices.

I wasn't even really tempted by Virmach even though some of the offers are nice. I have enough small vps, when I need another one temporarily I can spin up an hourly, there is still that free atlantic.net thing that I signed up for and can't use because the recaptcha stops me from logging in, and when I want to do something compute intensive I find dedis better than vps.

Thanked by (2)uptime Ympker
  • @angstrom said:
    I had planned to get at most two VPSes, and I ended up with four. =) But no serious regret. I'll "consolidate" in the new year. :)

Yeah, that was my plan, too -- consolidate over a dozen small VPSes into one nice dedi. Now I still have a dozen idling VPSes, plus multiple idling dedis....

Thanked by (3)uptime angstrom poisson
  • I didn't get many new servers this time, mostly just renewed BF deals from previous years. I'm still undecided whether it was better to renew my HostHatch 2.5TB in LA or switch to a 3TB in Chicago. I tracked VirMach's algorithmic deals for a bit, but was not tempted. I probably should have taken advantage of Anthony's top-up credit bonus; that counts as a regret.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Hosting ProviderOG

Chievo said: I have bought a dedi from hetzner. I regret no free setup

Well, despite the setup fee, I hope that you will enjoy using it. Have you checked out some of the tutorials on our Community page?

You can also earn credit for your account by writing tutorials. --Katie

Thanked by (3)uptime poisson tetech

We're Katie and Lea and we'll do our best to answer questions you have about Hetzner Online. We and not our employer are responsible for any horrible puns and dated cultural references.

• @seanho said:

@angstrom said:
    I had planned to get at most two VPSes, and I ended up with four. =) But no serious regret. I'll "consolidate" in the new year. :)

Yeah, that was my plan, too -- consolidate over a dozen small VPSes into one nice dedi. Now I still have a dozen idling VPSes, plus multiple idling dedis....

In theory, consolidating everything into one dedi makes good sense, but in practice, I find that I enjoy having and trying out different "flavors" of VPSes (esp. for different purposes), not to mention that the isolation of each VPS from the others comes for free. As long as the number of VPSes doesn't grow out of control and the costs remain manageable, I don't worry too much. (And there's always the rationale of supporting the low-end server market segment. =) )

• edited December 2019

I will just use the money I didn't spend on ssd kvm, to add a EUR7/mo 480GB Datacenter SSD to my 22eur hetzner when I truly need the IOPS ?

HDD raid1 is pretty OK for single tenant selfhosted apps.

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • @Hetzner_OL said:

Chievo said: I have bought a dedi from hetzner. I regret no free setup

Well, despite the setup fee, I hope that you will enjoy using it. Have you checked out some of the tutorials on our Community page?

You can also earn credit for your account by writing tutorials. --Katie

Thanks @Hetzner_OL Katie. Well doing extra 2 fillings is going To cover the setup fee for me so it is OK. Waiting for it.

Dentistry is my passion

Well after all that vps regrets , no space for a dedi till next year.

• Anyone wanna buy a $16.28 USD Annually Virmach VPS? :-o

Thanked by (1)uptime

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)