HostMantis - Yet another price increase

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@casadebamburojo said:
    @ShockHosting is new to me; does anyone have a feedback on their shared and reseller plans?

I do know that they have nice dedicated servers that were posted here and I don't think seeing any negative feedback about it so far.

I recently saw them being mentioned a couple of times. Not sure how good they are, though.

Thanked by (1)casadebamburojo
  • K4Y5K4Y5 OG
    edited October 2021

@Outdoor said:

@K4Y5 said:

@nickelodeon said:
    Recently Hostmantis just de-graded their entire Reseller platform by announcing shared CPU/RAM of reseller plan for ENTIRE account including its sub-accounts/cpanel/DA accounts. Earlier a reseller is having 1CPU, 1GB RAM reseller plan, ALL his sub-accounts would get same configurations EACH. 10 sub-accounts = 10 CPU, 10 GB RAM, but now Hostmantis announced their new policy where if reseller plan is 1 CPU, 1GB RAM, then all sub-account will SHARE that 1 CPU, 1GB RAM. That means, 10 sub-account = 1 CPU, 1GB RAM. That's ok if a reseller has 3 or 5 sub-accounts not heavily used, what if they have 50, 70 or 100 cPanel/DA accounts?

In short Hostmantis was trying to sell reseller-shared hosting like VPS hosting at a price of VPS hosting and resources alike.

So instead of paying 25% price hike EVERY YEAR at Hostmantis, why not just move to BuyVM and get a ryzen VPS slice + slab + free DA and billing, and have peace of mind, atleast if you are Hostmantis' DA reseller.

No to mention the fact that @Francisco's team takes care of DA setup / upkeep if your monthly spend is 40EUR or up, i think.

They offer server managment?
    Can find that at their web site.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3199489/#Comment_3199489

8GB Slice @$30/mo. Free DA + Management throw in.

• @nullroute said:
    Oh shit, I just bought 3 years of hosting with hostmantis.

As long as you prepaid it for three years, you’re good. However, chances are they will degrade your package.

Only point is that in 2024 you’ll pay almost twice as much for the same (or worse) service.

• LeeLee OG
    edited October 2021

@Ympker said: Also checked on Brixly again and not too bad either.

Indeed, would rather stick with a UK server provider so will probably move the sites in question over to them.

@Lee Damn, having had to find out why your reseller client's performance suddenly went so bad on an announcement page must have sucked Can only imagine.

Indeed, wasn't even my own personal reseller that was the issue, it was the one I use for family/close friends. Not a paid provider anymore as most know but still sucks to have people close to you have to complain about their sites.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @Ympker said:

@casadebamburojo said:
    @ShockHosting is new to me; does anyone have a feedback on their shared and reseller plans?

I do know that they have nice dedicated servers that were posted here and I don't think seeing any negative feedback about it so far.

I recently saw them being mentioned a couple of times. Not sure how good they are, though.

Cannot complain about support and performance so far

Thanked by (2)Ympker casadebamburojo

Squats are the new Push-ups

@vyas said:

@Ympker said:

@casadebamburojo said:

Cannot complain about support and performance so far

Good to hear :) Will consider them in the future.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited October 2021

I think at 30 US dollars for a single domain (before CPanel price rise) they are on the pricier side. This is after their 50 % discount, mind you. So it is not for everyone and that is okay.
    They do offer dedicated ip.

• edited October 2021

@Lee said:

@Ympker said: Also checked on Brixly again and not too bad either.

Indeed, would rather stick with a UK server provider so will probably move the sites in question over to them.

Just checked Brixly and they seem to fit my needs. They even have DirectAdmin plans! Any feedback on them?

@MikePT 's MyW seems to fit the bill as well, but his absence the past few weeks is worrying...

• @casadebamburojo said: Any feedback on them?

I have done some testing in the past, support is fast and efficient, they have recently carried out some major upgrades to their infrastructure including moving to NVMe. Struggled to find anything bad about them.

Some highlights of the recent upgrades.

We have invested almost £200,000 in new infrastructure, which introduces an overwhelming number of benefits to our platform.

🚀 Pure Cloud Infrastructure
    🚀 100% NVMe Cluster
    🚀 AMD EPYC CPU's
    🚀 Improved Contention
    🚀 Replication, Clustering and HA
    🚀 Dramatically Increased Network Capacity
    🚀 Cloudlinux 8
    🚀 Improved DNS Clustering
    🚀 Improved Backup Performance

Thanked by (2)casadebamburojo Ympker
  • cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

for those who are upset about hostmantis change, have you considered that there is a possibility that they dont want you ?

when you actually accept that then it makes alot easier to decide the next course of action.

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

@cybertech said:
    for those who are upset about hostmantis change, have you considered that there is a possibility that they dont want you ?

when you actually accept that then it makes alot easier to decide the next course of action.

The last cPanel account I have with them is from friends and I'd rather just leave it as is. At some point, I'll migrate it though, I guess.

• @cybertech said: for those who are upset about hostmantis change, have you considered that there is a possibility that they dont want you ?

I don't think just because people are upset/annoyed at a price increase it must mean the provider simply wants to cut them loose.

Certainly, a case of you either accept the changes or move on. The provider isn't the one in control.

• @cybertech said: for those who are upset about hostmantis change, have you considered that there is a possibility that they dont want you ?

in the end it seems the only account left with Hostmantis will be its owner's! :p

Thanked by (1)cybertech
  • Checked out Brixly again in more detail, going to migrate to them. I might even just give DA a shot this time. Preference for cPanel but for the sites in question it makes no difference. Exact same price either way, you do get a bit more accounts with DA, 25 instead of 20, not that I need that many anyway.

Thanked by (2)Ympker casadebamburojo
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

I've done some calculating.

HostMantis Entry Reseller package, with the practically-always-available 25% discount, and quarterly payments, ends up at under $6 per month.
    If you create 20 cPanel accounts (25 is the max allowed), that gets $ 6.8 to cPanel.

If they double the cPanel prices right away - I'm not sure they could handle all the clients moving to DirectAdmin right away.
    This way, they seem to be slowly pushing towards higher prices, and towards DirectAdmin.

When the time comes, it would make a lot of sense for them to cut down the prices of DirectAdmin hosting, or to at least just stop raising those prices, while cPanel goes on to roughly double its current price.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• I signed up with Brixly, went with DA just for a change of panel scenery. Will go with @bikegremlin suggestion and get a Hetzner storage box for backups which would appear to work well with DA.

Out of the gate, their service is ridiculously fast, using EPYC 7502.

• Are they "that" good? They do price changes and change specs quite often and customers stay there!? I sense out a buyout ;)

HostXNow | Since 2009 - London, United Kingdom
    Enterprise Reseller Hosting • Shared • Reseller • VPS • Backups • cPanel
  • edited October 2021

If I was in this situation, there would be some questions for myself.

1. Do I need Hostmantis services? Yes = keep, No = let expire
    2. Are my customers well served by Hostmantis services? Yes = tell customers about price increase, and increase them too. No = let expire and search for different provider or get VPS + Plesk license + Mail.baby
    3. Do I have some crap website without visitors? Yes = let expire, No = keep it if you have some cash to spend on your hobby or site revenue will cover the hosting costs

:#

Thanked by (2)Lee Ympker
  • @HostXNow said: Are they "that" good? They do price changes and change specs quite often and customers stay there!?

Clearly yes. The cost is still nothing to many people after the increase. But for many, the trust is eroding or eroded. It's well put by @Amadex above. Again the provider is not in control here the customer is.

If existing customers remain comfortable with what they are receiving then that is all that matters.

edited October 2021

@Lee said:
    I signed up with Brixly, went with DA just for a change of panel scenery. Will go with @bikegremlin suggestion and get a Hetzner storage box for backups which would appear to work well with DA.

I might just consider them as well. I used them years back when their Germany location was with Contabo and @MikePT was still working there iirc. Performance was stellar and support was fast. Why not give them a try again :)

@bikegremlin might be interesting for your resource intensive sites. They have cPanel premium hosting plans starting with 6GB RAM/6 Cores and even higher.

https://brixly.uk/business-hosting/

Thanked by (2)Lee MikePT
  • @Ympker said:

@Lee said:
    I signed up with Brixly, went with DA just for a change of panel scenery. Will go with @bikegremlin suggestion and get a Hetzner storage box for backups which would appear to work well with DA.

I might just consider them as well. I used them years back when their Germany location was with Contabo and @MikePT was still working there iirc. Performance was stellar and support was fast. Why not give them a try again :)

@bikegremlin might be interesting for your resource intensive sites. They have cPanel premium hosting plans starting with 6GB RAM/6 Cores and even higher.

All Inkl and Brixly. Thanks for two new opti

Thanked by (1)Ympker

edited October 2021

@vyas said:

@Ympker said:

@Lee said:

All Inkl and Brixly. Thanks for two new opti

Both are probably a good pick :)
    As for All-Inkl, I think they don't state any of the common resource limits (IO, IOPS, CPU..). At the same time, I have never had any performance issues there and every person I recommended to go there (among others Herr @Amitz ) have been happy so far :) I just recommend not to take anything below the All-Inkl "Privat Plus" plan, because the "Privat"/Entry plan charges for LE certs. PrivatPlus comes with 5 free domains, enough disk space, 24h phone and email support and more :)
    Old-fashioned, long established Premium Web Hosting that just works (also Made in Germany).

Thanked by (1)vyas
  • All-Inkl is very good, gründliche Deutsche webhosting. Fast servers, no limits (they just limit number of users on a server), fast support. Can vouch for them.

Thanked by (2)vyas Ympker
  • Interesting... my ip seems to be blocked @ all-inkl. VPN atleast lets me browse, maybe not order.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

• vyasvyas OG
    edited October 2021

@Mason
    Does time permit you to write another script…
    Let’s call it

YAHI (Yet Another Hostmantis Idiosyncrasy) *

One can run it to find out the timeline and quantum of next price increase by @HostMantis

————

• The “I” in YAHI can vary depending on different customer perspective

Insult
    Injustice
    Insight - for eg.
    (I am enamoured by their logic for eg- CPanel price hike results in hike for DA plans)

I switched one of my accounts to DirectAdmin - to give that a test and see if it's working fine.
    Asked if I'd be keeping my discount when doing that.

Only to figure that the renewal price for the DirectAdmin is greater than the renewal price for the same package with cPanel.

Asked the billing to sort it out.

They increased the renewal price of the cPanel account so DirectAdmin renewal is no longer more expensive than the cPanel renewal. :)

And that's all before the announced 25% increase. :)

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

Increasing EP isn't really gonna cut it. For me, at least.

• @Ympker said: Increasing EP isn't really gonna cut it. For me, at least.

Nope. Again sounds like the Entry Processes that were per account at 30 were left at 30 for the whole reseller which is not going to work. So probably just increased the EP's to fix their mistake in that area.

@Lee said:

@Ympker said: Increasing EP isn't really gonna cut it. For me, at least.

Nope. Again sounds like the Entry Processes that were per account at 30 were left at 30 for the whole reseller which is not going to work. So probably just increased the EP's to fix their mistake in that area.

Seems so. A fixed mistake presented as a resource boost.
    They also fixed the total process number (that's not disclosed as a resource limit on the website, but was also relatively low, then increased to a reasonable number along with the EP number increase).
    On a positive note - it is fixed. :)

If it's not too much to ask - how many websites did you host on one reseller plan, and which plan was it?
    I tested the Reseller Entry plan and it's my conclusion it can serve about 10 small to medium (but well cached & optimized) WordPress websites. CPU being the bottleneck.