Alternatives to hetzner ax101?

Currently running a game-2 with ovh, 5800x, 64gb ram, 2 x 1tb nvmes, but i am running out of cpu resources during peak usage when alot of people are using the stuff i host. I want to upgrade it to a 5950x or similar, but ovh doesnt have this. Hetzner does, but i hear so much different things about their ddos protection, so i dont dear to pull the trigger there. Some of the workload on the current server is game servers, and those are targeted by ddos pretty much every day. Ovh handles this great.

Reqs :

5950x or similar performing cpu(s)
64gb or more ram
2 x 1tb nvmes or more
1gbit, preferably possible to upgrade to 10gbit
ddos protection without alot of delay
Location Eu, preferably central.

Prepared to pay more than ovh and hetzner if needed. I want to see offers and get tips from different providers. Note that the ddos protection is critical for this.

Thank you

Comments

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

Ever considered splitting the things you run on that server to more than one server?

For instance, keep the game servers with OVh since you are satisfied with their DDoS protection, and move other things to a Hetzner server, or anywhere else.

Thanked by (1)Hetzner_OL

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• @mikho said:
    Ever considered splitting the things you run on that server to more than one server?

For instance, keep the game servers with OVh since you are satisfied with their DDoS protection, and move other things to a Hetzner server, or anywhere else.

Yes, i have considered it, and that might be the best solution. However, i find it simpler to manage 1 invoice, 1 set of backups, updates and everything else around it. I know it is bad practice, but it is how i like things.

• I'm not sure if DSH have 5950X, they have 5900 for sure. Contact with them :) https://deinserverhost.de/ Their servers are in Combahton, I didn't had any problems with antyddos yet

• What about using an OVH VPS or BuyVM with DDoS protected IP and tunneling it to an AX101?

Not into gaming so not sure if that would affect things negatively?

• @Mr_Tom said:
    What about using an OVH VPS or BuyVM with DDoS protected IP and tunneling it to an AX101?

Not into gaming so not sure if that would affect things negatively?

This has actually been my backup plan. I have done this in the past, and it works alright. However, it will add some ping, and speed may also be decreased

• @Kaffekopp I am curious.
    What game is it?
    And do you use microservices (ex. docker) or you run a hypervisor (ex. proxmox) on top?

• @Janevski said:
    @Kaffekopp I am curious.
    What game is it?
    And do you use microservices (ex. docker) or you run a hypervisor (ex. proxmox) on top?

Im running bare metal at the moment, but used to run it under proxmox.

I am hosting mostly minecraft and Rust servers. However, the same server runs plex, around 10 websites, ftp with ALOT of traffic (gdrive + rclone = <3), personal vpn, nextcloud and a few other things aswell

Thanked by (1)Janevski
  • edited August 2021

@Kaffekopp said: I am hosting mostly minecraft and Rust servers. However, the same server runs plex, around 10 websites, ftp with ALOT of traffic (gdrive + rclone = ), personal vpn, nextcloud and a few other things aswell

you'll definitely benefit more from splitting things across two boxes instead of just aiming for a bigger cpu and stuff. if you're happy with OVH just get a second box from them, maybe even SYS for cost effectiveness and depending on how to split ;-)

with proxmox you could build a cluster though and move guests... so much options here.

ed: and didn't you have an ax101 with Hetzner at least for a month or so? one could have put it to the test with some gameservers then... just sayin' ;-)

• @Falzo said:

@Kaffekopp said: I am hosting mostly minecraft and Rust servers. However, the same server runs plex, around 10 websites, ftp with ALOT of traffic (gdrive + rclone = ), personal vpn, nextcloud and a few other things aswell

you'll definitely benefit more from splitting things across two boxes instead of just aiming for a bigger cpu and stuff. if you're happy with OVH just get a second box from them, maybe even SYS for cost effectiveness and depending on how to split ;-)

with proxmox you could build a cluster though and move guests... so much options here.

ed: and didn't you have an ax101 with Hetzner at least for a month or so? one could have put it to the test with some gameservers then... just sayin' ;-)

i mean, i CAN break it up. I just think it is really nice to have it together. If running in a small vm, it is a single file to backup (or import somewhere else if needed) if things goes bad. It is simpler to maintain and everything

• Looks like i am going to break it up into 2 or more boxes. Does anyone have experience with ovh normal ddos protection, and not their game protection? Their faq says game ddos protection includes protection on certain protocols and layer-7 attacks. Does this mean their normal protection does not?

• LowHostingLowHosting Hosting Provider

@Kaffekopp said:
    Looks like i am going to break it up into 2 or more boxes. Does anyone have experience with ovh normal ddos protection, and not their game protection? Their faq says game ddos protection includes protection on certain protocols and layer-7 attacks. Does this mean their normal protection does not?

TCP protection is pretty similar on both, what really changes a lot and is much more protected on OVH Game is the UDP.

So if you're running UDP games, go with OVH Game.

LowHosting.com - LowHosting.org