What project management tool do you use to organize your work (Trello..)? Any self-hosted solution?

YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

Hello everyone,
so far I have been using Trello (free) to organize my project workflow and tasks. While I am quite happy with it, I was wondering what other options are out there? Maybe someone here runs a self-hosted solution like Wekan (or other) and can give some feedback?

Kind regards,
Ympker

Thanked by (1)souen

Comments

• I use gitlab for a lot of things. It's a bit OTT for most things but being able to link the code repo to it and then reference issues in commits is handy.

Some clients have their own systems (usually either basecamp or trello).

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited August 2021

@Mr_Tom said:
    I use gitlab for a lot of things. It's a bit OTT for most things but being able to link the code repo to it and then reference issues in commits is handy.

Some clients have their own systems (usually either basecamp or trello).

Interesting. I am one of those people who never got around to using Gitlab. What (kind of) things can it do, really? I assume it is like a self-hosted Github solution, iirc? Some extra perks/special features compared to Github (given that Github now also has private repos for free).

• I always prefer to self host where possible so it has that advantage - but it does like a lot of RAM. I've ran it with 1gb RAM and swap, but as you start to add users/traffic it needs more.

The issues feature is probably the main feature I use other than repos - these can be shown in trello style boards, as well as lists. Each issue can have tags added, reference other issues, etc. As I say, I don't make full use of it's features or whats its capable off but it's nice to know I can start making use as things change, projects get more advanced.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • I would say Gitlab is like a giant, it is like combination of everything, from Project management, design review tool, development, internal registry, deployment, security, monitoring, also gitlab pages (Github pages alternative), etc etc.

The features I mentioned above don't usually need third party, it comes with batteries included. It is a all-in-one tool that you can use it to manage your whole project from start to finish.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @FAT32 said: I would say Gitlab is like a giant, it is like combination of everything, from Project management, design review tool, development, internal registry, deployment, security, monitoring, also gitlab pages (Github pages alternative), etc etc.

Yeah I feel like it's somewhat wasted with what I use it for currently lol

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @Mr_Tom said:
    Yeah I feel like it's somewhat wasted with what I use it for currently lol

A lot of people thought Gitlab is just a source code management tool, but it is so powerful that I am very amazed that it is open source.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Thanks @Mr_Tom and @FAT32 for chiming in. Really sounds interesting :)

Will have a look!

Thanked by (1)FAT32
  • I recently started testing out Focalboard as an alternative to Trello, might interest you.

Thanked by (2)Ympker souen
  • @FAT32 said: A lot of people thought Gitlab is just a source code management tool, but it is so powerful that I am very amazed that it is open source.

Yeah it is a great piece of kit.

I prefer the "issues" style of dealing with things rather than trello style boards too.

Thanked by (2)FAT32 Ympker
  • We use Jira but thankfully we have PMs assigned for most of our Projects so they're mostly managing that part.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• Thanked by (3)Ympker giang adly

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• My company is using Active Collab self hosted, it’s simply and great. Also got app for Windows / Mobile phone.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • edited August 2021

home: Trello (as you already know, the free version's features are very basic, but then again, I personally don't need a lot of fancy features, and not having to manage the thing is a + for me.. last but not least, there's a mobile app too!)

work (own tasks): Portable Kanban - as the name suggests, very basic Windows desktop app, apparently it can be used with other people if you setup Redis lol; there's sorting (by deadline for example) and time tracking available, which is enough for my needs

work (team tasks): Redmine (a rather shitty tool, one I'd definitely avoid) -> GitLab (was ok, but used it very briefly) -> Jira (IMO the best one out of the three, probably the most features and tons of available integrations - Slack, Confluence et al. ... there's a simple kanban-like mode too; free up to 10 users)

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Contribute your idling VPS/dedi (link), Android (link) or iOS (link) devices to medical research

• souensouen OG
    edited August 2021

Wekan is relatively easy to set up manually, which makes it a cool option to quickly put up an instance for a small team and get going. Only thing is it uses MongoDB via Meteor which might be a turn-off for some people.

I also like Taiga, though it might be an acquired taste, being oriented towards agile/scrum practices. It can still be used for its kanban without going agile, and epics/milestones are another way to collect a bunch of issues together besides tagging.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • Check out Stackby on AS

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @thedp said:
    We use Jira but thankfully we have PMs assigned for most of our Projects so they're mostly managing that part.

We use Jira too and thankfully I’m a product owner so I’m mostly managing that part.

Please send help.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @debaser said:

@thedp said:
    We use Jira but thankfully we have PMs assigned for most of our Projects so they're mostly managing that part.

We use Jira too and thankfully I’m a product owner so I’m mostly managing that part.

Please send help.

I generally hate PMs but I appreciate them when they're fully responsible for Jira-related work :joy:

• edited August 2021

It's not selfhosted but appsumo often has some good lifetimes for this, right now they have one called Bloo. I purchased ora.pm when they had it and it's a good trello replacement.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • For personal stuff either just a TODO text file or an org-mode file. At work I see all kinds of churn through these tools, and leaky migration from one to another, so you end up having to look through a bunch of different ones every day. I think it's more important to pick one tool and stick with it, than fuss too much over which to use. The most important thing is basic bug tracking and for whatever reason, those things tend to suck, but there are a lot of them out there.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @Mr_Tom said: I always prefer to self host where possible so it has that advantage - but it does like a lot of RAM. I've ran it with 1gb RAM and swap, but as you start to add users/traffic it needs more.

Have you tried OneDev? Seems like a nice replacement for GitLab that is a bit more resource efficient.

I still use my self-hosted Jira instance (with a free open-source license) even though Atlassian will discontinue support in 3 years. The product is just too good to let go :(

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • At work I use Trello, for my personal stuff I use a directory of Markdown files, synchronized with Syncthing and organized according to bits of Getting Things Done (a file for the Inbox, then a file for each project, a file for stuff to do "someday") and Building a Second Brain (for the reference materials and archives).

Thanked by (3)Ympker verd chimichurri
  • Actually I just realized I saw this on sale on stacksocial which looked really interesting: https://stacksocial.com/sales/imdone-kanban-task-management-app-lifetime-subscription

Thanked by (2)Ympker ehab

@lowendmeow said:
    Actually I just realized I saw this on sale on stacksocial which looked really interesting: https://stacksocial.com/sales/imdone-kanban-task-management-app-lifetime-subscription

The thing with Stacksocial/Appsumo SaaS services likte this, that if they are not super popular, I always have the feeling they might disappear sooner than later leaving me to clean up the mess and migrate to another paid solution. I'd prefer using Trello (free) over this as they are very well established and (hopefully) meant to last a while.

• edited August 2021

@Ympker said:

@lowendmeow said:
    Actually I just realized I saw this on sale on stacksocial which looked really interesting: https://stacksocial.com/sales/imdone-kanban-task-management-app-lifetime-subscription

The thing with Stacksocial/Appsumo SaaS services likte this, that if they are not super popular, I always have the feeling they might disappear sooner than later leaving me to clean up the mess and migrate to another paid solution. I'd prefer using Trello (free) over this as they are very well established and (hopefully) meant to last a while.

Check that one out actually, it's a desktop app in this case, not saas, that also works on linux :) https://imdone.io/

Confusing because Stacksocial often does offer SAAS apps and I had linked them before but this is just a cool desktop app kind of like todo.txt with markdown and kanban.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • I've had to use Leantime (https://leantime.io/) a few times, and so far I really like it.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • A few free options listed here:
    https://github.com/awesome-selfhosted/awesome-selfhosted

I mainly use Trello and Jira with clients.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

We're not gonna get rid of anybody. We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be. When you side with a man, you stay with him. And if you can't do that, you're like some animal, you're finished. We're finished. All of us.

• Anyone using monday.com? Always see ads for it but never tried it.

edited August 2021

@Mr_Tom said:
    Anyone using monday.com? Always see ads for it but never tried it.

Everyone hates monday, ugh 😅
    On another note, I never used it. Looks decent enough and I have heard the name pop-up ever so often.

• edited August 2021

Restya is pretty nice imo:
    https://restya.com/board

For my own personal stuff I don't need anything fancy. I have this setup offline and it's been great:
    https://kanboard.org/

Thanked by (2)Ympker ehab

We're not gonna get rid of anybody. We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be. When you side with a man, you stay with him. And if you can't do that, you're like some animal, you're finished. We're finished. All of us.