HostMantis - Yet another price increase

Comments

• @bikegremlin said: If it's not too much to ask - how many websites did you host on one reseller plan, and which plan was it?

I had two entry reseller plans, one had 12 accounts then I only currently had 2 on the 2nd reseller.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@Lee said:

@bikegremlin said: If it's not too much to ask - how many websites did you host on one reseller plan, and which plan was it?

I had two entry reseller plans, one had 12 accounts then I only currently had 2 on the 2nd reseller.

That aligns with my experience - 10 accounts is pushing the limits of the current resources for the Reseller Entry.
    The new resource allocation has practically made the non-Enterprise reseller accounts pointless.

Thanked by (1)Lee

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @bikegremlin said:
    The new resource allocation has practically made the non-Enterprise reseller accounts pointless.

Depends on your use case. I'm not running WordPress but mostly vanilla Joomla and self crafted PHP sites and 8 sites of it (10k hits per day, so small sites) use less than 50% of resources. I suppose heavy apps like WordPress will be a cause of resource exhaustion. That's a problem if you have public reselling.

• LeeLee OG
    edited October 2021

I can imagine HM have a lot of public reselling and it will hit hard there. But still, if you are happy with them then that is all that matters. The pricing is still really not that bad for what they offer. It's the resources that will cause the issue for those that have concerns.

If I was still able to work within the new limits then I would have stayed put for a while longer albeit that is still not the point.

This is why I never pay for these types of services for my own use on anything but monthly to ensure I have complete flexibility to move when I see fit.

Moving to Brixy it is an extra $3.50 but I am back to per account resources and that is worth the extra.

edited October 2021

@webcraft said:

@bikegremlin said:

Depends on your use case. I'm not running WordPress but mostly vanilla Joomla and self crafted PHP sites and 8 sites of it (10k hits per day, so small sites) use less than 50% of resources. I suppose heavy apps like WordPress will be a cause of resource exhaustion. That's a problem if you have public reselling.

Yes, vCPU is the bottleneck with WordPress (that is by far the most widely used "tool," at least in my country), but not with every other CMS.

Similar can be said for the well-optimized (and cached) WordPress websites (my testing reports and stats).
    But "lively" WordPress websites with lots of edits, updates (requiring some cache-clearing), and with many visitors, require a bit more vCPU.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• edited October 2021

@vyas said:

@Ympker said:

@Lee said:
    I signed up with Brixly, went with DA just for a change of panel scenery. Will go with @bikegremlin suggestion and get a Hetzner storage box for backups which would appear to work well with DA.

Out of the gate, their service is ridiculously fast, using EPYC 7502.

I might just consider them as well. I used them years back when their Germany location was with Contabo and @MikePT was still working there iirc. Performance was stellar and support was fast. Why not give them a try again :)

@bikegremlin might be interesting for your resource intensive sites. They have cPanel premium hosting plans starting with 6GB RAM/6 Cores and even higher.

https://brixly.uk/business-hosting/

All Inkl and Brixly. Thanks for two new opti

As reseller alternative for asia location there are also:
    jonesolutions.com/premium-ssd-linux-reseller/ da
    stablepoint.com or verpex.com (same company?) cpanel

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin vyas
  • @bikegremlin said:

@webcraft said:

@bikegremlin said:

Yes, vCPU is the bottleneck with WordPress (that is by far the most widely used "tool," at least in my country), but not with every other CMS.

Similar can be said for the well-optimized (and cached) WordPress websites (my testing reports and stats).
    But "lively" WordPress websites with lots of edits, updates (requiring some cache-clearing), and with many visitors, require a bit more vCPU.

Silly Question , hybrid of my ignorance and curiosity…

Would it make sense to have a vps running mysql as backend and shared hosting to host the site?

Does that take away some of the resource constraints (read: cpu and ram in particular) or does it add additional complexity?

What about additional point of failure?

Is it practical for hosting say 8 sites for friends and family? Mostly non WP, but images (Chevereto/ Drupal)

@vyas said:

@bikegremlin said:

@webcraft said:

@bikegremlin said:

Silly Question , hybrid of my ignorance and curiosity…

Would it make sense to have a vps running mysql as backend and shared hosting to host the site?

Does that take away some of the resource constraints (read: cpu and ram in particular) or does it add additional complexity?

What about additional point of failure?

Is it practical for hosting say 8 sites for friends and family? Mostly non WP, but images (Chevereto/ Drupal)

I think the question is an excellent one (generally, I think there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers).

If I understood correctly what you mean, that has been bugging me for some time now:
    how to make a distributed database, that is synced on more than one hosting server, but stored at two different locations (updating any changes from one location to the other, so that both database copies are always up-to-date).

That's what I consider important for large (big profit, "ZOMG-loosing-millions") e-commerce websites. Because they have a lot of changes each minute, so restoring even an hour-old backup is not good enough.

(Un)fortunately, I don't have those problems, and I don't know how to solve them either.

For most "ordinary" websites, I think that's more cost and hassle than it's worth it (the local saying is: "slaughtering an ox for a pound of meat").

I think that better alternatives are:
    a) using a decent "normal" reseller hosting (like Veerotech of those I've tested and been happy with).
    b) getting an Enterprise Entry Reseller hosting plan - this one actually makes some sense, if any of the websites need more than 1vCPU, and you don't have a dozen resource-hungry websites (or at least they don't all need high resources at the very same moment).

• LeeLee OG
    edited October 2021

@vyas said: Would it make sense to have a vps running mysql as backend and shared hosting to host the site?

It would but then if you are doing that it is not likely that you will be using shared hosting. Many go on about CPU being the main bottleneck but I suspect in many cases that is not true. MySQL can be the bigger bottleneck in a shared environment. In fact, I know that to be true from experience.

Thanked by (2)vyas bikegremlin

@Lee said:

@vyas said: Would it make sense to have a vps running mysql as backend and shared hosting to host the site?

It would but then if you are doing that it is not likely that you will be using shared hosting. Many go on about CPU being the main bottleneck but I suspect in many cases that is not true. MySQL can be the bigger bottleneck. In fact, I know that to be true from experience.

That could be correct (and it makes sense). I'm keeping an eye on the reported resource usage stats - CPU and DB are "bundled" together there, stated as: "CPU Usage. DB usage included."

Then again, it's the resource limit set (and charged for), so it's sort of just an academic discussion on what exactly puts the load. But yes, WordPress puts most load when large database edits are being made - so what you are saying is probably right.

Thanked by (1)Lee

• vyasvyas OG
    edited October 2021

@Lee said:

It would but then if you are doing that it is not likely that you will be using shared hosting. Many go on about CPU being the main bottleneck but I suspect in many cases that is not true. MySQL can be the bigger bottleneck in a shared environment. In fact, I know that to be true from experience.

what mention below is part wishful thinking and part frustration. So read it as such.

The reason for continuing with shared hosting is so that the website users can continue doing what they do- login , upload/post content / make backups etc. the heavy lifting (mysql in particular) is taken out of equation .

Hypothetically I can go with hosting closest to home/ where website owners are (India) and not worry about looking elsewhere. Not to mention the recent regulations on Paypal and foreign currency transactions. (A whole new conversation )

But yes maybe I am over analyzing the situation and not sure what can of worms it may open

Thanked by (1)Lee
  • LeeLee OG
    edited October 2021

@vyas said: the heavy lifting (mysql in particular) is taken out of equation .

I have a setup with DigitalOcean where one Droplet is dedicated to MySQL, nothing else, it makes a significant difference keeping that away from all other operations related to site operation.

The issue with shared environments is that there is only one MySQL installation. Say you are on a server and it all it has is 50 Worpdress installs across all users. Setting limits is fine but if all 50 or a good portion of them are carrying out DB operations at the same time it impacts MySQL performance for everyone, even if they are all within their individual limits.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin vyas

@Lee said:

@vyas said: the heavy lifting (mysql in particular) is taken out of equation .

I have a setup with DigitalOcean where one Droplet is dedicated to MySQL, nothing else, it makes a significant difference keeping that away from all other operations related to site operation.

The issue with shared environments is that there is only one MySQL installation. Say you are on a server and it all it has is 50 Worpdress installs across all users. Setting limits is fine but if all 50 or a good portion of them are carrying out DB operations at the same time it impacts MySQL performance for everyone, even if they are all within their individual limits.

That is true. That's why shared hosting providers who pile a lot of customers on one server, or don't distribute customers per their average load, across different servers, or tolerate abuse - have slower performance.

That is also why I expect the current HostMantis reseller hosting plans to have good performance (unless they put 100s of reseller accounts on one server, but their performance has been very good so far).

• Really just a factor to consider especially if MySQL based sites appear to be running slow. As suggested, it depends on the provider.

It can be easy to see it with WordPress sometimes when you log into the Admin Panel. A plugin heavy site generally tends to shit itself on shared hosts when accessing admin, it is MySQL causing that. Sometimes it is not too much of an impact but generally, you notice the backend going slower than the front. It's why you should never judge your WP front-end performance whilst remaining logged into the backend.

• Just to add to the options for those looking for alternative shared hosting, these are some of the cheapest discounted plans from netcup that's still available:

Expert Special 2018
    Disk Space: 250 GB
    Domains: 15
    Price: 2,45€/month (per 6 months)
    https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2033

Webhosting 4000 Sommer 2018
    Disk Space: 100 GB
    Domains: 6
    Price: 3,99€/month (per 12 months)
    https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2206

Webhosting EiWoMiSau
    Domains: 20
    Price: 4,76€/month (per 12 months)
    https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2042

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@casadebamburojo said:
    Just to add to the options for those looking for alternative shared hosting, these are some of the cheapest discounted plans from netcup that's still available:

Expert Special 2018
    Domains: 15
    Price: 2,45€/month (per 6 months)
    https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2033

Webhosting 4000 Sommer 2018
    Disk Space: 100 GB
    Domains: 6
    Price: 3,99€/month (per 12 months)
    https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2206

Webhosting EiWoMiSau
    Domains: 20
    Price: 4,76€/month (per 12 months)
    https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2042

Not a fan ot Netcup for Webhosting. You can't easily move websites to them without downtime since you can't add a domain with them if your ns are not pointing to them. Backups are not accessible and restoration costs 9€ flat. No easy going back without own Backups (which you should have, but daily provider backups are convenient, too). They are an established provider, but I'm not a fan.

Thanked by (2)Lee bikegremlin
  • @Ympker said: Not a fan ot Netcup for Webhosting.

Indeed, Netcup makes a simple service complicated.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
    edited October 2021

@Lee said:
    Checked out Brixly again in more detail, going to migrate to them. I might even just give DA a shot this time. Preference for cPanel but for the sites in question it makes no difference. Exact same price either way, you do get a bit more accounts with DA, 25 instead of 20, not that I need that many anyway.

Took a look at Brixly.
    On paper - prices and services offered look very good.

But I really don't like this sentence from their TOS:
    "We have the right to disclose your identity to any third party that claims that any content posted or submitted by you in relation to the Website infringes their intellectual property rights or their right to privacy or confidentiality."

Any maniac can just "claim" - and get a customer's info?
    Or is British law different and I misunderstood?

This is more technical - resource usage limits:
    "Whilst the quantity of accounts can be considered ‘unlimited’, we retain the right to impose limits in cases whereby the usage is deemed ‘excessive’, or is consuming more than 25% of the servers overall usage. In such cases, Brixly will try to offer an alternative solution, by means of secondary or replacement products / upgrades."

For shared sub-accounts:
    "....you may not:
    a. use more than 10% of our platform’s processing capacity. There are numerous activities that could cause such problems, including (but not limited to)..."

I heard many people complain about HostMantis shutting down accounts for resource usage (they define "not over 25% CPU for over 30 minutes"), so it's a sort of a heads up. Those are all reasonable limits for a shared hosting environment IMO.

• @bikegremlin said: But I really don't like this sentence from their TOS:

That does appear very specific and in response to something so I suspect they have had issues in the past and it is a visual deterrent. I didn't look at their terms, I don't look at any to be fair as they are mostly boiler plate. That said, do you trust that all other hosts just because they don't have that or something specific in their terms It means they don't or wouldn't do something? A case of more fool you I guess when it comes to the hosting industry.

@bikegremlin said: use more than 10% of our platform’s processing capacity
    @bikegremlin said: consuming more than 25% of the servers overall usage

Both sound a heck of a lot more than

@bikegremlin said: not over 25% CPU for over 30 minutes

The Brixly server I am on is their own hardware and a 32/64 EPYC with 128GB Ram vs HM stock SYS/OVH server with 4/8 Intel and 32GB Ram. The former would seem to give more at 10% of platform resource or 25% of overall server. Although, for all either is worth given they all use CL so you will likely hit some other limit first on both.

Doesn't matter for me anymore, I decided to stop being lazy, got a bare metal fired up, installing JetBackup at the moment, will not use a panel at all. Hello command line I've missed you. In addition, I will use MXRoute for everyone's mail needs as they give CrossBox now which family/friends will prefer. It will cost 10x more each month but it has never been about the money.

edited October 2021

@Lee said:

@bikegremlin said: But I really don't like this sentence from their TOS:

That does appear very specific and in response to something so I suspect they have had issues in the past and it is a visual deterrent. I didn't look at their terms, I don't look at any to be fair as they are mostly boiler plate. That said, do you trust that all other hosts just because they don't have that or something specific in their terms It means they don't or wouldn't do something? A case of more fool you I guess when it comes to the hosting industry.

The Brixly server I am on is their own hardware and a 32/64 EPYC with 128GB Ram vs HM stock SYS/OVH server with 4/8 Intel and 32GB Ram. The former would seem to give more at 10% of platform resource or 25% of overall server. Although, for all either is worth given they all use CL so you will likely hit some other limit first on both.

Doesn't matter for me anymore, I decided to stop being lazy, got a bare metal fired up, installing JetBackup at the moment, will not use a panel at all. Hello command line I've missed you. In addition, I will use MXRoute for everyone's mail needs as they give CrossBox now which family/friends will prefer. It will cost 10x more each month but it has never been about the money.

I can't praise MXroute enough - really happy with the service.

As for the TOS - I read it carefully, in order to act in good faith. I.e. I know what I need & want, and wish to see if the provider is willing to provide that - and at which price. The best I can do is check, test and see. But if something seems off right from the start - then that's it.

Regarding the resource limits:
    For shared hosting - 10% limit of the entire server is surely to be limited by the account's LVE limits well before that (or, I hope so - based on your info on the servers, it must be the case). With HostMantis, it's the 25% of the account's allowed LVE limits - not for the entire server (at least the way I understood it).
    But when it comes to reseller account limits (25% of the server at Brixly) and not clearly stated with HostMantis, I guess it depends on how big your account is.
    Either way, it's good to take note and avoid any unpleasant surprises. Both of those limits seem quite reasonable for a shared hosting environment.

Brixly offer looks good, I was looking forward to some 1st hand feedback (before checking with them about that "peculiar" TOS line).

• I think they did a role back. Now all plans with a longer billing period than monthly get an additional 25% discount: https://my.hostmantis.com/announcements/155/Updated-Pricing-for-2022.html

If I'm correct, this must be cheaper than before now. $1 * 25% (increase) = $1.25 and then another 25% additional discount makes it ~$0.94. At least their support told me this mentioned 25% won't replace the usual 25% recurring coupon.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@Lee said:

@bikegremlin said: But I really don't like this sentence from their TOS:

that's a good way forward!

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• MikePTMikePT Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

@Ympker said:

@Lee said:
    I signed up with Brixly, went with DA just for a change of panel scenery. Will go with @bikegremlin suggestion and get a Hetzner storage box for backups which would appear to work well with DA.

I might just consider them as well. I used them years back when their Germany location was with Contabo and @MikePT was still working there iirc. Performance was stellar and support was fast. Why not give them a try again :)

@bikegremlin might be interesting for your resource intensive sites. They have cPanel premium hosting plans starting with 6GB RAM/6 Cores and even higher.

Sorry for the late reply mate.

I'm still working for Brixly and have been for a long time.

Cheers!

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @webcraft said:
    I think they did a role back. Now all plans with a longer billing period than monthly get an additional 25% discount: https://my.hostmantis.com/announcements/155/Updated-Pricing-for-2022.html

If I'm correct, this must be cheaper than before now. $1 * 25% (increase) = $1.25 and then another 25% additional discount makes it ~$0.94. At least their support told me this mentioned 25% won't replace the usual 25% recurring coupon.

still the same bullshit, I don't understand the need of increasing DA prices and at the same time capping the resources at the reseller level

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@MikePT said:

@Ympker said:

@Lee said:

Sorry for the late reply mate.

I'm still working for Brixly and have been for a long time.

Cheers!

No worries! That's good to know, though! Glad to see you are still aboard :)

Thanked by (1)MikePT
  • anyone is using Singapore reseller from nexusbytes? decided to give them a shot after HM issue but its been down for the last 4 hours

• @wordpress said:
    anyone is using Singapore reseller from nexusbytes? decided to give them a shot after HM issue but its been down for the last 4 hours

https://heartbeat.nexusbytes.com/
    and
    @seriesn

• @bikegremlin said:
    "We have the right to disclose your identity to any third party that claims that any content posted or submitted by you in relation to the Website infringes their intellectual property rights or their right to privacy or confidentiality."

Well, you can bet that. whether that is in ToS or not, hosts will be forced to do that once a legal warrant comes in.

Thanked by (1)webcraft

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• @deank said:

@bikegremlin said:

Well, you can bet that. whether that is in ToS or not, hosts will be forced to do that once a legal warrant comes in.

Slow day, @deank ? no Nighs to track?

@deank said:

@bikegremlin said:

No problems with that (a legal warrant coming in). Is that what's understood when it's said "claims"?