Most reliable big hosting brands?

armandorgarmandorg Services Provider

We all started from somewhere.. most likely some current EIG company.

Are you still hosting any website/project currently in any of these big brands like hostgator, godaddy, bluehost.. etc? If yes what was your experience with them and who do you think is the most reliable big hosting brand?

My best personal experience was siteground. Somewhere was worth the money for it's shared hosting service.

Web Design Agency - Custom Web Designs
WHMCS.design - WHMCS Themes | Blesta.shop - Blesta Themes

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

Siteground wasn't bad when I left them. They were quite decent but I decided to go elsewhere, regardless. For many of my managed clients, I use IONOS which is also a big brand and people seem to trust them since they are well known in Germany.

Thanked by (1)webhostingservers
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

Can I ask when you both left SiteGround? Was it before or after they left cPanel behind? @armandorg @Ympker

I don’t use any big boys directly now, only indirectly through working with clients

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited August 2021

@MichaelCee said:
    Can I ask when you both left SiteGround? Was it before or after they left cPanel behind? @armandorg @Ympker

I don’t use any big boys directly now, only indirectly through working with clients

I don't remember exactly. It must have been 2-3 years ago iirc. I think that was before they had developed their own panel but I am not sure. Iirc they used cPanel with a dead-old cPanel skin back then?!

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee
  • bruh21bruh21 Hosting Provider

i just can't fathom paying more than a few bucks monthly for shared. i think it should be cheap always, but they obviously have to make up for marketing budget

• armandorgarmandorg Services Provider

@MichaelCee said:

5 years ago for me

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Web Design Agency - Custom Web Designs
    WHMCS.design - WHMCS Themes | Blesta.shop - Blesta Themes

• HostGator is for me the alpha and omega in big biz hosting industry. Why? Support + no matter how much sh1t do you put (wp plugins), it will work.

• souensouen OG
    edited August 2021

MediaTemple used to be all right years ago, before GoDaddy got to them. A friend had service with them for over 10 years, uptime was good until around the time it was acquired, around 2013. Then it was MySQL connect errors every few months, occasionally 2-3 times a month.

Possibly Dreamhost, if it counts as a big brand? My last indirect experience with them was a few years ago though. MySQL was a bit slow, but uptime was decent. Support response was timely, if not necessarily helpful. The site wasn't pushy with add-ons or upsells, which is more than can be said for some big brands.

• I still have some sites hosted with following:

• Godaddy (sometimes better, sometimes has connection problems, but sites do load faster, but not suitable for wordpress. I moved out WP sites.)
    • Bluehost (I had one somewhere in 2005 or 2006 which was better than all, then it went crap in 2018 onwards)
    • A Small Orange (was prem when it was private entity now another EIG crap)
    • A2 Hosting (better than all but costly plan)
    • Bigrock (slowest loading speed)
  • OVH is also nice, i mean they shared or "private shared".

• Namecheap

• Google cloud and AWS :-)

Among the “traditional“ webhosts,

I started with Godaddy like many, followed by Hostgator. Both best avoided for WP. Have heard mixed reactions to Siteground.

Any conversation about Webhosting typically migrates towards WordPress hosting, so I will stop here

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider
    edited August 2021

I used to use NameCheap website hosting back in 2018 for a project, it worked fine and I was able to store ~100-150GB on their "Stellar Plus" plan without issue. Only main problem is that if you (or an attacker) has a script that sends a lot of requests, it can be taken down fairly easily (they have some sort of ratelimiting mechanism).

I am a representative of Advin Servers

• As a very newbie web admin myself; I used Knownhost managed VPS for my mother's cheerleading business site I helped to run for her. but now, her site moving to Squarespace. I respect her choice. At least I learn a little about hosting stuff during that time. I consider Knownhost as my favorite big hosting brand from my view of point.

• I'd used Arvixe back then, it was pretty solid for me.

• Google app engine? Price is uber reasonable. Although Google kicked my sites out, I'm still using Bigquery and many other GCP services, secretly. Recently I'm rocking with epik/skysilk/ecatel/leaseweb, among them Ecatel is the best, if you are running forums for sensitive subjects in the states.