Need low cost (low end) KVM for running Pi-hole

I need a low end KVM for running Pi-hole. I tried to install Pi-hole on OpenVZ, but it failed since it needs access to kernel features.

Ref: https://pi-hole.net/

Thanks.

Comments

• bruh21bruh21 Hosting Provider

what is stopping you from buying any cheap racknerd and using that? is there a certain location you had in mind?

• @11111jfkdd said:
    what is stopping you from buying any cheap racknerd and using that? is there a certain location you had in mind?

Thanks

• Google cloud free tier

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

Don't run an open resolver. Exceptionally bad idea.

Either put it behind a VPN or use something like nextdns instead

• Just wait for Black Friday, you can surely grab a nice deal.

• @VPS said:
    Just wait for Black Friday, you can surely grab a nice deal.

just saw your profile pic and understood that you are a grabber-

Thanked by (1)bdl
  • WJNWJN OG
    edited October 2021

@havoc said:

I do not believe pi hole responds to DNS ANY requests. See the two following tests; the second test I am accessing my pi hole on my local network.

dig ANY hormel.com @8.8.8.8
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 1168

dig ANY hormel.com @192.168.1.15
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 55

• havochavoc OGContent Writer
    edited October 2021

@WJN said:

@havoc said:

I do not believe pi hole responds to DNS ANY requests. See the two following tests; the second test I am accessing my pi hole on my local network.

dig ANY hormel.com @8.8.8.8
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 1168

dig ANY hormel.com @192.168.1.15
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 55

An open resolver responds to requests by definition.

If you don't believe me - see here post by a moderator of pihole sub basically saying please don't do this

https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/comments/dxo1jg/dumb_question_why_cant_there_be_public_pihole_dns/f7tnrim/

Pihole is awesome but don't publicly expose them in any shape or form

Thanked by (1)bdl
  • What kernel features? I was running it on some MrVM NAT instances for quite a while. Havoc's right though, don't expose them directly.

• I moved from pihole to AdGuard Home a year ago. I allow incoming port 53 on local connection only and the rest handled by DNS over TLS via port 853.

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
    Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

• @chocolateshirt said:
    I moved from pihole to AdGuard Home a year ago. I allow incoming port 53 on local connection only and the rest handled by DNS over TLS via port 853.

any reason you move to adguard ?
    currenly running pihole in stb ex-indi***home and works well.

• @havoc said:

Either put it behind a VPN or use something like nextdns instead

Iptables with country white list should work.

Action and Reaction in history

• edited October 2021

@shell said:

@chocolateshirt said:
    I moved from pihole to AdGuard Home a year ago. I allow incoming port 53 on local connection only and the rest handled by DNS over TLS via port 853.

native support DNS over TLS & DNS over HTTPS, I installed it on 256 MB VPS and it work flawlessly from any devices around the country. Android 9 and iOS 13 currently support DNS over TLS, so if any provider use transparent DNS proxy, you could easily bypass it. If you use pihole on Indihome STB it will work only inside your home internet.

Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

• @chocolateshirt said:

@shell said:

@chocolateshirt said:

native support DNS over TLS & DNS over HTTPS, I installed it on 256 MB VPS and it work flawlessly from any devices around the country. Android 9 and iOS 13 currently support DNS over TLS, so if any provider use transparent DNS proxy, you could easily bypass it.

i see, you need to be accesible anywhere via internet

If you use pihole on Indihome STB it will work only inside your home internet.

exactly what i need, only for home network

thankyou for your explanation

• @shell said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@shell said:

@chocolateshirt said:

native support DNS over TLS & DNS over HTTPS, I installed it on 256 MB VPS and it work flawlessly from any devices around the country. Android 9 and iOS 13 currently support DNS over TLS, so if any provider use transparent DNS proxy, you could easily bypass it.

i see, you need to be accesible anywhere via internet

Yes, I always want to use private DNS, not bounded by home network. The important one is I need adblock services. Pihole need a different software for DoT & DoH support, made it less convenient.

• I run Wirehole on a VM from Inception Hosting and it's awesome. Wirehole is Wireguard, Pihole and Unbound. No need to open 53 to the world, the resolver is only available in the VPN

Thanked by (2)babah vimalware
  • edited October 2021

@thagoat said:

who is Inception Hosting
    whos that man

i can barely remember him..... did the octopus eat him? @InceptionHosting

• Thanked by (1)ehab
  • edited October 2021

nope
    must be the

that got him first