Sav.com Domain Registrar: Legit or Nah?

Has anyone here used Sav.com for domains? I see a lot of negative reviews, but many seem to be leaving out details. With the .com price increase coming soon I'm looking to get the cheapest transfers and multi-year renewals for a few names. What are the pros and cons of Sav?

Comments

• edited August 2021

Never used sav.com, but I saw their web have pretty good ui..

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
    Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

• I registered a domain with them a little over a year ago (that I've now let expire) and from my experience they're fine. I only used them as a registrar though and had my nameservers elsewhere (as is normal for most people here I reckon) and I don't have any active domains with them anymore.

Here's a screenshot of the domain management panel if you're interested:

Sav.com panel screenshot

Thanked by (1)cornercase
  • They are 100% legit. They offer a free backorder service which is awesome and it works very well.

Thanked by (2)someTom cornercase
  • edited August 2021

they seem to be legit registrar, though new in this field. Can't say how they respond to abuse/DMCA and other types of complaints. Also their domain suspension policies are not clear. Only time will tell how they react to it.
    Rather stick to good-old registrars like namecheap and namesilo.

• Yes, Sav ok, but much prefer NameSilo. Last time I checked Sav didn't allow you to set custom nameservers via their interface. Might have changed now, haven't used them for awhile.

Thanked by (1)cornercase

We're not gonna get rid of anybody. We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be. When you side with a man, you stay with him. And if you can't do that, you're like some animal, you're finished. We're finished. All of us.

• I used Sav for a few months in 2020 but left because I couldn't figure out how to change my account's password and because 2FA was by SMS only, not sure if that has changed since then. Also, their interface allowed no more than 4 nameservers for a domain, which is enough in most cases but in some others it can be limiting.

Thanked by (1)cornercase
  • @quicksilver03 said:
    I used Sav for a few months in 2020 but left because I couldn't figure out how to change my account's password and because 2FA was by SMS only, not sure if that has changed since then. Also, their interface allowed no more than 4 nameservers for a domain, which is enough in most cases but in some others it can be limiting.

Just checked and sadly, 2FA is still just SMS (or email). No TOTP or anything, so yeah - disappointing:
    2FA options

The latter about the nameservers still seem to be the case. You're limited to 4 nameservers for each domain. As you said though, that's generally (more than) enough for most people.

Thanked by (1)cornercase
  • Legit, but the support takes days to reply, so yea.

Thanked by (1)cornercase
  • You have ample of other choices for peace of mind :D

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• This just landed in my inbox and I thought of sharing it with everyone since this thread exists.

On September 1st, Verisign will increase the prices of .COM domains. While other registrars are increasing prices for their customers, we’re keeping our .COM registration price at an industry low of $6.95. Sav is excited to show our commitment to providing the lowest all-inclusive domain pricing!

Renewals and backorders of .COM domains will change to $8.69. Transfers will stay at our low price of $7.95, which includes an extra year of registration. If we can help you transfer your domain to Sav, just respond to this email and our dedicated support team will reach out.

Thanks for helping make Sav one of the fastest growing domain registrars in history.

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• Hello there. Just want to ask if anyone here actually used their backorder service? What was your experience?

• @mainwindow said:
    Hello there. Just want to ask if anyone here actually used their backorder service? What was your experience?

Used a couple of times so i can confidently say It's free and it is awesome (y)

Thanked by (1)mainwindow
  • @webkesh said:

@mainwindow said:
    Hello there. Just want to ask if anyone here actually used their backorder service? What was your experience?

Used a couple of times so i can confidently say It's free and it is awesome (y)

Thanks for the reply and assurance. Looking forward to using them, since I'm waiting for a domain (.com) to be dropped.