HostMantis - Yet another price increase

YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
edited October 2021 in General

For those, who missed it in the thread about Enterprise Reseller changes. This one came in today:

As a client, we know the last thing you want to hear is anything regarding changes in pricing.

However, as a business we try to be as transparent as possible and each year we must re-evaluate our costs and our pricing structure and make any necessary changes.

Due to recent increased vendor costs, we will be increasing our pricing on all hosting plans by approximately 25% effective: January 1, 2022.

Our goal is to remain sustainable and continue providing our clients with the highest level of service possible, without sacrificing features and/or quality.

We thank you for your continued business!

If you have any questions, we are always here to answer them.

Thanked by (1)Lee

Comments

• I’m out

• vyasvyas OG
    edited October 2021

Increase in DA pricing because cPanel price went up??

Only @HostMantis can pull Bs like that

Thanked by (2)webcraft vpsgeek3333
  • @vyas said:
    Increase in DA pricing because cPanel price went up??

Only @HostMantis can pull Bs like that

Maybe they will add Pro Pack for “free” 🤔

Thanked by (1)webcraft
  • LeeLee OG
    edited October 2021

My plan will go from $9.95 -> $12.50, assuming they continue to honour the 25% discount then I am actually just going to pay the window price of $9.95.

$9.95 is absolutely nothing to me at the end of the day, as an often-used saying that is very true of me, I pay more in a single day for coffee than I will pay monthly for this hosting service. So not the money although I really don't see how a 25% increase can be correlated to the cPanel pricing increase.

The real issue for me is the removal of per account resources. I would rather pay double, even triple to someone else that can provide better resources as well as being able to get the math right when it comes to pricing.

And WTF even the DA pricing is going up despite no increase from them.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • K4Y5K4Y5 OG
    edited October 2021

:lol: How do people still fall for their bait and switch / shady pricing bullshit every single year?

These hostmantis tossers deserve to fucking Deadpool and fold.

• I defended them through the last price increase but now it seems a bit much

• @K4Y5 said: How do people still fall for their bait and switch / shady pricing bullshit every single year?

I think it was reasonable to let them work it out, the service is good, performance was good. Most like myself were anticipating that by this point they got the numbers figured out and would have factored in some headroom for the anticipated increase that cPanel would inevitably come along with.

It appears they didn't do that as well as dropping server resource limits. It will make many turn against them this time I suspect.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • Not gonna hide it anymore but I hate Hostmantis.

They always say "If you have any questions, we are always here to answer them." but when you ask them anything regarding price you get a firm NO and to insult you with something along the line of feel free to switch if you can't pay for it.

• MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG

I think the most unusual move was changing per-account reseller resource limits for resellers to the whole account. If anyone has a lot of accounts running stuff like Wordpress I can't imagine the frustration it would cause having resource limits being hit causing issues for everyone.

Thanked by (2)AaronSS Ympker

ExtraVM - High RAM Specials
    Yours truly.

• @MikeA said: If anyone has a lot of accounts running stuff like Wordpress I can't imagine the frustration it would cause having resource limits being hit causing issues for everyone.

This is exactly what happened to me, noticed issues, couldn't initially figure it out. then happened to check the announcements section and I see the change posted, never got an email or any notice.

Thanked by (2)Outdoor Ympker
  • vyasvyas OG
    edited October 2021

I guess I will not be renewing Hostmantis plan in June next year.
    6 months to find an alternative in Singapore.

Edit: Not a rant - I actually like the long-ish heads up.

• Oh yeah, I'm out as well. This price hike plus the per-account reseller resource limits isn't working for me anymore.

Can you recommend a DirectAdmin-based reseller in Singapore or USA?

@MikeA Do you happen to have an ETA on when you'll be opening a new location for your shared plans? ;)

• Increasing pricing of DA plans just because cPanel jacked up prices is unjustified.

Thanked by (1)nickelodeon

Recommend: MyRoot.PW|BuyVM|Inception Hosting|Prometeus

• MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG

@casadebamburojo said:
    Oh yeah, I'm out as well. This price hike plus the per-account reseller resource limits isn't working for me anymore.

@MikeA Do you happen to have an ETA on when you'll be opening a new location for your shared plans? ;)

No but it won't be reseller as I don't do reseller. Singapore will be next but I've always been concerned about Singapore no matter what type of service due to bandwidth.

ExtraVM - High RAM Specials
    Yours truly.

• nullroutenullroute Hosting Provider

Oh shit, I just bought 3 years of hosting with hostmantis.

https://purplehost.com.br - Reliable, secure and affordable game hosting.

• @MikeA said:

@casadebamburojo said:
    Oh yeah, I'm out as well. This price hike plus the per-account reseller resource limits isn't working for me anymore.

No but it won't be reseller as I don't do reseller. Singapore will be next but I've always been concerned about Singapore no matter what type of service due to bandwidth.

Yeah, I was really just expecting shared accounts as I read somewhere that you don't do resellers. I also hope you'll consider working with DirectAdmin. :)

• I just signed up with @MikeA :)

Thanked by (3)MikeA Ympker ehab
  • @MikeA said:

@casadebamburojo said:

Anything under 300 gb/month works !

• Recently Hostmantis just de-graded their entire Reseller platform by announcing shared CPU/RAM of reseller plan for ENTIRE account including its sub-accounts/cpanel/DA accounts. Earlier a reseller is having 1CPU, 1GB RAM reseller plan, ALL his sub-accounts would get same configurations EACH. 10 sub-accounts = 10 CPU, 10 GB RAM, but now Hostmantis announced their new policy where if reseller plan is 1 CPU, 1GB RAM, then all sub-account will SHARE that 1 CPU, 1GB RAM. That means, 10 sub-account = 1 CPU, 1GB RAM. That's ok if a reseller has 3 or 5 sub-accounts not heavily used, what if they have 50, 70 or 100 cPanel/DA accounts?

In short Hostmantis was trying to sell reseller-shared hosting like VPS hosting at a price of VPS hosting and resources alike.

So instead of paying 25% price hike EVERY YEAR at Hostmantis, why not just move to BuyVM and get a ryzen VPS slice + slab + free DA and billing, and have peace of mind, atleast if you are Hostmantis' DA reseller.

• edited October 2021

@vyas said: I guess I will not be renewing Hostmantis plan in June next year. 6 months to find an alternative in Singapore

Racknerd just opened Singapore location. It's Cores: 6x 4.00 GHz Intel E-2286G super-fast like ryzen server. They can be a good alternative to Hostmantis not only in Singapore but every location in US, Europe, and Asia. The connectivity/network seems premium and so are the new servers.

I've purchased one reseller account over there. The upstream network is quite premium, NTT and Tata.
    10 cPanel accounts, 40GB space, @ $36/yr. and extra cPanel account is around $0.25/mo
    https://my.racknerd.com/aff.php?aff=1587&pid=552 my aff link.
    https://my.racknerd.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=552 non-aff

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@nickelodeon said:
    Recently Hostmantis just de-graded their entire Reseller platform by announcing shared CPU/RAM of reseller plan for ENTIRE account including its sub-accounts/cpanel/DA accounts. Earlier a reseller is having 1CPU, 1GB RAM reseller plan, ALL his sub-accounts would get same configurations EACH. 10 sub-accounts = 10 CPU, 10 GB RAM, but now Hostmantis announced their new policy where if reseller plan is 1 CPU, 1GB RAM, then all sub-account will SHARE that 1 CPU, 1GB RAM. That means, 10 sub-account = 1 CPU, 1GB RAM. That's ok if a reseller has 3 or 5 sub-accounts not heavily used, what if they have 50, 70 or 100 cPanel/DA accounts?

In short Hostmantis was trying to sell reseller-shared hosting like VPS hosting at a price of VPS hosting and resources alike.

So instead of paying 25% price hike EVERY YEAR at Hostmantis, why not just move to BuyVM and get a ryzen VPS slice + slab + free DA and billing, and have peace of mind, atleast if you are Hostmantis' DA reseller.

Why I think VPS is not as convenient as reseller hosting.

With a 25% discount, if paid quarterly, their Enterprise Entry reseller hosting is under $14 per month.
    Fully managed, LiteSpeed (excellent for WordPress), CloudLinux, and Imunify360 + a control panel (DirectAdmin offers are even a bit cheaper, testing one out now).

I've been looking at managed VPS prices, and I can't get close to that price with all the bells and whistles (that do make a difference, at least for my use case).

The current reseller resource policy has turned out to be quite good. Seems it sounded/felt riskier than it is in practice (not for the "ordinary," non-Enterprise resource plans, they've been practically killed by this move for having too few vCPU resources, so you're "forced" to pay for an Enterprise reseller plan).

They want more money, that's obvious. Every company does. I can either pay, or find something similar (or better) at a lower price. The thing is - their performance (and uptime) has been top-class over the past years. For all I can tell, It practically is a premium service, and it's obvious (it's been from the first price hike) that they are (going to be) charging a premium price for it.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @nickelodeon said:
    Recently Hostmantis just de-graded their entire Reseller platform by announcing shared CPU/RAM of reseller plan for ENTIRE account including its sub-accounts/cpanel/DA accounts. Earlier a reseller is having 1CPU, 1GB RAM reseller plan, ALL his sub-accounts would get same configurations EACH. 10 sub-accounts = 10 CPU, 10 GB RAM, but now Hostmantis announced their new policy where if reseller plan is 1 CPU, 1GB RAM, then all sub-account will SHARE that 1 CPU, 1GB RAM. That means, 10 sub-account = 1 CPU, 1GB RAM. That's ok if a reseller has 3 or 5 sub-accounts not heavily used, what if they have 50, 70 or 100 cPanel/DA accounts?

No to mention the fact that @Francisco's team takes care of DA setup / upkeep if your monthly spend is 40EUR or up, i think.

• @K4Y5 said:

@nickelodeon said:

No to mention the fact that @Francisco's team takes care of DA setup / upkeep if your monthly spend is 40EUR or up, i think.

They offer server managment?
    Can find that at their web site.

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@Lee said:
    My plan will go from $9.95 -> $12.50, assuming they continue to honour the 25% discount then I am actually just going to pay the window price of $9.95.

$9.95 is absolutely nothing to me at the end of the day, as an often-used saying that is very true of me, I pay more in a single day for coffee than I will pay monthly for this hosting service. So not the money although I really don't see how a 25% increase can be correlated to the cPanel pricing increase.

The real issue for me is the removal of per account resources. I would rather pay double, even triple to someone else that can provide better resources as well as being able to get the math right when it comes to pricing.

And WTF even the DA pricing is going up despite no increase from them.

I agree, the per account resources hit hard. I used to actually make use of my reseller there. If I still had multiple active cPanel client accounts there and resources would have been changed to how they are now.. Ouch :/
    As for the pricing change, it leaves a sour taste. That is more because it adds to the inconsistency (with so many different changes going on recently), rather than the few dollars I have to pay more. Whether it is 35$ or 44$, I don't mind that much.

edited October 2021

@vyas said:

My favourites will probably be Ramnode (in the hope they are still as rock solid as they were before the switch), the Liteserver.nl sub brand for web hosting (as soon as I remember their name, I will open a ticket and ask for resource limits), german All-Inkl.com, ShockHosting (worth a look, perhaps?) and anything else I can always park/put at MyW lifetime plan. Also checked on Brixly again and not too bad either. Reseller Entry there:

All LVE Limits (applicable per individual cPanel account, not for the overall reseller account)...

IO: 50MB/s
    IOPS: 1024
    EP: 30
    NPROC: 100

@Lee Damn, having had to find out why your reseller client's performance suddenly went so bad on an announcement page must have sucked :/ Can only imagine.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@Ympker said:

@vyas said:

My favourites will probably be Ramnode (in the hope they are still as rock solid as they were before the switch), the Liteserver.nl sub brand for web hosting (as soon as I remember their name, I will open a ticket and ask for resource limits), german All-Inkl.com, ShockHosting (worth a look, perhaps?) and anything else I can always park/put at MyW lifetime plan. Also checked on Brixly again and not too bad either. Reseller Entry there:

All LVE Limits (applicable per individual cPanel account, not for the overall reseller account)...

@Lee Damn, having had to find out why your reseller client's performance suddenly went so bad on an announcement page must have sucked :/ Can only imagine.

I'd call that an "uberdick" move - should have been done with an at least one-month prior notice.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• Thats a good list of alternatives. Shockhosting is an option- been testing it. Other options are good too.

Singapore followed by Europe (Germany/UK) are locations worth considering .

Of course in 6 months more options may open up for me here.

WCS (worse case scenario) DO Bengaluru

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

@vyas said:

I'd call that an "uberdick" move - should have been done with an at least one-month prior notice.

Totally agree. People may have lost reputation with their clients, or business, in general.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin webcraft
  • @ShockHosting is new to me; does anyone have a feedback on their shared and reseller plans?

I do know that they have nice dedicated servers that were posted here and I don't think seeing any negative feedback about it so far.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @vyas said: Thats a good list of alternatives. Shockhosting is an option- been testing it. Other options are good too.

>

but no DA :( if anybody is moving away from hostmantis then it's a good time to get directadmin only bcos cpanel won't stop increasing price so sooner or later they might have to switch

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin