Reseller hosting recommendation

bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer
edited November 2021 in Requests

Looking for good quality reseller hosting for my own WordPress websites.

Prefer DirectAdmin so any money I pay goes to the provider, not having a large chunk go to the cPanel & Co, but I wouldn't exclude cPanel if all else is good.

Budget? The cheapest one that is good. If it's $10 per month - great. If it's $100 per month - not great, but if nothing cheaper does the job, it's worth giving it a try.

MyW.pt uptime is not as good as I'd like. It's far from bad, but I'd happily pay more for higher uptime and 24/7 support for the "ZOMG losing millions" stuff. :)
Though I am seriously considering it.

Resources?
50 GB storage, some 25 websites (most very small, most WordPress).

Location?
UK preferred, US east coast OK as well as Germany. Other locations are fine, but less preferable.

Needed resources per sub-account:
CPU 1 vCPU
RAM 1 GB
IO 7 MB/s
IOPS 1,024
EP 20
TP 40
Bandwidth 512000 MB

Edit: preferred resources per sub-account:

CPU 1.5+
RAM 1.5 G+
IO 7 MB/s+
IOPS 1,024+
EP 20+
TP 40+
Bandwidth 512000 MB+

Priorities (from the most to the least important): security, uptime, performance, price.

It would also be very, very good if tech. support does look into WP as well when all else fails. Most of the times I report a WP website problem, I've already tried the standard stuff - disabling plugins, switching theme, cloning to a different server/provider to confirm it works there, disabling Cloudflare proxy etc.

Edit: HostMantis excluded - looking for a 2nd option.
Veerotech has been fine, and if I go the cPanel route, it's a likely candidate.
Would prefer a UK location - closer to home, uploads and edits go faster.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

Comments

• Hostmantis no longer tickles your fancy?

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • Given the required secs, hostmantis are the first who come up my mind. Maybe @MikePT too, not sure about his recent performance.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin MikePT
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

Edited the original post:

HostMantis excluded. :)

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• @bikegremlin said:
    MyW.pt uptime is not as good as I'd like. It's far from bad,

Really? Surprised to hear that. I've been with MyW.pt a couple of years (I think) :sweat_smile: ...
    My uptime in Hetrix is 99.98 %, and one screwup/downtime was mine, not @MikePT's ...
    (I'm on the German server.)

That said, the only other shared web hosts I've been quite happy with, are Jolt.co.uk (aff) (used to be the UK branch of WebHostingBuzz.com years ago) and HostingMatters.com.
    AFAIK they're both still on cPanel, though. Jolt's chat support used to be very responsive, and even escalated issues were handled were quickly most of the time. As for HostingMatters I just recall them being very stable, and handling everything very smoothly when server went down, they just restored from backup quickly on a new server. (Which was not the case with some other cheap hosting companies back twenty years ago.) ... :smiley:

edited November 2021

@flips said:

@bikegremlin said:

Really? Surprised to hear that. I've been with MyW.pt a couple of years (I think) :sweat_smile: ...
    My uptime in Hetrix is 99.98 %, and one screwup/downtime was mine, not @MikePT's ...

That said, the only other shared web hosts I've been quite happy with, are Jolt.co.uk (aff) (used to be the UK branch of WebHostingBuzz.com years ago) and HostingMatters.com.
    AFAIK they're both still on cPanel, though. Jolt's chat support used to be very responsive, and even escalated issues were handled were quickly most of the time. As for HostingMatters I just recall them being very stable, and handling everything very smoothly when server went down, they just restored from backup quickly on a new server. (Which was not the case with some other cheap hosting companies back twenty years ago.) ... :smiley:

I've had a bit more downtime than was the case with either HostMantis or Veerotech to name those two (my stats). Not too bad, but I'd pay more for better.
    The same goes for the support - I'm not 100% sure on that myself. One-man show with a competent top-class sys-admin (MyW.pt), or a 24/7 support with canned responses fixing smaller stuff, but still waiting for the man in case of any more complex problems? :)

• @flips said:

@bikegremlin said:

I'm on the German node as well. My hetrix monitor shows 99.96%.

https://hetrixtools.com/report/uptime/0b0c09943657fcdee693b20f50f2389a/

• flipsflips OG
    edited November 2021

I guess 99.96 ain't too many minutes down per year/month ... :sweat_smile:
    (Some of my NAT VPSes has had uptimes below 95 % ...) :astonished:

• MyW.pt uptime is not as good as I'd like.

@bikegremlin

On which location is that?

@Fritz said:
    MyW.pt uptime is not as good as I'd like.

@bikegremlin

https://status.bikegremlin.com/

• Ramnode?
    Never tried their webhosting, but their VPS's are pretty solid.

• webhostukwebhostuk Hosting Provider

Presently are you using Cpanel or directadmin? I think even reseller account is good for you, VPS not needed for present requirement as upgrades can be done at any point of time.

• @bikegremlin said:

@Fritz said:
    MyW.pt uptime is not as good as I'd like.

@bikegremlin

https://status.bikegremlin.com/

That's a decent performance.

@webhostuk said:
    Presently are you using Cpanel or directadmin? I think even reseller account is good for you, VPS not needed for present requirement as upgrades can be done at any point of time.

Both cPanel and DirectAdmin.
    cPanel looks more like a fully finished product, but I did manage to get DirectAdmin to do all I need it to (error logs and logs, in general, are confusing, will open a separate topic on that). So, because of the cPanel pricing policy, I'd rather choose DirectAdmin (prefer to have most of my money going to those who've earned it - the hosting provider).

I also think reseller is a better option for my use case.

• I'm following this thread as I'm also looking for a DirectAdmin-based reseller.

Having said that, @bikegremlin any reason you're not considering Brixly? Their Black Friday promo is £1 for the first 3 months with code BF21-POUND: https://brixly.uk/unlimited-reseller-hosting-directadmin/

@casadebamburojo said:
    I'm following this thread as I'm also looking for a DirectAdmin-based reseller.

Having said that, @bikegremlin any reason you're not considering Brixly? Their Black Friday promo is £1 for the first 3 months with code BF21-POUND: https://brixly.uk/unlimited-reseller-hosting-directadmin/

I asked @Ympker
    He liked Brixly.
    He's German.
    I don't like Germans....

:)
    Joking.
    Giving Brixly a test as of this morning. Will write and publish the standard long, boring detailed notes on the pros and cons in my hosting reviews section.
    Looks good so far. Not perfect, but very good.

Thanked by (2)casadebamburojo Ympker

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@bikegremlin said:

@casadebamburojo said:

I asked @Ympker
    He liked Brixly.
    He's German.
    I don't like Germans....

Joking.
    Giving Brixly a test as of this morning. Will write and publish the standard long, boring detailed notes on the pros and cons in my hosting reviews section.

If you were german, I would say All-Inkl is a solid choice you can take with a blindfold, but not sure how well their English support is in comparison.

@Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:

@casadebamburojo said:

I asked @Ympker
    He liked Brixly.
    He's German.
    I don't like Germans....

Joking.

If you were german, I would say All-Inkl is a solid choice you can take with a blindfold, but not sure how well their English support is in comparison.

Meine Deutch ist scheise,
    meine freunde weise...
    (that should rhyme if I got it remotely correct - no Google translate used, just for laughs :) )

Thanked by (1)Ympker

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:

@casadebamburojo said:

I asked @Ympker
    He liked Brixly.
    He's German.
    I don't like Germans....

Joking.

Meine Deutch ist scheise,
    meine freunde weise...
    (that should rhyme if I got it remotely correct - no Google translate used, just for laughs :) )

I laughed. Mission accomplished :D

So far so good - my Brixly hosting first impressions:
    https://io.bikegremlin.com/25425/brixly-uk-hosting-review/