HostDoc vs ReliableSite - LA Shutdown Imminent

K4Y5K4Y5 OG
edited December 2019 in Industry News

This is as bad as an announcement can get, but we are here now and it looks like there is no resolution on the horizon.

ReliableSite, our service provider for our LA server have done the unthinkable and we will soon no longer be able to offer a service out of LA via ReliableSite.

ReliableSite was recently contacted by ourselves. The purpose for making contact was to see the possibility of acquiring their Ryzen 3900X as a replacement for the current i9 and moving our subnet over.
The subnet in question is ours and leased directly from another provider, yet, RS wanted to charge us $2/IP for the move.! This began a dispute.
They refused to read the tickets fully and kept offering canned responses until they totally stopped responding at all.

Further contact was attempted via discord and Skype. They blocked both.

We now have reason to believe the relationship with RS will not be a long lasting one as it has been with all of our previous providers and as such, a shutdown of the LA service seems imminent if a replacement cannot be found in a short time from an alternative provider.

We have been taking backups all day and this may have been noticed from the undesirable high load for most of the day while also combating an unseen amount of abuse on the server.

As of now, a full refund is being offered to all LA clients because it is inevitable there will be a disruption to the service.
Please note, we did everything in our power to avoid this and for taking reactive precautions, RS said we were ranting and blocked all communication channels.

We shall continue trying to source an immediate similar or better replacement for LA, however, our v4 and v6 subnets still have to be moved and re-announced and this may take a few days.
We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience this has so far caused and will further cause to our clients.
Emergency placement in any of our other available locations is available if needed if there are adequate resources available. Dallas and Singapore are not an option unfortunately.

Once again, a full refund is offered for all clients from November.
Clients who have had a service since November will be entitled to a full refund of their entire payments.
Clients whose services started before November and have annual plans will get a pro-rata refund from November.

This announcement serves as a notice to immediately take your own backups also.
We are taking backups but cannot guarantee all will be available in time. We cannot backup Windows instances.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused and we aim to rectify this asap.
HostDoc Hosting Team

Comments

• uptimeuptime OG
    edited December 2019

tl;dr - as per @HostDoc: if you're on their LA node, be sure to make a copy elsewhere of any data you care about ASAP ...

(Hope for the best but plan for the worst)

HS4LIFE (+ (* 3 4) (* 5 6))

• :s poor doctor

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• Who do we root for?

• The underdog!

When do we do it?

• All the days!
    Thanked by (4)terrorgen K4Y5 poisson matts
  • cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

Garrett Popcorn anyone?

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Hosting ProviderOG

Interesting story, waiting to here a statement from RS

Enterprise Dedicated Servers | NYC + Dallas | Superior Network

• FranciscoFrancisco Hosting ProviderOG

ReliableSite ryzen' their prices.

I'll be here all week.

Francisco

• I hope it will be a professional discussion. At least here, if not on the other site. Can't see any fault with how @HostDoc is handling this for the moment.

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG
    edited December 2019

@HostDoc if you need any help, even just a bit of short term extra man power on different time zones answering tickets feel free to reach out, obviously free.

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• poisson said: Can't see any fault with how @HostDoc is handling this for the moment.

You must be kidding? The way he is handling it is shocking for anything but LET standards.

Thanked by (2)vpsgeek Ouji
  • PureVoltagePureVoltage Hosting ProviderOG

Interesting, always like to hear both sides.

PureVoltage - Custom Dedicated Servers Dual E5-2680v3 64gb ram 1TB nvme 100TB/10g $145
    New York Colocation - Amazing pricing 1U-48U+

• To whomever hasn't seen it on LET, parts of both sides' story are there.

• uptimeuptime OG
    edited December 2019

lgsin said: seen it on LET

I'm hopeful that most of us here can be satisfied to just leave it at that for now.

I do enjoy pointless drama, but ... it could be nice to see a slightly more helpful mode of discussion here, if that's at all possible. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe will be even a bit more interesting to see if a way to a more amicable resolution could eventually be arrived at somehow - while it might seem like a stupidly slim chance at the moment, maybe after some time passes, who knows ...

HS4LIFE (+ (* 3 4) (* 5 6))

• @Lee said:

poisson said: Can't see any fault with how @HostDoc is handling this for the moment.

You must be kidding? The way he is handling it is shocking for anything but LET standards.

I am not sure what you mean. Not very PR-ish for sure but certainly trying to minimise damage in a responsible manner.

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• uptime said: Maybe will be even a bit more interesting to see if a way to a more amicable resolution could eventually be arrived at somehow - while it might seem like a stupidly slim chance at the moment, maybe after some time passes, who knows ...

I hope so. Both sides are too emotional at the moment IMHO.

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • From what I read,
    2 providers behaved like humans with emotion instead of business with consideration.

There is no winner or loser. Radic is a stand up guy and @HostDoc runs a tight ship. Shit happens. It is what it is.

No drama folks. Nothing to keep LE world entertained this weekend.

• I don't want to take sides because nobody knows the full picture, but the email was not very professional, to say the least.

It's also difficult to believe that they can't do one of the following:

• Keep the RS server online until they can migrate.
    • Get a new server up and running in a reasonable timeframe, in Los Angeles of all places.

Maybe they don't have a contract? Is the situation so dire to suspect that the server can be disconnected at any moment? From the outside, it looks like an unreasonable escalation in a situation where a silent and more professional exit would've been possible.

• tgltgl OG
    edited December 2019

@Nyr said:
    I don't want to take sides because nobody knows the full picture, but the email was not very professional, to say the least.

• Get a new server up and running in a reasonable timeframe, in Los Angeles of all places.

Maybe they don't have a contract? Is the situation so dire to suspect that the server can be disconnected at any moment? From the outside, it looks like an unreasonable escalation in a situation where a silent and more professional exit would've been possible.

@Nyr said:
    I don't want to take sides because nobody knows the full picture, but the email was not very professional, to say the least.

i think he sent the e-mail because he freaked out when he got blocked on skype and discord and thought Mr Radic is going to stop the servers soon, in truth, I think it was not very good what happened, and the situation could have been handled in a better way, even if RS demanded $2/ip/migration, I still dont understand why they asked that, maybe @HostDoc thought it was a shakedown, without the full picture we cannot know or take sides, anyway, he handed it in a bad way, the customers became concerned, even if his wish was to warn them about some potential issue

next time, take a chill pill, thats my advice, even if you are right, some times its not enough

i would not rely too much on contracts, if you close your business because of such an incident it does not matter if you get some money after a long trial from some guy, because it wont cover it

about RS: if he blocks his annoying customers on chats and stops answering tickets, thank you, i will never try or buy, its very unprofessional

• Nyr said: where a silent and more professional exit would've been possible.

This exactly, no customer should ever need to be a part of a dispute between the host and their service providers. It really comes across as the provider trying to save face by blaming someone else for a service interruption their clients are about to face.

All the client needs to know is how this is going to affect them, what the host is doing as a result and what if anything the customer has to do. Fine to say they have had to take the decision to find a new provider as a result of a disagreement over service provision, but leave it at that.

• @Lee said:

Nyr said: where a silent and more professional exit would've been possible.

This exactly, no customer should ever need to be a part of a dispute between the host and their service providers. It really comes across as the provider trying to save face by blaming someone else for a service interruption their clients are about to face.

All the client needs to know is how this is going to affect them, what the host is doing as a result and what if anything the customer has to do. Fine to say they have had to take the decision to find a new provider as a result of a disagreement over service provision, but leave it at that.

Ok, I see where you are going. Not sure if he deliberately intended to lay the blame on someone else or he just panicked, but both sides could have handled this much better for sure.

• LeeLee OG
    edited December 2019

poisson said: but both sides could have handled this much better for sure.

And there lies the issue with public displays of emotion intended to cause drama, yes, that is what HostDoc clearly did. He knew that the announcement would get posted on LET. We don't know the full story so will never know whether RS was unreasonable in whatever occurred. We do know HostDoc could have handled it better though.

Thanked by (3)mikho Clouvider poisson
  • I agree. This could have been a simple we are exiting la or we are migrating dc email due to conflicts with our existing DC vs an essay , that looks like it was sent out of frustration and kinda create negative PR for the other party.

Sometime ms, too much detail is bad. For everyone.

Thanked by (2)Lee poisson
  • vpsgeekvpsgeek OG
    edited December 2019

The situation could've been handled better. From what I have observed HostDoc owner (Chike) really loses his cool when a client posts something on any forum which could be deemed negative. He is of course good at managing technical aspects of his business but from what I have seen I will advise him not to do PR, marketing & social interaction regarding his business.

ReliableSite also need better in-house support or things like this will keep occuring

One thing that no one noticed is mtwiscool (I hope some people remember his past) coming out of hiatus after years only to post in that discusssion & asking both sides to make more drama is very suspicious.

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint

Recommend: SmallWeb|BuyVM|Linode|RamNode

• vpsgeek said: One thing that no one noticed is mtwiscool (I hope some people remember his past) coming out of hiatus after years only to post in that discusssion & asking both sides to make more drama is very suspicious.

I saw him, only makes me think he is a HostDoc client that has made him crawl out to comment.

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek
  • He has popped up before with similar comments in non Hostdoc threads.

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek
  • @lazyt said:
    He has popped up before with similar comments in non Hostdoc threads.

His last comment before today was back in July 2016

Thanked by (1)Lee

• vpsgeekvpsgeek OG
    edited December 2019

If I recall correctly he was on a permban. So if I am not wrong he getting ban revoked & appearing suddenly in that thread to ask for more drama is very suspicious

Thanked by (2)InceptionHosting Amitz

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@lazyt said:
    He has popped up before with similar comments in non Hostdoc threads.

It is probably now a CC sock puppet account, they actively encourage drama as it drives up forum page views which justifies advertising revenue.

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• it could also be he was released from the psychiatric facility

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek
  • LeeLee OG
    edited December 2019

vpsgeek said: If I recall correctly he was on a permban.

As were quite a few, but they were all unsuspended a while ago along with people like Robert Clarke who still posts every now and then who should never, ever have been allowed back after what he did.

Thanked by (2)vpsgeek Amitz
  • vpsgeekvpsgeek OG
    edited December 2019

@Lee said:

vpsgeek said: If I recall correctly he was on a permban.

As were quite a few, but they were all unsuspended a while ago along with people like Robert Clarke who still posts every now and then who should never, ever have been allowed back after what he did.

Than those bans removed makes it easy for owners of that forum to reuse those accounts for personal gains without anyone suspecting a thing. Chris Fapoozi has been involved in it before.

Robert Clarke was involved in hack & DDoS episodes or something else?

This mtwiscool guy is the same person who ran 32mb.club & other such highly laughable projects.
    From what I remember of his behavior it could never be real mtwiscool. I also suspect what @AnthonySmith mentioned in his last comment above