Create a Wordpress category

mikhomikho AdministratorOG
edited July 2021 in General

The question was asked and I’m all up for the idea of creating a Wordpress category with seperate threads instead of one mega-thread.

My thoughts are, if the community votes yes to a new category, that it will be placed under Technical.

Please answer the poll and I’ll check back in a few days.

Wordpress category
  1. Should it be a seperate category?34 votes
    1. Yes, under Technical
      76.47%
    2. No
      17.65%
    3. Yes, sub-category suggested in the reply below
        5.88%

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

Tagged:

Comments

• Don't really care where it is. I just think it is something discussed often as seen by the longest thread amongst all others. Would be helpful to a lot I suspect but more beneficial if you can find Specific content easier.

Thanked by (2)Ympker bikegremlin
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

Like @Lee already pointed out, I think it is quite obvious by now that there is a certain interest regarding WordPress in this community. The mega-thread has lots of great comments and advice but just like the Pit it gets lost in the ocean. Due to this, I am all for a WordPress category. I also don't really mind where it is placed :)

Thanked by (1)Lee
  • _MS__MS_ OG
    edited July 2021

@mikho said:
    Wordpress

Capital P Dangit.

You could put it under the 'Self-hosted' Category.

A lot of traffic can be drawn in from this keyword. This topic has not been explored much on this or most of the Hosting-related forums. The 'Self-hosted' topic is the natural companion to a forum about Virtual Servers and Hosting.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin Decicus

MS said:

@mikho said:
    Wordpress

Capital P Dangit.

You could put it under 'Self-hosted' Category.
    A lot of traffic can be drawn in from this keyword. This topic has not been explored much on this or most of the Hosting-related forums.

Might be a bit mis-leading though (imho), since not all ppl here (me included) use self-hosted wp and I think technical would make for an overall broader fit. Self-hosted may imply it is only about optimizing your WordPress stack/hosting but not about plugins, themes, development, trends.. Regardless, as long as I know where to find it, I don't mind.

• @Ympker said:

MS said:

@mikho said:
    Wordpress

Capital P Dangit.

You could put it under 'Self-hosted' Category.
    A lot of traffic can be drawn in from this keyword. This topic has not been explored much on this or most of the Hosting-related forums.

Might be a bit mis-leading though (imho), since not all ppl here (me included) use self-hosted wp and I think technical would make for an overall broader fit. Self-hosted may imply it is only about optimizing your WordPress stack/hosting but not about plugins, themes, development, trends.. Regardless, as long as I know where to find it, I don't mind.

I did think about this point while writing the previous comment. But then I thought that even a WordPress site installed via Softaculous on Shared Hosting is a copy of self-hosted WordPress.

WordPress as a main Category would be fine, too :).

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin Ympker
  • Should have an option to hide/unsubscribe from seeing them.

• edited July 2021

Category: Software|WordPress (it's extensible).

[ or BloatWare|WordPress , then Magento could be added too. :p ]
    [[ BTW, anyone else remember SmartWare? I liked that. ]]

Thanked by (3)TigersWay yoursunny Amitz

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer
    edited July 2021

@mikho Why does WordPress need to be a subcategory, e.g., under Software or under Technical? Surely there is more than enough interest in WP to deserve its own top level category!

Friendly greetings from the desert! 🏝️

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin Ympker

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• @AlwaysSkint said: BloatWare|WordPress

I thought that before realising WordPress at the point you install it is far from BloatWare. It is the user that turns it into that.

• WP deserves its own top level category

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • If WordPress gets a category, Virtualizor and IPv6 and push-ups (the video technology, not the meme) should get their categories too.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• sonicsonic OG
    edited July 2021

@yoursunny said:
    If WordPress gets a category, Virtualizor and IPv6 and push-ups (the video technology, not the meme) should get their categories too.

IPv6 and push-ups will be sub-categories of WP.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

Technical is OK. Though it does make sense to make it a top-level category.
    With sub-categories like:

WordPress hosting (no offers, perhaps, just recommendations and discussion).
    WordPress design, optimizing

Thanked by (3)Abdullah Ympker Decicus

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG

+1 nice idea!

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Okay, I change my vote and opt for it to be a top-level category. Somehow I totally forgot that was possible, too.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@Ympker said:
    Okay, I change my vote and opt for it to be a top-level category. Somehow I totally forgot that was possible, too.

Same.

+1

:)

Thanked by (2)Ympker Not_Oles

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• LowEndWordPress

LEWP

Thanked by (2)Ympker Not_Oles
  • Alternatively, one could imagine a new top-level category "CMS" with a subcategory WordPress.

In any case, it would sense to have a category (top-level or sub) for WordPress given the interest that it generates.

Thanked by (2)Ympker AlwaysSkint

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

@angstrom said:
    Alternatively, one could imagine a new top-level category "CMS" with a subcategory WordPress.

In any case, it would sense to have a category (top-level or sub) for WordPress given the interest that it generates.

Sounds fine.
    Though, all the others would probably take less "room" than WordPress alone.
    While the WordPress category could use several sub-categories. :)

So depends on how many sub-levels we want, what's more convenient, and more reasonable.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@vyas said:
    LowEndWordPress

LEWP

The new wp stack ;)

• I believe we should/could have a "software" top category, with probably a big wordpress sub-category, yes. Which means we could also start talking about other already nice or with potential tools.
    LES is not - for now - a place I'm coming to get news, advice and help about self-hosting, cms, or any kind of online portal... But it could become that place. There's plenty to share about!

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint mikho