Windows 365 discussion

I watched Satya Nadella video talking about it, then came pricing leak

“ The company showed a screenshot that mentioned a monthly subscription of $31 (roughly Rs. 2,300) for the configuration that comprises two CPUs, 4GB of RAM, and 128GB storage. It will be a part of the Windows 365 Business option that is meant for businesses with fewer than 300 users.”

What have you been able to gather about it so far? Do you think it is an also ran (Hello, Zune and windows smartphone) or a game changer?

Link to video: https://myinspire.microsoft.com/sessions/a80a31ae-565b-483d-ab34-b5e5b7fbc39b

Comments

• Stopped using MS word and its siblings like 10 years ago, basically when they were moving to subscription model.

Been using libre office now.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin dahartigan

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• edited July 2021

Video's too long to watch, but luckily there was a transcript available...(the part about Windows 365 starts at 00:30:00.476 - sadly, it was mostly fluff :disappointed: )

So, based on what you posted, unless I'm missing something, this sounds just like a Windows DaaS, and the pricing is really similar to https://aws.amazon.com/workspaces/pricing/ - thus, definitely not a game changer, neither product wise nor price wise:tongue: Azure (MS) is sure trying hard to catch up to AWS...

Contribute your idling VPS/dedi (link), Android (link) or iOS (link) devices to medical research

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

Streaming Windows OS…..
    anyone else that think of Thin Clients?

Thanked by (1)webcraft

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• skorupionskorupion Services Provider

@mikho said:
    Streaming Windows OS…..
    anyone else that think of Thin Clients?

yep, and [pair that with google stadia and you have a pretty beefy pc for 100 dollars + 70? dollars per month plus internet costs

Crunchbits Technical Support, Technical Writer, and Sales
    Contact me at: +1 (347) 518-1661 or [email protected]

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

Wouldn't be surprised if we switch to this at work. We're already on tablets rather than laptops

Personally not interested. Trying to self host more and monthly pay for less

• edited July 2021

I could see Windows-by-subscription working in a (small/smaller) business environment, especially if it means that one could save hiring a local person to keep Windows and related applications up-to-date in the office.

As far as the average end-consumer is concerned, I suspect that they'll be hesitant to add yet another subscription to their monthly bills.

I sometimes use the free version of Word at office.com, which is kind of neat, but I also mostly use LibreOffice Writer.

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• If only libre impress had better compatibility with powerpoint presentation

Want free vps ? https://microlxc.net

• Monthly cost is not lowend so no

• Terrible idea. I doubt many of their enterprise customers would want to make their business dependable of a working internet connection.

Thanked by (1)terrorgen
  • I think it really too expensive.
    I can easily buy a NAT-based RDP server for Remote Working in less than three dollars per mo.
    What's their reason for me to pay 31 dollars?

• Suggested price Plus tax.

• @tzchz said:
    I can easily buy a NAT-based RDP server for Remote Working in less than three dollars per mo.

It's a reliable (supposedly :P) and managed service integrated with AD, that's why ;)

Contribute your idling VPS/dedi (link), Android (link) or iOS (link) devices to medical research

• @webcraft said:
    Terrible idea. I doubt many of their enterprise customers would want to make their business dependable of a working internet connection.

I raised this with my company's IT guy and he is basically saying "hahaha... What?"

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• @terrorgen said:
    I raised this with my company's IT guy and he is basically saying "hahaha... What?"

That’s why a company should have at least two internet services, the main one and a backup one.

• What about going with NexusBytes? Lower cost and Win Server 19 License is included

• @danielcardosopt said:

@terrorgen said:

That’s why a company should have at least two internet services, the main one and a backup one.

Not realistic to ask people working from home to have 2 internet connections.

Thanked by (2)webcraft Wolveix

• @terrorgen said:

Really? Personally, I got another one without even being asked by the company...
    Obviously, my backup isn't the fastest (just the bare minimum required for RDP), but since it costs pennies, it's worth it IMO
    (otherwise, in case of a failing connection, one would have to commute on a packed train and sit the whole day in a mask inside the office, something I'd definitely want to avoid nowadays)

• @chimichurri said:

@terrorgen said:

Really? Personally, I got another one without even being asked by the company...
    Obviously, my backup isn't the fastest (just the bare minimum required for RDP), but since it costs pennies, it's worth it IMO
    (otherwise, in case of a failing connection, one would have to commute on a packed train and sit the whole day in a mask inside the office, something I'd definitely want to avoid nowadays)

My home doesn't even have an 'internet' provider and I use 4G unlimited internet as my main network. I have a shared office near my house with a great internet connection and free coffee. This requires me to pay my own rent, but I think it is worth it.

Action and Reaction in history

• @chimichurri said:

@terrorgen said:

I guess you are not in the US, eh?

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

IMHO the price point is wrong, for $31 over 4 years (the usual serviceable life of a desktop or laptop in an office) it is significantly more expensive than owning the physical asset which has its own benefits. and the specs are low and you need an asset to use it to begin with.

if it was $10 - $15 then maybe.

That's not my inner cheapo that just seems to be logical.

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• @terrorgen said:

I think most people already do. Atleast here in Sweden, most people have a fiber connection at home and an unlimited 4G subscription in their phone. If the fiber goes down you enable hotspot sharing on your phone and you are back online within seconds.

• edited July 2021

@rcy026 said:

@terrorgen said:

I think most people already do. Atleast here in Sweden, most people have a fiber connection at home and an unlimited 4G subscription in their phone. If the fiber goes down you enable hotspot sharing on your phone and you are back online within seconds.

Oh I was talking about a multiwan situation where you have equipment to switch between the two.

In the US, what you said is doable, except most people don't have the monthly quota on their cell to have prolonged work done.

And most people in the US are either on DSL or Cable, fiber is not available everywhere.

• @terrorgen said:

@rcy026 said:

@terrorgen said:

Oh I was talking about a multiwan situation where you have equipment to switch between the two.

I find it hard to see any kind of work done from home that would require that kind of redundancy. I work almost exclusively from home right now and most of my work is done via rdp. Losing connectivity for the few seconds it takes to manually switch to 4G wont even log me out of my rdp sessions.

In the US, what you said is doable, except most people don't have the monthly quota on their cell to have prolonged work done.

And most people in the US are either on DSL or Cable, fiber is not available everywhere.

Microsoft does not design everything exclusively for the US market, they sell in other parts of the world to. And in a few years the US have hopefully caught up regarding infrastructure and cellphone plans.

Thanked by (1)chimichurri
  • What i get from you is that US internet sucks (and yes it is)

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@webcraft said:
    Terrible idea. I doubt many of their enterprise customers would want to make their business dependable of a working internet connection.

A lot of businesses are already depending on a working Internet connection, companies that use Private Cloud solutions (hosted by another company) and/or using e-mail as their main point of contact.

@tzchz said:
    I think it really too expensive.

The price will change along the way, this is for the early adopters, the same type of people who buys the new Apple iPhone when they actually don't need to.

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• $24 month for 1CPU and 2GB Ram… maybe I’m missing something but why wouldn’t I just buy a VPS and a windows license?

• @AaronSS said:
    $24 month for 1CPU and 2GB Ram… maybe I’m missing something but why wouldn’t I just buy a VPS and a windows license?

Iirc this comes with a legal copy of Windows 10 Enterprise

Thanked by (1)webcraft
  • @sanvit said:

@AaronSS said:
    $24 month for 1CPU and 2GB Ram… maybe I’m missing something but why wouldn’t I just buy a VPS and a windows license?

???

I said I would buy a license. I guess that doesn’t technically give me virtualization rights?

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

I could see my employer going for this. We're all on tablets anyway and it's all internet based already (well mix of intra and inter)

• @AaronSS said:

@sanvit said:

@AaronSS said:

???

I said I would buy a license. I guess that doesn’t technically give me virtualization rights?

iirc Microsoft doesn’t allow running Windows 10 on public clouds unless you have a special agreement with them