VPS/Server Management SaaS/Portal/Platform?

BlaZeBlaZe Hosting ProviderOG
edited September 2021 in General

I happen to own VPSDB.com which is an aged domain (reg in 2011) and idk why but I'm not very keen on selling it (unless I get a good offer)

So, rather than selling it, I had an idea, which isn't novel per say but perhaps it might just work?

A VPS/Server Management Platform/SaaS/Portal? (whatever you call it)
Please do not confuse it with a control panel, rather it will be a platform where people (mostly idlers :p) can just put their VPS/server details like - IP, renewal date, price, host, etc. for easier management & handling of renewals, etc.

Can even have integration HetrixTools or any other uptime monitor (via their API) to see the status of all the VMs at one dashboard as well. Or more can be done if agreed upon.

Example:
DomainMOD.org / DNMin.com - but for servers/VPS

I'm not a web developer or good in any programming language else I'd start the project. I'm looking to collaborate/partner up with someone who is willing to take this up as a side/hobby project.

We can figure out ways to monetize it in future - if this thing really kicks off but I'm inclined towards creating a free platform for people (giving back to the community).

Also, if anyone fears that I might ghost out or kick the "partner/collaborator" off when things go good in future, please don't, I value my reputation more than money.

I'm open to ideas.

(Posting this to LET & HT too)

ExoticVM.com - Find VPS in exotic locations!

Comments

• Time flies... I did have some PoC more or less there but might need someone good at Linux to help, maybe some funds / sponsors could help fuel the project as well

More info / context: https://talk.lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/52107/#Comment_52107

• BlaZeBlaZe Hosting ProviderOG

Understood. I actually got inspired from that thread & few other threads in the past. Had the idea in my mind since long and coincidentally landed a good domain to be used for such a project.

• I've been considering something like this for a while too - but other projects got in the way so I never made a start.

It'd be a good way for people/companies who do server management that's a mix of their own servers plus clients own servers too.

• NeoonNeoon OG
    edited September 2021

Stupid idea.

1. Centralize shit
    2. Imagine the SAAS getting hackdoored #nightmare

There is no bulletproof code, you going to have a flaw, that will some day will chuckle down your nuts.
    Even if your do different databases or databases servers for each costumer, this only reduces the risk of a flaw in your software, that could expose the wrong data.

However, if something big enough, that can #rek your entire stack, of hosted instances, baba yaga.
    The funny thing is, if its self hosted, people can DO something against such threat if its hosted, you are fucked.

It may be cheap, sounds easy, but if the shit is going sideways, you better be somewhere else.
    Do you still remember that day, when #ramnode was opened like a fish can and others to?

Imagine this, but bigger.

• FAT32FAT32 OG
    edited September 2021

@Neoon said:
    Stupid idea.

1. Centralize shit

I have that figured out and have solution :) Of course I am not giving out the solution for free.

• @FAT32 said:

@Neoon said:
    Stupid idea.

1. Centralize shit

I have that figured out and have solution :) Of course I am not giving out the solution for free.

You mean by splitting the costumers on different machines and networks?
    That is what billingserv already does.

You still have the single point of failure here.

Thanked by (1)BlaZe
  • @Neoon said:

Current plan is a mix of self-hosted and central servers.

There is always places that can go wrong, just like all the outdated softwares, OS vulnerabilities etc. You can't 100% be sure anything is safe, based on your logic if any Control Panel / Billing Panel is compromised (eg. SolusVM/Virtualizor/WHMCS), all the data will be potentially be compromised as well.

Thanked by (1)BlaZe

@Mr_Tom said:
    I've been considering something like this for a while too - but other projects got in the way so I never made a start.

It'd be a good way for people/companies who do server management that's a mix of their own servers plus clients own servers too.

Ah!

Yep, a server management company can definitely benefit out from this.

@Neoon said:
    Stupid idea.

1. Centralize shit

There is no bulletproof code, you going to have a flaw, that will some day will chuckle down your nuts.
    Even if your do different databases or databases servers for each costumer, this only reduces the risk of a flaw in your software, that could expose the wrong data.

However, if something big enough, that can #rek your entire stack, of hosted instances, baba yaga.
    The funny thing is, if its self hosted, people can DO something against such threat if its hosted, you are fucked.

It may be cheap, sounds easy, but if the shit is going sideways, you better be somewhere else.
    Do you still remember that day, when #ramnode was opened like a fish can and others to?

Imagine this, but bigger.

Nah, don't want to store any server credentials/keys on the platform. Just information like what you'd put in an excel sheet but presented in a better UX maybe.

For start can totally ignore storing server passwords/keys. Perhaps can have this as a premium feature or something with obvious time to time 3rd party security audits, etc.
    Considering the fact of getting hacked - hey even Google/Microsoft gets fcuked time to time :D the only difference would be, they got the best engineers worldwide to quickly patch things up.

This can even be an Open Source self-hosted project with some "plugins" as a paid feature/upgrade in future. I'm just gauging the interest.

• NeoonNeoon OG
    edited September 2021

@FAT32 said:

@Neoon said:

There is always places that can go wrong, just like all the outdated softwares, OS vulnerabilities etc. You can't 100% be sure anything is safe,

Indeed.

based on your logic if any Control Panel / Billing Panel is compromised (eg. SolusVM/Virtualizor/WHMCS), all the data will be potentially be compromised as well.

Yes, if the billing panel, can destroy or create virtual machines, it basically has full access to the control panel.
    I have seen the Virtualizor API, there is no such thing like permissions.

I am pretty confident, if WHCMS is going to have another hole, its going to be a shitshow.
    If the API's would be good isolated, the billing panel could get hacked without a worry, I mean less of a worry.

• :) Very nice domain

I hope you could build a successful project with it!

@swat4 said:
    :) Very nice domain

I hope you could build a successful project with it!

Hi,

• Are you talking something like https://github.com/cp6/my-idlers?
    I love my-idlers, but sadly it has a few issues and development seem to have stagnated.

@rcy026 said:
    Are you talking something like https://github.com/cp6/my-idlers?
    I love my-idlers, but sadly it has a few issues and development seem to have stagnated.

Yes almost like that but the platform would evolve over the time (adding features which are necessary)

• @BlaZe said:

@rcy026 said:
    Are you talking something like https://github.com/cp6/my-idlers?

Yes almost like that but the platform would evolve over the time (adding features which are necessary)

I think it's a good idea, my-idlers lacks in some areas but it's the best I've found so far.
    Just don't clutter it with a bunch of stupid features that nobody needs.