All Things WordPress Discussions

Comments

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer
    edited September 2021

@Unixfy said:
    Any recommendations for image optimization plugins/services (that are cheap)? I know this was discussed before but can't quite find where it was...

LiteSpeed cache plugin does image optimization too, and it does it well.
    The plugin is free but requires a LiteSpeed server to run properly.

I usually use squoosh.app - online, before uploading.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @vyas said:
    shh... don't tell @ympker...

Results from google's web.dev testing tool for
    ClassicPress v 1.3 on VPS (ReadyDedis, Mumbai 4 GB BF 2020 plan) + CF + caching, etc...theme is Generatepress or Hestia (testing both)
    Existing site (my blog) with over 150 posts, 18 plugins.

I have almost* migrated my blog site from WP to CP. And quite happy with results.

Update:
    I broke the site (intentionally) - PHP 8 instead of 7.4 and now we have bliss! Restore from backup in action fixed

Wutt, my blog performance on mobile just below 50% while others above 90.. ☹️☹️☹️

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
    Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@Unixfy said:
    Any recommendations for image optimization plugins/services (that are cheap)? I know this was discussed before but can't quite find where it was...

I am very happy with Shortpixel. Their free plan comes with 100(?) optimized images/month :)

Thanked by (1)Unixfy
  • @bikegremlin said:

@Unixfy said:

That’s another approach.. ls server + ls cache + quic.cloud. For low volume sites should be free

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • @Unixfy said: Any recommendations for image optimization plugins/services (that are cheap)? I know this was discussed before but can't quite find where it was...

I do it via cron. Run jpegoptim/optipng etc but also generate a webp version of every image and then nginx is configured to send the webp version if it exists (and client headers support it).

Thanked by (2)vyas Unixfy
  • @Mr_Tom said:

@Unixfy said: Any recommendations for image optimization plugins/services (that are cheap)? I know this was discussed before but can't quite find where it was...

I do it via cron. Run jpegoptim/optipng etc but also generate a webp version of every image and then nginx is configured to send the webp version if it exists (and client headers support it).

What do you use for conversion to webp? What does your cron job read like ? Thx

• @vyas said: What do you use for conversion to webp? What does your cron job read like ? Thx

I use the below to check if a .webp version exists, if not use convert to create it. The filename becomes image.png.webp for example, but that's how nginx checks (and also means it can serve the png if browser doesn't support webp)

12 2 * * * find /wordpress/uploads/directory/ -type f -iname '*.jpeg' -exec sh -c ' [ -e "${1}.webp" ] || convert "$1" -quality 75 "$1".webp;' _ {} \;
    22 2 * * * find /wordpress/uploads/directory/ -type f -iname '*.jpg' -exec sh -c ' [ -e "${1}.webp" ] || convert "$1" -quality 75 "$1".webp;' _ {} \;
    32 2 * * * find /wordpress/uploads/directory/ -type f -iname '*.png' -exec sh -c ' [ -e "${1}.webp" ] || convert "$1" -quality 75 "$1".webp;' _ {} \;

Thanked by (3)vyas Ympker ehab

@chocolateshirt said:

@vyas said:

ClassicPress v 1.3 on VPS (ReadyDedis, Mumbai 4 GB BF 2020 plan) + CF + caching, etc...theme is Generatepress or Hestia (testing both)

I have almost* migrated my blog site from WP to CP. And quite happy with results.

Update:
    I broke the site (intentionally) - PHP 8 instead of 7.4 and now we have bliss! Restore from backup in action fixed

Wutt, my blog performance on mobile just below 50% while others above 90.. ☹️☹️☹️

What setup, themes, plugins, cdn are you using?

• @Ympker said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@vyas said:

Update:

MyW.pt shared hosting + WP + Divi (currently turned off CSS optimization) + LS Cache (currently turned off cache) + QUIC DNS

https://baubus.uk

Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

@vyas said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Unixfy said:

That’s another approach.. ls server + ls cache + quic.cloud. For low volume sites should be free

It does the job for each image. Unless you get it started on a website with hundreds of thousands of images, it should be able to keep running even on a large website.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• vyasvyas OG
    edited September 2021

@chocolateshirt said:

@Ympker said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@vyas said:

Update:

MyW.pt shared hosting + WP + Divi (currently turned off CSS optimization) + LS Cache (currently turned off cache) + QUIC DNS

At a minimum mate,:

a. Use Autooptimizer plugin , choose options:
    minimize css + minimize js (and bring both inline) . Also compress html

b. Check the timing for caching

c. Do you really need Divi for a relatively light blog? Take a look at Generatepress or even Go by GoDaddy.

d. Sign up with Quic.cloud - since hosting is on litespeed, you should get some goodies there. At a minimum- use a cdn like statically for some of the files.

Ref:

1. https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=https://baubus.uk

2. Extract from
      https://lighthouse-dot-webdotdevsite.appspot.com//lh/html?url=https://baubus.uk

Made a video that's boring and funny at the same time. :)

The story of my website redesign (hadn't known about figma.com until relatively recently):

Thanked by (2)Ympker vyas

@bikegremlin said:
    Made a video that's boring and funny at the same time. :)

The story of my website redesign (hadn't known about figma.com until relatively recently):

Will watch this later! Figma is a cool design tool, indeed :) I use it sometimes to quickly mock-up pages.

• @vyas said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@Ympker said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@vyas said:

Update:

At a minimum mate,:

a. Use Autooptimizer plugin , choose options:
    minimize css + minimize js (and bring both inline) . Also compress html

b. Check the timing for caching

c. Do you really need Divi for a relatively light blog? Take a look at Generatepress or even Go by GoDaddy.

d. Sign up with Quic.cloud - since hosting is on litespeed, you should get some goodies there. At a minimum- use a cdn like statically for some of the files.

Ref:

1. https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=https://baubus.uk

2. Extract from
      https://lighthouse-dot-webdotdevsite.appspot.com//lh/html?url=https://baubus.uk

Thank you for providing some hints on my blog @vyas :

• Point a & b - I will check the plugin and cache configuration and experiment with it.
    • Point c - I am trying to optimize divi for very light blog, maybe I will consider use another option for blog base.
    • Point d, I already use quic.cloud DNS, I will check whether there is miss configiration on it

@bikegremlin very nice and interesting video, mate! Thanks for sharing :) Subscribed!

For a bit of a laugh. :)

Thanked by (2)Ympker chocolateshirt

• vyasvyas OG
    edited September 2021

@Mr_Tom said:

@vyas said: What do you use for conversion to webp? What does your cron job read like ? Thx

I use the below to check if a .webp version exists, if not use convert to create it. The filename becomes image.png.webp for example, but that's how nginx checks (and also means it can serve the png if browser doesn't support webp)

12 2 * * * find /wordpress/uploads/directory/ -type f -iname '*.jpeg' -exec sh -c ' [ -e "${1}.webp" ] || convert "$1" -quality 75 "$1".webp;' _ {} \;
    22 2 * * * find /wordpress/uploads/directory/ -type f -iname '*.jpg' -exec sh -c ' [ -e "${1}.webp" ] || convert "$1" -quality 75 "$1".webp;' _ {} \;
    32 2 * * * find /wordpress/uploads/directory/ -type f -iname '*.png' -exec sh -c ' [ -e "${1}.webp" ] || convert "$1" -quality 75 "$1".webp;' _ {} \;

I tried the below on local machine (Manjaro) using the web.dev instructions, worked rather well. That way, I can set up a cron job on local and then upload onto server of choice. (That's the working theory)

$sudo pacman -S libwebp

say in folder BGImg (real scenario- for our Baalgatha Podcast) I want to convert all files to webp: But I start with one file.

Original filesize: 2.4MB
    using jpegoptim reduced to 254 KB
    convert to webp to get 153 odd kB

——

Converting directly from the high res to webp gives 645 odd kb, that's why two steps. Once can of course reduce the quality in the

-q 

parameter. I prefer 80 percent. To convert all files in folder whole preserving file name, we get

<

pre>`for file in ./*; do cwebp -q 80 "$file" -o "${file%.*}.webp";

<

pre>
    Sample output for onenimage

done`Saving file './BGImg-Chor-Danav.webp'
    File:      ./BGImg-Chor-Danav.jpg
    Dimension: 286 x 190
    Output:    8010 bytes Y-U-V-All-PSNR 40.92 42.99 43.02   41.51 dB
               (1.18 bpp)
    block count:  intra4:        125  (57.87%)
                  intra16:        91  (42.13%)
                  skipped:        71  (32.87%)
    bytes used:  header:            207  (2.6%)
                 mode-partition:    685  (8.6%)
     Residuals bytes  |segment 1|segment 2|segment 3|segment 4|  total
        macroblocks:  |      12%|      18%|      28%|      43%|     216
          quantizer:  |      27 |      24 |      20 |      14 |
       filter level:  |       8 |       6 |       4 |       2 |

@Mr_Tom said:

but that's how nginx checks (and also means it can serve the png if browser doesn't support webp)

Does that elimitate the use for and good ol's
    image will do the trick?

Thanked by (2)Mr_Tom Ympker

LowEndSpirit is now officially approved! :)

https://io.bikegremlin.com/18172/questions/

I think this is a positive, healthy community (well, at least as far as online communities go), and we should help it grow. :)

Thanked by (2)ehab Ympker

• vyasvyas OG
    edited September 2021

@vyas said:

Correct code is

`for file in images/*; do cwebp -q 50 "$file" -o "${file%.*}.webp"; done`

the

`

is included

Spent some time with AVIF format as well today,

• johnkjohnk Hosting Provider

Hey ya'll - we've been working on something fun recently and would love to get everyone's feedback.

Unused CSS is something we get quite a few complaints about, so we've developed a tool to strip all of it and compile a single optimized stylesheet with only necessary CSS rules.

In beta currently (UI sucks, I know), but open to any other feedback!

https://purge.staging.cam/

(Enter your domain, and it'll crawl + parse CSS files for the entire site.)

Thanked by (2)Ympker chocolateshirt

@johnk said:
    Hey ya'll - we've been working on something fun recently and would love to get everyone's feedback.

Unused CSS is something we get quite a few complaints about, so we've developed a tool to strip all of it and compile a single optimized stylesheet with only necessary CSS rules.

In beta currently (UI sucks, I know), but open to any other feedback!

https://purge.staging.cam/

(Enter your domain, and it'll crawl + parse CSS files for the entire site.)

Interesting! Thanks for sharing :)

Thanked by (1)johnk

Anyone (or most already? :) ) tried PHP 8.0?

I wanted to wait until most of the themes and plugins have been patched and tested.

Now seems like a good time to try - so I did. The first test results seem fine - no problems with the themes and plugins I'm using.

Of course, a safe bet would be to wait for the 8.1+ versions.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited September 2021

I am tinkering around with Twentig plugin/ templates for customizing stock TwentyTwenty and TwentyOne themes.
    looking good so far !

-Yes, most of these can be done via css
    -Yes, requires adding one more plugin
    https://twentig.com/

• @bikegremlin said:

I wanted to wait until most of the themes and plugins have been patched and tested.

Now seems like a good time to try - so I did. The first test results seem fine - no problems with the themes and plugins I'm using.

It depends on the provider, I think. And, also on the PHP options one has enabled. I have a provider who still gives White Screen of Death when updating the PHP to 8.0. But most of the other providers don't. So, try on your host. I think HostMantis (if you're still with them) does not have any issues with 8.0.

MS said:

@bikegremlin said:

It depends on the provider, I think. And, also on the PHP options one has enabled. I have a provider who still gives White Screen of Death when updating the PHP to 8.0. But most of the other providers don't. So, try on your host. I think HostMantis (if you're still with them) does not have any issues with 8.0.

Yes, still mainly HostMantis. Tried the 8.0 - looking good so far.
    Slight performance improvements, with nothing broken.

But it is hectic. 7.4. seems like yesterday, yet EOL (security support only) is in two months! :)
    And 8.0 doesn't seem tested well enough.

It often seems like they're pushing updates for updates' sake. :(

Thanked by (2)_MS_ chocolateshirt

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

Does anyone still remember that I created a poll about letting WordPress (capital P) have its own category?

Well, it has been done: https://talk.lowendspirit.com/categories/wordpress
    Let's create new topics instead of having one big WordPress post.
    This post will be kept open, but it might get closed if needed.

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

@mikho said:
    Does anyone still remember that I created a poll about letting WordPress (capital P) have its own category?

Thanks for making this happen, @mikho ! Was looking forward to that :)

How I built my website - theme, plugin choice, custom code etc:

https://io.bikegremlin.com/22393/how-i-built-this-wordpress-website/

• As close as it gets to step-by-step without being too long. :)

edited September 2021

An "idiot-friendly" (just how I like and need it :) ) step-by-step tutorial on
    how to add Google AdSense to a WordPress website.

I've also covered the AdSense for AMP website versions - for those who use it.

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@mikho said:

@bikegremlin
    Care to create new topics instead of posting in this one?

Sure you will get more attention to your posts 👍

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin Ympker

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg