AdGuard Home & DNS over TLS issue

edited October 2021 in General

Since last night, I have issue with all of of my AdGuard Home server with DNS over TLS enabled (port 853). All client unable to connect it using DNS over TLS although it work flawlessly since last year.

I also tried @Freek sg.adhole.org DNS over TLS project which is use similar configuration. The issue still persist.

All of my client can use dns.google and 1dot1dot1dot1.cloudflare-dns.com without any issue.

This is the log from Stubby, DNS over TLS client for Windows 10, when using @Freek sg.adhole.org. The log from my AdGuard Home also similar with this.

[20:07:18.737563] STUBBY: Stubby version: Stubby 0.3.0
[20:07:18.779579] STUBBY: Read config from file C:\Program Files\Stubby\stubby.yml
[20:07:18.781562] STUBBY: DNSSEC Validation is OFF
[20:07:18.781562] STUBBY: Transport list is:
[20:07:18.781562] STUBBY:   - TLS
[20:07:18.782565] STUBBY: Privacy Usage Profile is Strict (Authentication required)
[20:07:18.782565] STUBBY: (NOTE a Strict Profile only applies when TLS is the ONLY transport!!)
[20:07:18.782565] STUBBY: Starting DAEMON....
[20:07:20.060514] STUBBY: --- SETUP(TLS): : Adding Windows certificates from system root store to CA store
[20:07:20.072514] STUBBY: --- SETUP(TLS): : Completed adding Windows certificates to CA store successfully
[20:07:20.073492] STUBBY: 210.16.120.48                            : Conn opened: TLS - Strict Profile
[20:07:20.186965] STUBBY: 210.16.120.48                            : Verify failed : TLS - *Failure* - (10) "certificate has expired"
[20:07:20.187843] STUBBY: 210.16.120.48                            : Conn closed: TLS - *Failure*
[20:07:20.187843] STUBBY:    *FAILURE* no valid transports or upstreams available!
[20:07:20.187843] STUBBY: 210.16.120.48                            : Conn closed: TLS - *Failure*
[20:07:20.188839] STUBBY:    *FAILURE* no valid transports or upstreams available!
[20:07:20.188839] STUBBY: 210.16.120.48                            : Conn closed: TLS - Resps=     0, Timeouts  =     0, Curr_auth = Failed, Keepalive(ms)=     0
[20:07:20.188839] STUBBY: 210.16.120.48                            : Upstream   : TLS - Resps=     0, Timeouts  =     0, Best_auth = Failed
[20:07:20.189840] STUBBY: 210.16.120.48                            : Upstream   : TLS - Conns=     0, Conn_fails=     1, Conn_shuts=      0, Backoffs     =     0
[20:07:23.943510] STUBBY:    *FAILURE* no valid transports or upstreams available!
Could not schedule query: None of the configured upstreams could be used to send queries on the specified transports
[20:07:29.922561] STUBBY:    *FAILURE* no valid transports or upstreams available!
Could not schedule query: None of the configured upstreams could be used to send queries on the specified transports
[20:07:33.940687] STUBBY:    *FAILURE* no valid transports or upstreams available!

I am not sure this is LetsEncrypt SSL issue or AdGuard Home issue. Do you also have any issue with your AdGuard Home & DNS over TLS configuration?

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

Comments

• I was going to tag Freek but you already have - I'm sure he can help.

Thanked by (1)chocolateshirt
  • @Mr_Tom said:
    I was going to tag Freek but you already have - I'm sure he can help.

Thank you @Mr_Tom, did you perhaps face this issue too?

Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

• edited October 2021

Should be working?

Stubby
    upstream_recursive_servers:
      - address_data: 210.16.120.48
        tls_auth_name: "sg.adhole.org"

• Maybe due to LE's cross cert expiring?

• I had the same issues.
    Had to recreate the certs using:

certbot certonly --manual --preferred-challenges=dns --preferred-chain="ISRG Root X1"

A restart of AdGuard later, and it was working again.

Thanked by (2)chocolateshirt AaronSS
  • @sanvit said:
    Maybe due to LE's cross cert expiring?

That is my thought too

@daffy said:
    I had the same issues.
    Had to recreate the certs using:

certbot certonly --manual --preferred-challenges=dns --preferred-chain="ISRG Root X1"

A restart of AdGuard later, and it was working again.

What is your certbot version, I am running those command with certbot 0.31.0 but there is error certbot: error: unrecognized arguments: --preferred-chain ISRG Root X1

• @chocolateshirt said: What is your certbot version

I'm using 'certbot 1.12.0'.

• @fryz said:
    Stubby
    upstream_recursive_servers:
      - address_data: 210.16.120.48
        tls_auth_name: "sg.adhole.org"

That is strange, this is my result of stubby using sg.adhole.org and my owh AdGuard Home

This is result of stubby using dns.google

• I don't have a lot of time to go into details right now, but LetsEncrypt's old root certificate has expired yesterday (IdentTrust DST Root CA X3). Some websites are facing issues (source).

Probably your best bet is to look into the CA certificate your client is using to verify the TLS certificate.

Thanked by (2)chocolateshirt Abdullah
  • for those using acme.sh:
    --force --server letsencrypt --preferred-chain "X1"

Action and Reaction in history

• Thank you @daffy & @elliotc the new generated certificate working, Now.

Thanked by (2)daffy AaronSS

• @chocolateshirt said:
    Thank you @daffy & @elliotc the new generated certificate working, Now.

Excellent! :)
    Let's just say I was rather frustrated when my phone suddenly stopped working with it yesterday and didn't have time to check it until this morning.