LES and 500GB RAM

havochavoc OGContent Writer

Was reading this article about 500GB DDR5 modules the other day and realised that might have sizable implications for LES style providers in the sense that there is a big jump in usefulness between a VPS with 512mb versus say 4gb.

Or put differently the bottom end of the VPS market might get quite a boost out of the overall RAM market undergoing such a big uplift in raw numbers.

Thoughts?

Tagged:

Comments

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

Interesting, I suspect it could be 3 - 5 years after the retail launch before this is truly seen in the LE* world though as I am betting the price will be SKY HIGH!!!! for those modules.

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• @InceptionHosting said:
    Interesting, I suspect it could be 3 - 5 years after the retail launch before this is truly seen in the LE* world though as I am betting the price will be SKY HIGH!!!! for those modules.

By that time an IPv4 will cost $1,000 anyway. /s

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

@InceptionHosting said:

Yep. Certainly not expecting it to show up here any time soon.

Doesn't need to though. If the big boys introduce it, the rest of the industry will get a RAM uplift too...either directly from older gen hardware trickling down or from pressure in that LES providers need to stay competitive vs what users can spin up on GCP.

So either way I think consumers will see a big jump in the avg RAM amount at all levels of the market

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

Maybe, but still, at scale even the big boys may shy away until it is required, that is a lot of money to spend potentially.

for example, a 32GB module of DDR4 server ram is roughly $200 so it is likely with these being DDR5 and the amount of ram on them we can expect a 4x uplift so around $6000 per stick, that is not to mention the full hardware swap etc, I dont expect they will be rushing for the VPS industry anyway, MAYBE amazon, MS etc, but I suspect they won't pass on the benefit but rather use it to reduce their own management footprint internally, the market will continue to pay anyway and why managed 100,000 servers when you can remove half your staff and manage 1000 :D

Could go a lot of ways I guess, time will tell.

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.