https://yoast.com/exciting-news-yoast-joins-newfold-digital/

Thanks...now I'll> @Ympker said:

@vyas said:
    @Ympker

Nichesss is one of the better ones

36 US dollars using code Annual40

https://stacksocial.com/sales/nichesss-lifetime-subscription

Long form is decent, short form is good. Clounky interface though

Not too expensive, but looks too cluncky for smth that I don't really "need" :P Thanks for sharing, though!

@vyas said:
    Yoast SEO plugin acquired by Bluehost

https://yoast.com/exciting-news-yoast-joins-newfold-digital/

Interesting, thanks for sharing! Isn't that basically selling to EIG? Someone in the comment section mentioned that.
    What's your go-to SEO plugin if you use any? You mentioned you'd optimize texts already for SEO, but I wasn't sure whether you used any plugin?

What plugin to use instead of Yoast, Rankmath?

Probably it boils down to what
    MS said :) Personally, I am eager to give Slimseo a try. I think @bikegremlin uses Seo Framework?! I never used Rankmath so can't comment on that one.

For about a year now, I've switched all the websites to The SEO Framework (TSF).
    For a bit more details, I wrote an article comparing it with Yoast, and mentioning some other alternatives:
    TSF vs Yoast
    (long, boring, in detail, as usual :) )

Coming from Yoast this could be interesting! Thanks mate :)

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • People how you solve the slow backend issue? Sometimes when i have many webpages the backend is sloooooooooow

Dentistry is my passion

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited August 2021

@Chievo said:
    People how you solve the slow backend issue? Sometimes when i have many webpages the backend is sloooooooooow

What do you mean, exactly? Do you have a WordPress website with many pages and your guess is that this is what makes it slow in the backend?

First, try to review every plugin you are using and question yourself whether you really need it. Too many Plugins can quickly become a bottle-neck.

Second: Are your images optimized? If not, sign up for the free plan of ShortPixel and optimize images (size can go down from 5MB to some 500kb-ish which helps a lot. CDN (CF/bunny.net/Stackpath) can also be an option.

Third: Infrastructure of hosting Provider. Is it shared/reseller hosting, or on vps/dedi? What setup is being run? Litespeed with LSCache would be beneficial.

Fourth: Are you using any caching plugin? If Litespeed Webserver try LSCache. Otherwhise, I used to use W3Total Cache.

Of course, many more paints can be considered. Also check how much memory usage limit us defined in wp-config :)

Also check: https://www.wpbeginner.com/wordpress-performance-speed/

Thanked by (1)Chievo
  • @Ympker said:

@Chievo said:
    People how you solve the slow backend issue? Sometimes when i have many webpages the backend is sloooooooooow

What do you mean, exactly? Do you have a WordPress website with many pages and your guess is that this is what makes it slow in the backend?

First, try to review every plugin you are using and question yourself whether you really need it. Too many Plugins can quickly become a bottle-neck.

Second: Are your images optimized? If not, sign up for the free plan of ShortPixel and optimize images (size can go down from 5MB to some 500kb-ish which helps a lot. CDN (CF/bunny.net/Stackpath) can also be an option.

Third: Infrastructure of hosting Provider. Is it shared/reseller hosting, or on vps/dedi? What setup is being run? Litespeed with LSCache would be beneficial.

Fourth: Are you using any caching plugin? If Litespeed Webserver try LSCache. Otherwhise, I used to use W3Total Cache.

Of course, many more paints can be considered. Also check how much memory usage limit us defined in wp-config :)

1.Yes may be too many plugins is the issue.
    2. Yes everyrhing optimized
    3. Vps centminmod
    4. Yes the recomended foe centminmod cache plugin.
    5. Yes memory could be the problem as well 256MB or so.
    I have read that there is bug for google chrome what makes the backend slow. May be i should try to debug step by step

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Dentistry is my passion

edited August 2021

@Chievo said:

@Ympker said:

@Chievo said:

3. Vps centminmod
    I have read that there is bug for google chrome what makes the backend slow. May be i should try to debug step by step

1. Maybe double-check if you need all the Plugins, then :)

2. Nice!

3. and 4. I haven't used Centminmod in a looong while (even more because I am a Debian/Ubuntu guy). I assume everything is fine, however vps does not always outperform shared hosting. Depends on the setup etc. If you have some leftover money get a small lifetime plan @MikePT . Super snappy and powerful hosting with Litespeed :)

5.) 256mb may be too low with so many plugins. Also I/O etc plays a role. Mike has pretty good resource limits, too. Worth a try, I guess :)

Thanked by (1)Chievo
  • johnkjohnk Hosting Provider
    edited August 2021

@Chievo said:

@Ympker said:

@Chievo said:

3. Vps centminmod

1. This is probably the issue. A list of plugins would help - it also depends on what you consider "slow" - 500 msec? 3 seconds? 10 seconds? Some "sluggishness" is expected with more plugins
    2. Optimized images don't matter as far as the backend is concerned.
    3, 4: OK. You don't need litespeed, won't really make a difference
    5: Memory limit doesn't affect performance. You either have enough or don't. 256 M is more than sane, needing any more is a sign of a bad plugin.

First step, see if the issue is actually "backend," meaning the initial server response. A Chrome Waterfall will show this to you.

- If it is, considering running some sort of application tracing - Query Monitor (plugin) will provide basic analytics, while New Relic/Dynatrace/Appdynamics/XRay/XDebug can provide per-function downs 

- Deactivate/remove/optimize as needed based on data
            - Track down where the bottleneck is in the stack - PHP, MySQL, NGINX
            - Track down what is causing the stack bottleneck - io latency? poorly optimized configurations? large run queue?

- If it isn't actually the initial server response giving you problems, find out what. A blocking JS assets in a loop? A non-loading asset blocking render? Sluggish browser CPU?

- Fix as needed.

FWIW....IO (IOPS, IO r/w) limits rarely make a difference on WP unless you're unpacking archives or it's truly severely throttle. Disk load, and thereby queue size + latency impact performance much more, and there's no LVE limit for that.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@Chievo

With WP, at least in my experience, CPU is the bottleneck.

When editing post categories in the backend, you can get a lot of CPU load. For example, say you have 40 posts in category B, which is below category A. If you edit B to set C as its parent category, that will cause some load until WP does all the database edits.

For the slow backend:

What do you mean by "when i have many webpages the backend"?
    You open many pages and edit them at the same time (in several tabs)? Or something else?

What pops to mind is creating a staging website copy and running it in debug mode, to see if there are any errors.
    Hell, for a start, you could even try pressing F12, and choosing the "Network" tab and also taking a look at the "Console" tab - to see if there are any errors as you are picking a page to edit and when you try to save any edits.

Another thing - prolong the autosave interval might help. You do that by adding this to the wp-config.php file:
    // prolonging WP auto-save interval to 300 seconds
    define( 'AUTOSAVE_INTERVAL', 300 );

Thanked by (2)Chievo Ympker

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @bikegremlin said:
    @Chievo

With WP, at least in my experience, CPU is the bottleneck.

When editing post categories in the backend, you can get a lot of CPU load. For example, say you have 40 posts in category B, which is below category A. If you edit B to set C as its parent category, that will cause some load until WP does all the database edits.

For the slow backend:

What do you mean by "when i have many webpages the backend"?
    You open many pages and edit them at the same time (in several tabs)? Or something else?

What pops to mind is creating a staging website copy and running it in debug mode, to see if there are any errors.
    Hell, for a start, you could even try pressing F12, and choosing the "Network" tab and also taking a look at the "Console" tab - to see if there are any errors as you are picking a page to edit and when you try to save any edits.

Another thing - prolong the autosave interval might help. You do that by adding this to the wp-config.php file:
    // prolonging WP auto-save interval to 300 seconds
    define( 'AUTOSAVE_INTERVAL', 300 );

Thanks for your help! Well i mean i have lot of plugins and opening 1 page to edit in the backend it takes me lot of time to be charged. Visual composer plugin that i am using. Yes i must get a try from what @Ympker has said and your advice. I would try do debug and see which could be the problem.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Dentistry is my passion

• @johnk said:

@Chievo said:

@Ympker said:

@Chievo said:

3. Vps centminmod

1. This is probably the issue. A list of plugins would help - it also depends on what you consider "slow" - 500 msec? 3 seconds? 10 seconds? Some "sluggishness" is expected with more plugins
    2. Optimized images don't matter as far as the backend is concerned.
    3, 4: OK. You don't need litespeed, won't really make a difference
    5: Memory limit doesn't affect performance. You either have enough or don't. 256 M is more than sane, needing any more is a sign of a bad plugin.

First step, see if the issue is actually "backend," meaning the initial server response. A Chrome Waterfall will show this to you.

- If it is, considering running some sort of application tracing - Query Monitor (plugin) will provide basic analytics, while New Relic/Dynatrace/Appdynamics/XRay/XDebug can provide per-function downs 

- Deactivate/remove/optimize as needed based on data
            - Track down where the bottleneck is in the stack - PHP, MySQL, NGINX
            - Track down what is causing the stack bottleneck - io latency? poorly optimized configurations? large run queue?

- If it isn't actually the initial server response giving you problems, find out what. A blocking JS assets in a loop? A non-loading asset blocking render? Sluggish browser CPU?

- Fix as needed.

FWIW....IO (IOPS, IO r/w) limits rarely make a difference on WP unless you're unpacking archives or it's truly severely throttle. Disk load, and thereby queue size + latency impact performance much more, and there's no LVE limit for that.

Thanks for the advice. I would try to debug and see what the issue could be.

Dentistry is my passion

• @Ympker said:

@Chievo said:

@Ympker said:

@Chievo said:

3. Vps centminmod

1. Maybe double-check if you need all the Plugins, then :)

2. Nice!

3. and 4. I haven't used Centminmod in a looong while (even more because I am a Debian/Ubuntu guy). I assume everything is fine, however vps does not always outperform shared hosting. Depends on the setup etc. If you have some leftover money get a small lifetime plan @MikePT . Super snappy and powerful hosting with Litespeed :)

5.) 256mb may be too low with so many plugins. Also I/O etc plays a role. Mike has pretty good resource limits, too. Worth a try, I guess :)

Thanks i would see which is the issue and solve it. Let s see

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Dentistry is my passion

• After several years of vaccuum, I am planning to continue writing blog again..

Thanked by (2)Ympker beagle

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
    Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

People seem really to like Divi's new update:

yQq3q.jpg

@chocolateshirt said:
    After several years of vaccuum, I am planning to continue writing blog again..

Give Blocksy Theme a try. Really slick & performant :)

Thanked by (1)chocolateshirt
  • @Ympker said:

yQq3q.jpg

@chocolateshirt said:

Yeah, I hope I could try it..

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

@chocolateshirt said:

@Ympker said:

yQq3q.jpg

@chocolateshirt said:

Yeah, I hope I could try it..

Blocksy Theme is free, so shouldn't be an issue :)

Thanked by (1)chocolateshirt

Blocksy seems slower compared to GeneratePress or OceanWP - at least when looking at GTmetrix test results.
    It's not the worst I've seen, but compared to those other two, I'd call it "OK" in terms of speed.
    It may be "slick & performant" compared to some other themes that offer many design customizations out of the box - haven't compared it to such themes.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

edited August 2021

@bikegremlin said:
    Blocksy seems slower compared to GeneratePress or OceanWP - at least when looking at GTmetrix test results.
    It's not the worst I've seen, but compared to those other two, I'd call it "OK" in terms of speed.
    It may be "slick & performant" compared to some other themes that offer many design customizations out of the box - haven't compared it to such themes.

I'd also add that, while I haven't really tested GP or OceanWP, Blocksy is very beginner friendly and offers many otherwhise often "premium featues" out of the box. My friend from university (she is usually non-tech savy) is super happy with it and created her first blog with it. I also recommended it to another LE member who was looking for a solution for their friend who was also a beginner and from what I was told they seem very happy. Astra was once what I considered slick&light-weigth but tbh I like Blocksy (free) even more than Astra now.

@Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:

I'd also add that, while I haven't really tested GP or OceanWP, Blocksy is very beginner friendly and offers many otherwhise often "premium featues" out of the box. My friend from university (she is usually non-tech savy) is super happy with it and created her first blog with it. I also recommended it to another LE member who was looking for a solution for their friend who was also a beginner and from what I was told they seem very happy. Astra was once what I considered slick&light-weigth but tbh I like Blocksy (free) even more than Astra now.

I gave Blocksy another try - while redesigning my website(s).

Pros:
    The free version offers many options out of the box.
    Menus are nicely and logically sorted.

Big downside (IMO): their CSS uses a lot of "!important"-s. For all I know, that's a sign of a poor design (relying on those).
    And it is a hassle to edit/customize such CSS.

So I couldn't edit any CSS using a child theme, and had to resort to the "Additional CSS" option in the WP backend.

In this case, Blocksy was the easiest way to get to my desired layout (not perfect, no theme is) with a minimal amount of extra "writing" (I wouldn't call that coding). :) But I'm not convinced they really know what they're doing, based on the way CSS is configured. Either that, or it's deliberate, in order to force people to pay for the premium version to get a "normal" CSS (not sure which option is worse).

To clarify: using exactly the same selectors and declarations works from the "Aditional CSS" but doesn't work from a child theme.
    While any edits to the child theme's functions.php work just fine (so I suppose it is not a child theme related problem).

Thanked by (1)Ympker

• Wordpress + divi + lscache on MyW.pt is fcking amazing..

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:

I gave Blocksy another try - while redesigning my website(s).

Pros:
    The free version offers many options out of the box.
    Menus are nicely and logically sorted.

Big downside (IMO): their CSS uses a lot of "!important"-s. For all I know, that's a sign of a poor design (relying on those).
    And it is a hassle to edit/customize such CSS.

So I couldn't edit any CSS using a child theme, and had to resort to the "Additional CSS" option in the WP backend.

In this case, Blocksy was the easiest way to get to my desired layout (not perfect, no theme is) with a minimal amount of extra "writing" (I wouldn't call that coding). :) But I'm not convinced they really know what they're doing, based on the way CSS is configured. Either that, or it's deliberate, in order to force people to pay for the premium version to get a "normal" CSS (not sure which option is worse).

To clarify: using exactly the same selectors and declarations works from the "Aditional CSS" but doesn't work from a child theme.
    While any edits to the child theme's functions.php work just fine (so I suppose it is not a child theme related problem).

Glad you had another look at Blocksy (free). I was also very surprised to see this many "premium" options available for free. Especially felt like everything I was looking for was exactly where I'd imagined it had to be. Thus, very intuitive. I haven't checked their code, but that seems indeed a bit "bad practice" :/ I also feel, while it can be really awesome, Blocksy is still somewhat half-baked. That is why I did not purchase the agency license yet.

@chocolateshirt said:
    Wordpress + divi + lscache on MyW.pt is fcking amazing..

I know, right? :D

edited August 2021

@Ympker said:

I also feel, while it can be really awesome, Blocksy is still somewhat half-baked. That is why I did not purchase the agency license yet.

I was looking at their lifetime offer with those exact thoughts. Decided to wait.

Edit - regarding Blocksy child CSS:
    https://creativethemes.com/blocksy/docs/general/child-theme/

Thanked by (1)Ympker

For a bit of a laugh - BikeGremlin website redesign (still a work in progress). :)

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@bikegremlin said:
    For a bit of a laugh - BikeGremlin website redesign (still a work in progress). :)

Blocksy definitely makes it look quite "clean&elegant". Good luck!

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • Look up themes by
    https://alx.media/
    in addition to Anders Noren for a 'off the beaten path' flavour

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin Ympker
  • Hope someone here gives me 1 divi license :)

edited August 2021

@nyamenk said:
    Hope someone here gives me 1 divi license :)

Pmed you. I don't do this for free anymore, but I won't charge much either ;)

Thanked by (1)nyamenk
  • With all this talk of page builders does no one build using Gutenberg (+ custom blocks)?

Thanked by (1)Ympker
    edited August 2021

@Mr_Tom said:
    With all this talk of page builders does no one build using Gutenberg (+ custom blocks)?

On my own homepage, I currently use WPAstra Theme (Pro) + Gutenberg Blocks+Qubely Pro Pagebuilder (which offers custom Gutenberg Blocks).

• I still don't like Gutenberg ... I was excited for it to arrive, and then ended up using the Classic editor ASAP when it did ... :p

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@flips said:
    I still don't like Gutenberg ... I was excited for it to arrive, and then ended up using the Classic editor ASAP when it did ... :p

Yeah, still not much a fan of Gutenberg either. Especially vanilla (without any custom block plugins). But even with.. meh.

Thanked by (1)flips