NOVOS outage/possible closure?

Their site, novos.be, is down (not just for me) and I also just received a Paypal notification that they cancelled my automatic payment. Time to ensure any services you run there are properly backed up! (and maybe to consider alternate hosting options?)

@martijnk could you let us know what is going on?

Kimsufi KS-3, Mr.VM NAT128, InceptionHosting NAT256 Bundle, MiniKVM Mini+, Porkbun-powered domain
Running Nextcloud (DE), Mail-in-a-Box, OpenVPN, Teamspeak 3, Home Assistant (tutorials/scripts in links where available)

Comments

• Seems this is actually a closure. Very sad indeed. Hope things work out for you @martijnk

Kimsufi KS-3, Mr.VM NAT128, InceptionHosting NAT256 Bundle, MiniKVM Mini+, Porkbun-powered domain
    Running Nextcloud (DE), Mail-in-a-Box, OpenVPN, Teamspeak 3, Home Assistant (tutorials/scripts in links where available)

• Not only their Novos Brick but whole service then.

• IIRC he was looking to sell novos.be I guess nothing worked out.

• Damn, I liked Novos Brick.
    Anyone know of a similar provider?

• billing is up and working fine all other services are online too.

• @rcy026 said:
    Damn, I liked Novos Brick.

NOVOS BRICK is very slow because it only supports WebDAV.
    I obtained HostHatch 250GB HDD, Chicago location, for $15/year.
    I can use SFTP that is faster.

If you want a free service, 👉 Deep Atlantic Storage 👈, free and unlimited.

@Neoon said:
    billing is up and working fine all other services are online too.

The end is nigh for microLXC Belgium.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• SGrafSGraf Hosting ProviderServices Provider

@ilnahro said:
    Seems this is actually a closure. Very sad indeed. Hope things work out for you @martijnk

I seem to recall a WHT thread about a part of novos being for sale. I also believe that i inquired about acquisition opportunities, but i am not sure i got a reply. (will check re-check my mail/... later)

MyRoot.PW ★ Dedicated Servers ★ Web-Hosting ★ LIR-Services ★
    MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★
    Blesta.Store ★ Blesta licenses and Add-ons at amazing Prices ★

• Hi all,

I didn't realize I would get so much attention on LES/LET about closing down. I suspected a lot of drama but instead I got a lot of positive responses which surprised me a bit and made me even more sad about closing down.

Anyway the reason is, I became a father not so long ago :) And there is just too much time going into this, apart from my full time work as an IT consultant. I need to spend more time with the family. And yes the company was a one-man show.

Another reason is, I made some spectaculair sales on LET and LES but these were made to get some attention, but I never succeeded in the marketing bit of hosting. I'm a 100% technical guy, I think I had a great setup but I had no buyers that were willing to pay a fair price for it. That combined with all the other costs, colo, software licensing, IP rental etc etc the list is very long. It was impossible to make a profit and I was losing a lot of money every month. Money I can spent elsewhere.

I really enjoyed it though and I wish I succeeded and could have done it full time but unfortunatley it didn't pan out as expected.

I know I made a post on WHT about takeover, I never came to create a hardware list but here it is: https://pastebin.com/Fw8dH3nT

I will keep running until next year, if someone is interested in takeover let me know. Create a ticket on https://billing.novos.be. Or if you have some other idea let me know as well. If there are no interesting offers I will just sell the hw individually.

Thanks guys!

• @martijnk said:
    Hi all,

I didn't realize I would get so much attention on LES/LET about closing down. I suspected a lot of drama but instead I got a lot of positive responses which surprised me a bit and made me even more sad about closing down.

Anyway the reason is, I became a father not so long ago :) And there is just too much time going into this, apart from my full time work as an IT consultant. I need to spend more time with the family. And yes the company was a one-man show.

Another reason is, I made some spectaculair sales on LET and LES but these were made to get some attention, but I never succeeded in the marketing bit of hosting. I'm a 100% technical guy, I think I had a great setup but I had no buyers that were willing to pay a fair price for it. That combined with all the other costs, colo, software licensing, IP rental etc etc the list is very long. It was impossible to make a profit and I was losing a lot of money every month. Money I can spent elsewhere.

I really enjoyed it though and I wish I succeeded and could have done it full time but unfortunatley it didn't pan out as expected.

I know I made a post on WHT about takeover, I never came to create a hardware list but here it is: https://pastebin.com/Fw8dH3nT

I will keep running until next year, if someone is interested in takeover let me know. Create a ticket on https://billing.novos.be. Or if you have some other idea let me know as well. If there are no interesting offers I will just sell the hw individually.

Thanks guys!

Best wishes!

Thanked by (1)martijnk
  • MasonMason AdministratorOG

@martijnk said: Hi all...

Appreciate the honesty and transparency! Without a doubt, that's why you're getting positive responses even in light of the bad news. Well... that and giving decent advanced notice/offering refunds for time remaining

Best of luck moving forward and welcome to the dad club!

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• Best wishes. I applaud your decision.

Thanked by (1)martijnk
  • Sorry to hear about it, though at least the closure is for a good reason! Congrats on becoming a father and I wish you and your family the best of luck and health.

Thanked by (3)Xenic terrorgen martijnk

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• Good luck in your future plans!

Thanked by (1)martijnk
  • Probably one of the best providers I have dealt with,
    Never really had any issues, and if any were quickly looked after. The support provided over Telegram was amazing.
    It was money well spent and now I'll have to start looking for alternatives.

It is really sad when a good provider closes down, I wish you all the best with your new project(baby) :smile:

Thanked by (1)martijnk
  • I suspected something was going on when my payment didn't came through and subsequently my PayPal subscription was cancelled. Even though I paid.

Anyway, @martijnk quickly refunded me so all is good. Wish you all the best in the future and I'm sorry it didn't work out. I was quite happy with my Belgian Box for the last year!

Thanked by (1)martijnk
  • @martijnk said: I suspected a lot of drama but instead I got a lot of positive responses which surprised me

You should not expect anything else. You were very honest in dealing with the closure, and tried really hard to provide a good and interesting service for the time it lasted.

I was never a customer, but I wish you the best.

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@Nyr said: I was never a customer, but I wish you the best.

Me too! Congrats from a fellow Dad Club member as well! :)

Thanked by (1)martijnk

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• edited November 2021

@martijnk said:
    Hi all,

I think we all definitely appreciate the open and timely communication. I was a bit worried when the payment was cancelled before the explanation arrived (hence the initial thread) but that was probably just me over-reacting (I've had poor experiences in the past). Anyway, I was very happy with the service (proud to carry the old MiniKVM tag in my sig here ;) ) and am sad to see you terminate it. But I can certainly appreciate why you made this decision and so all that rests is to wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Any suggestions for a similar alternative are most welcome :)

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles martijnk

• I only spent a buck, never used it and don't regret it.
    Take Care @martijnk

Thanked by (2)martijnk ialexpw

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• Congratulations @martijnk and best of luck.

Would be nice if someone could take/buy over though :smiley:

Thanked by (1)martijnk

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• Best of luck @martijnk

Thanked by (1)martijnk
  • @yoursunny said:

@rcy026 said:
    Damn, I liked Novos Brick.

NOVOS BRICK is very slow because it only supports WebDAV.

I need WebDAV and performance is totally irrelevant, so it was perfect for my needs.

If you want a free service, 👉 Deep Atlantic Storage 👈, free and unlimited.

I really do not understand this kind of humour.

Thanked by (2)quicksilver03 K4Y5
  • edited November 2021

@martijnk Although it is sad to see a good host quitting, I would like to send you my best regards and congratulations to your new life! Happy Dad!

@SMARTHOST @ReadyDedis may be interested in taking over :)

Thanked by (1)martijnk
  • @martijnk thank u for thé great hosting, best wishes for u and u family.

Thanked by (1)martijnk
  • @martijnk Thanks for your best services <3

• SGrafSGraf Hosting ProviderServices Provider

Sent a ticket - to evaluate if i could provider users with an uninterrupted experience., must be a really bad situation as no response was received. From my point of view that case is closed.

MyRoot.PW ★ Dedicated Servers ★ Web-Hosting ★ LIR-Services ★
    MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★
    Blesta.Store ★ Blesta licenses and Add-ons at amazing Prices ★

• @martijnk I canceled my service November 17 and opened a ticket for a refund. I am concerned because my account has also been deleted and no response from you.

• ReadyDedisReadyDedis Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

@martijnk said:
    Hi all,

Thanks guys!

Dropping you a ticket.

Thanked by (1)user123
  • @ReadyDedis

If you get an answer, please ask him why he is dodging refund requests.