i dont give a rats ass about php8

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint Rengar
  • vyasvyas OG
    edited December 2021

@11111jfkdd said:
    Too bad I mainly use legacy software on PHP 5.6/7.0

Edited

• I'm lost here, What is the correlation between EOL of php 7.3 and a mandatory for host to provide PHP 8?

• bruh21bruh21 Hosting Provider

@vyas said:

@11111jfkdd said:
    Too bad I mainly use legacy software on PHP 5.6/7.0

Edited

i just think a lot of softwares still dont use php 8 yet

• yoursunny.com has been running on PHP 8.0 since early 2021.

In the past, I upgrade right away as soon as the binary package is available, followed by code fixes.
    Nowadays, I wait a month or two, to avoid potential issues with the small number of Composer dependencies that I use.

WordPress, WHMCS, psst… AVOID.
    Shared hosting with EOL'ed version and no PHP 8.1, psst… AVOID.
    Best shared hosting with PHP 8.1 already? 👉 alwaysdata, 100MB free.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• @11111jfkdd said: softwares still dont use php 8 yet

I remember ioncube, a lot of software depends on its encoder.
    the last time i checked it is still not compatible with php8.

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee
  • PHP 7.2 LOLs

• Php 7.3 @eol

• Woops. Wrong green forum 😅

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

@epsilun said:

@11111jfkdd said: softwares still dont use php 8 yet

Maybe in 2031.

Thanked by (1)webcraft
  • @11111jfkdd said: i dont give a rats ass about php8

There are two kind of situations:

• I can't upgrade to PHP 8 - This one is understandable, Companies will never allocate time for something that doesn't yield business value directly.
    • I won't upgrade/ I don't care - Please have mercy on the next developer that will work on your project. Try to improve little by little at a time. Your future-self will definitely thank you.

If you think upgrading is too hassle to consider, give Rector a try. https://getrector.org/blog/2020/11/30/smooth-upgrade-to-php-8-in-diffs

Thanked by (1)lentro
  • Given that Debian 11 ships with php-7.4, I think that the 7-series will still be relevant for a while to come

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

I'm still running some stuff on PHP 5.4. Using the CloudLinux "sanitized/whatever" PHP (making the obsolete versions less "unsafe").

For my own sites, I switched to 8.0 a few months ago. Was planning to wait for the 8.1 (.1 is always a good idea, the patched versions :) ), but it's not being published, while the 7.4. is nearing the "only emergency patches" state by the end of this year.
    So I gave it a test. Apart from showing some errors in my custom code (fixed :) ), didn't have any problems - only a slight WordPress speed boost.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• ;) Upgraded from 7.3 to 7.4 several months ago.

• edited December 2021

@bikegremlin said: .1 is always a good idea, the patched versions :)

PHP doesn't follow semver. So .1 is not actually a patched version, it is kinda major version by itself.
    PHP versioning scheme is similar to
    <MAJOR Architecture change>(dot)<MAJOR breaking changes with new features>(dot)<MINOR bug fixes & security patches>

So, if you want patched version of PHP 8.0, you need to use PHP 8.0.13
    PHP 8.1 has no patch version yet (since its been just few days)

@bikegremlin said: only a slight WordPress speed boost.

PHP already got such a speed bump on PHP7 era that gaining new speed bump is becoming harder & harder (without sacrificing its dynamic nature).
    So, in last few versions, devs gave more attention to fixing some existing PHP pitfalls, such as saner and powerful type system, improved dev experience.
    Because of those improvements, Speed boost became a nice side-effect. :)

Edit: formatting

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin someTom
  • @epsilun said:

Even more fun. Only since 25 november 2021 does ioncube support PHP7.4! Just 2 weeks before PHP7.3 EOLed, did ioncube manage to make a version that support a not EOLed version of PHP. So I expect PHP8 support no earlier than 14 Nov 2022 for ioncube.

Sourceguardian is a bit more up to date.

• Ehm.. I could not find the difference between PHP 5.x, 7.x, and 8.x

Lol..

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
    Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@chocolateshirt said:
    Ehm.. I could not find the difference between PHP 5.x, 7.x, and 8.x

Lol..

faster and more efficient....

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• @cybertech said:

@chocolateshirt said:

Lol..

faster and more efficient....

I mean from the code itself. If the syntax is same then should be not an issue to upgrade all php backend to the latest version.

Thanked by (1)cybertech

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
    Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

• @yoursunny said:
    yoursunny.com has been running on PHP 8.0 since early 2021.

In the past, I upgrade right away as soon as the binary package is available, followed by code fixes.
    Nowadays, I wait a month or two, to avoid potential issues with the small number of Composer dependencies that I use.

That's why I used to use FreeBSD and Alpine Linux, which have up-to-date PHP version just a few day after released.

• @chocolateshirt said:

Lol..

They all have different version numbers for starters.

Thanked by (2)angstrom chocolateshirt
  • edited December 2021

@Groentjuh said:

@epsilun said:

Even more fun. Only since 25 november 2021 does ioncube support PHP7.4! Just 2 weeks before PHP7.3 EOLed, did ioncube manage to make a version that support a not EOLed version of PHP. So I expect PHP8 support no earlier than 14 Nov 2022 for ioncube.

I used ioncube loader with PHP 7.4 very long time, at least 1 year.

• edited December 2021

@chocolateshirt said: I mean from the code itself. If the syntax is same then should be not an issue to upgrade all php backend to the latest version.

It's substantially different (syntax) in some key areas but if you don't use those specific functions in your code, then you'll not be impacted. osCommerce and derivatives were/are impacted - the reason for still making 5.3.29 (Cloudlinux) available to my few clients.

Thanked by (1)chocolateshirt

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• @giang said:

@Groentjuh said:

@epsilun said:

I used ioncube loader with PHP 7.4 very long time, at least 1 year.

PHP 7.4 loaders were already there for a while, but ioncube could not encode any php 7.4 language features (for example Typed Properties in classes) until very recently.

• @Groentjuh said:
    PHP 7.4 loaders were already there for a while, but ioncube could not encode any php 7.4 language features (for example Typed Properties in classes) until very recently.

I think that the PHP 7.4 must be encoded by ioncube then we will need a loader to decode?

• @angstrom said:
    Given that Debian 11 ships with php-7.4, I think that the 7-series will still be relevant for a while to come

I was expecting PHPv7.5 but suddenly found the release news of PHPv8.