Is someone using Plesk panel?

Hello! I see cPanel and Plesk are in the same boat (WebPros HoldCo B.V.). Has anyone used the new Plesk Obsidian?

I think to move all my cPanel accounts to Plesk as it's cheaper.

I see they have an easy migration tool https://www.plesk.com/extensions/panel-migrator/

Tagged:

Comments

• edited August 2021

Hi Friend! Sooner or later Plesk's pricing is also going to be per account once its userbase is large enough. So instead of migrating again & again why not choose DirectAdmin or ApisCP? They are most viable cPanel alternatives available & they also provide an easy to use migration tool/script. Also their don't have dickheadish pricing policies.

Thanked by (1)nyamenk

Recommend: MyRoot.PW|BuyVM|Inception Hosting|Prometeus

• edited August 2021

@vpsgeek3333 said:
    Hi Friend! Sooner or later Plesk's pricing is also going to be per account once its userbase is large enough. So instead of migrating again & again why not choose DirectAdmin or ApisCP? They are most viable cPanel alternatives available & they also provide an easy to use migration tool/script. Also their don't have dickheadish pricing policies.

The problem is in clients. Here in Europe they're common with Plesk and cP, as I have just business clients. I've showed them DirectAdmin, Plesk, Webuzo, Webmin, Keyhelp demos and they're all fine with Plesk UI. Some of them have used Plesk Onyx in past, so Obsidian won't be a problem.

Dedicated server is at IONOS, and they're offering me Plesk unlimited for free. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• @Amadex said:

@vpsgeek3333 said:

The problem is in clients. Here in Europe they're common with Plesk and cP, as I have just business clients. I've showed them DirectAdmin, Plesk, Webuzo, Webmin, Keyhelp demos and they're all fine with Plesk UI. Some of them have used Plesk Onyx in past, so Obsidian won't be a problem.

Dedicated server is at IONOS, and they're offering me Plesk unlimited for free. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Meanwhile they are aware of the price jumping policy of the company ;)

Dentistry is my passion

• Plesk is quite good. Not as good as cPanel but comparable to DirectAdmin imo. All the other panel don't fit business demand well in my experience.

• Their extesions thing is interresting, it's just plug n play

https://www.plesk.com/extensions/

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

i think plesk is slow. directadmin might be better.

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider
    edited August 2021

Have worked with a few dozen clients using Plesk over the last few months. It’s ok software but don’t expect everything to work properly, for instance with the migration tool. The useful part of that for me is the email migrations but for apps the softaculous importer works far better.

• Plesk is indeed good alternative to cPanel. Quite matching features and functionality. Most users only use features like, domain, email, php selector, and one-click app install, and mysql database. And these features are well crafted in Plesk and DirectAdmin too. Plesk Onyx is fast. I'm not sure about Obsidian though!

• @nickelodeon

"Plesk Obsidian is more robust than its predecessor Onyx, making it easier to avoid outages. A big difference between Plesk Obsidian and the previous version Onyx is the integration of the security tools ModSecurity and Fail2ban." - InternetX.com

Thanked by (1)nickelodeon
  • johnkjohnk Hosting Provider

Onyx is also EOL, so there's that.

i think plesk is slow. directadmin might be better.

The panel, or sites hosted on it? For the most part I've seen neither be the case.

Have worked with a few dozen clients using Plesk over the last few months. It’s ok software but don’t expect everything to work properly, for instance with the migration tool. The useful part of that for me is the email migrations but for apps the softaculous importer works far better.

There are some kinks, but their import tool works great for the most part

• I've installed it to play around lol https://server-amadex.com/

looks very nice, love the panel

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider
    edited August 2021

I use Plesk for infrastructure, and I love it so much. I don't like DirectAdmin or ApisCP. The file manager on ApisCP is especially horrendous.

Thanked by (1)webcraft

I am a representative of Advin Servers

• Used to use Plesk some years ago.

I won't use it now, simply due to a matter of principle.

Plesk = Cpanel

Thanked by (1)AlbaHost

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• johnkjohnk Hosting Provider

Plesk = Cpanel

I disagree - the direction they're taking is very different. cPanel is and always has been geared towards large, shared hosting companies with many accounts on one server, which is probably one of the reasons for the price change.

Plesk primarily does target single sites/site owners who want to throw their site on a VPS and get a panel. That's not to say WebPros/Oakley won't get greedy again and milk out every single cent they can - I don't think it's as likely as some people make out though.

Who know. Maybe I'll eat my own words in a few months

• AlbaHostAlbaHost Hosting Provider

@johnk said:

Plesk = Cpanel

Plesk primarily does target single sites/site owners who want to throw their site on a VPS and get a panel. That's not to say WebPros/Oakley won't get greedy again and milk out every single cent they can - I don't think it's as likely as some people make out though.

Oakley are well known for such things so, never trust them.

wWw.AlbaHost.Net .AL domains, Dedicated Servers, VPS/VDS and Hosting Services. Geo located in Albania.

• I've used Plesk Obsidian and it feels slow for me.
    but the thing that worries me the most is that Plesk and Cpanel are in the same company.
    I don't want to fall into the same mistake.
    So, I use ApisCP and can sleep well

• I usually spin up an instance at Vultr that comes with Plesk (and license) pre-installed, whenever I have the need for some temporary shared hosting space. Maybe not the way it is supposed to be used, but I find it very easy to for example upgrade small websites.