Dedicated Core VPS

I'm looking for a VPS with a dedicated core or two to perform some video encoding. 50-75GB of storage would also be needed.

Not exactly sure what to budget, so I'll leave that open for now.

I don't really want to spend $50-75 per month, which is why I'm not asking about dedicated servers.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• SagnikSSagnikS Hosting ProviderOG

Heya, would these interest you? https://my.zadeservers.net/cart.php?gid=14. The cores are 50% dedicated (for ex., you can use upto 200% CPU consistently on a 4vCore plan).

• johnkjohnk Hosting Provider

I'd recommend taking a look at GPC from Genesis Hosting: https://genesishosting.com/genesis_public_cloud.html

Resources on demand, so you can terminate instances as needed once encoding is done and save quite a bit on already-affordable prices.

Performance, support has basically been flawless, and from what I hear, Eric's an awesome guy.

• @johnk said:
    I'd recommend taking a look at GPC from Genesis Hosting: https://genesishosting.com/genesis_public_cloud.html

Resources on demand, so you can terminate instances as needed once encoding is done and save quite a bit on already-affordable prices.

Performance, support has basically been flawless, and from what I hear, Eric's an awesome guy.

Interesting. I'll have to take a look. Internet Egress / Bandwidth is usually what kills the deal with these cloud providers, so hopefully it's not like 9 cents per GB like AWS, Azure, Google, etc.

@SagnikS - Thanks! I look into that too. I'd have to figure out how to limit CPU usage to 50%.

Thanked by (1)SagnikS
  • johnkjohnk Hosting Provider

@usr123 said:

@johnk said:

Interesting. I'll have to take a look. Internet Egress / Bandwidth is usually what kills the deal with these cloud providers, so hopefully it's not like 9 cents per GB like AWS, Azure, Google, etc.

@SagnikS - Thanks! I look into that too. I'd have to figure out how to limit CPU usage to 50%.

They're 0.005/GB, basically a non issue unless you are pushing tens of TB.

• @johnk said:

@usr123 said:

@johnk said:

They're 0.005/GB, basically a non issue unless you are pushing tens of TB.

Nope, 2-3TB, so not too expensive at $10-15 per month. Thanks!

• SagnikSSagnikS Hosting ProviderOG
    edited September 2021

@usr123 said:

@johnk said:

We can cap it on our side too if you want to fully utilize it 24x7. If you'd like to test out a trial, feel free to shoot me a PM.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited September 2021

Php Friends could be an option? I have one from bf 2019- can check they allow xfer if interested .

Performance has been as good as it gets

2c/6G/75Gssd

No cap on BW IIRC intel not epyc but around 22 eur/6 mos

• @usr123 said:
    I'm looking for a VPS with a dedicated core or two to perform some video encoding. 50-75GB of storage would also be needed.

Not exactly sure what to budget, so I'll leave that open for now.

I don't really want to spend $50-75 per month, which is why I'm not asking about dedicated servers.

Any suggestions?

A question others already asked: are you planning to use it 24/7 for the whole month? LunaNode's compute-optimized instances have dedicated cores starting at $20/month, billed hourly. They have a good "shelving" process where you can deallocate a VPS by API (and not get billed for it during that time) if you're not running 24/7. BW allowance of several TB included then $0.003/GB over that.

• AlbaHostAlbaHost Hosting Provider
    edited September 2021

Since bandwidth nor port speed was not mentioned, why not just get a budget dedicated server like kimsufi or hetzner auction, or servdiscount dedicated servers?

Thanked by (1)chimichurri

wWw.AlbaHost.Net .AL domains, Dedicated Servers, VPS/VDS and Hosting Services. Geo located in Albania.

• @vyas said:
    Php Friends could be an option? I have one from bf 2019- can check they allow xfer if interested .

2c/6G/75Gssd

What is the allowed monthly bandwidth?

• @xowxenxirix said:

@vyas said:

2c/6G/75Gssd

What is the allowed monthly bandwidth?

PM'ing you a screenshot from the plan - I do now know German that well- if you can get help in translation- that should help!

• edited September 2021

First and foremost, not 50-75 dollars OK, so what is your budget then? (Also, +1 to 'hourly billing or not?')

Hmmmm... is this really a dedicated core VPS? I have to say, at this price point, I'm rather skeptical...

Anyway, a couple of Ideas from me, up to some 2534 euros / mo. - each of the following has dedicated cores (or at least their support confirmed that they do not limit CPU usage - it is VPS after all so you might not be getting a full HW thread...), sorted from the cheapest:

• Oracle Cloud - 4x ARM N1 cores [this scores around 3000 @ multicore geekbench 5] + 2* 1/8 AMD EPYC cores (unsure which gen) - it's their free tier, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! I too used and still am using it for video encoding, btw ;) (although I had problems getting some of the av1 codecs to work on ARM, and those that did were damn slow, however, ffmpeg + x265 from here work just fine)
    • avoro.eu: 2 Epyc 7452 cores (judging by the CPU, perhaps up to 1500 @ multicore geekbench 5 if it's 2 full HW threads? can't vouch 100% for this one, could be less, sorry... ) @ 9 EUR / mo.
    • Kimsufi KS7 (flash sale) : i3 2130 = over 1400 @ multicore geekbench 5 for 11 USD/mo. - sorry, not VPS but dedicated, still, dirt cheap! sadly there's also a setup fee (12 dollars)
    • vserver.site: 4 cores (warning, the CPUs are not the best I believe, I read somewhere it's Intel X3450) for 10 EUR/mo. or somewhat cheaper if opting for an ipv6-only LXC and less cores
    • hetzner cloud: CCX series, starting at 20 euro monthly, or 0.003 EUR hourly for 2 Epyc cores (unsure which gen; 4 cores was 2500 @ multicore geekbench 5)
    • hetzner server auction - starting from +- 25 euro / month for Intel Xeon E3-1246V3, Intel Core i7-4770 or similar [something up to 4000 @ multicore geekbench 5] - yes, I know it's a dedi and you asked for VPS, but this is good bang for buck and might be worth if you'll be encoding a lot; also, no setup fees
    • hetzner AX41 - yes, the final contender is a dedi again, but it has probably the best cost/performance (if still within your budget), no setup fees and only 34 euros monthly if choosing FInland + NVME (more for Germany and/or HDD), an amazing 7700 multicore @ geekbench 5 - this might be overkill though unless you're going to be encoding 24/7 or something

Contribute your idling VPS/dedi (link), Android (link) or iOS (link) devices to medical research

• Maybe give a shoutout to @Advin

• bruh21bruh21 Hosting Provider

netcup, buyvm, php-friends, prepaid-hoster