How much do you spend each month on hosting?

As the title said, how much do you spend each month on VPS / Dedicated / Domain for personal use?

I just did some maths to find out how much I actually spent and the number is quite high, I never noticed I idled that much. I may need to cut down some soon (or if providers can cut down the price LOL), especially when 70% or more of that is idling, but most of them are just too good to let go :(

-
  1. How much do you spend each month on hosting?71 votes
    1. Less than $10/m
      25.35%
    2. $10-20/m
      14.08%
    3. $20-30/m
      12.68%
    4. $30-50/m
      14.08%
    5. $50-70/m
        5.63%
    6. $70-90/m
        4.23%
    7. $90-120/m
        5.63%
    8. $120-150/m
        4.23%
    9. $150-180/m
        1.41%
    10. $180-250/m
        0.00%
    11. More than $250/m
      12.68%
Thanked by (1)Janevski

Comments

• Thanked by (2)FAT32 pxnji
  • I purchased a too many dedis to idle this Black Friday ? budget at the top and no use of the machine.

Thanked by (1)FAT32
  • @foxone said:

That gives about $44.37/m which seems pretty good to me. I can also see Contabo is really worth the money given that how big the RAM and SSD is. May I ask what are you using that Contabo for? Can I run Proxmox / nested virt with it like a dedi?

• I spend about 7 USD per month.

Veesp, RU, 512mb/10gb
    FreeRangeCloud, CA, 512mb/16gb
    FreeRangeCloud, NO, 512mb/16gb
    ArubaCloud, DE, 1024mb/20gb
    Hosthatch, US, 1024mb/16gb
    Hosthatch, UK, 512mb/250gb
    Oracle, JP, 1024mb/100gb

Thanked by (1)FAT32
  • I thought I was a good, honest idler, but maybe I'm only a good, cheap idler. Who has $250/m for personal idling?

• Haha. I'm never answering this in a public forum. It's not that much more than a regular priced E3 dedi in LA.

What would be a more interesting question would be tally up all the ram, disk spread across your inventory and see the utilization percentage.

I checked and I have about 8 TB currently available spread across all non-SSD hosts.
    This total tallied in my spreadsheet is what keeps me from jumping at storage KVM unless a higher 'value' swapout can be performed.
    This Total should decrease very soon since I'm Re-doing my backup system after having picked up the 3TB hosthatch London storage deal in September. ($2.33/1000GB)

Thanked by (1)FAT32
  • @uhu said:
    I thought I was a good, honest idler, but maybe I'm only a good, cheap idler. Who has $250/m for personal idling?

@exFAT

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• @FATwallet more like.

• foxonefoxone OG
    edited December 2019

@FAT32 said:

@foxone said:

That gives about $44.37/m which seems pretty good to me. I can also see Contabo is really worth the money given that how big the RAM and SSD is. May I ask what are you using that Contabo for? Can I run Proxmox / nested virt with it like a dedi?

• 2x Minecraft servers
    • Postgresql server
    • Wireguard
    • Nginx + Haproxy /w multiple bottlepy/sanic apps (8 domain in total)
    • Three crawlers (4chan + patreon + telegram)
    • One file hasher (hammers disk and cpu constantly to compute perceptual hashes and file hashes)
    • Three lsyncd instances to three storage servers
    • Synapse server (for Matrix/riot.im)

Something else i cannot remember.

Right now it's kind of idling... load is usually around 6-8 when the file importer is running

Also yes, you can do nested virt. The hypervisor contabo is using is Proxmox

Thanked by (3)FAT32 vimalware uptime
  • I was going to vote in the 250+ one, but then spotted the word personal. Never really worked it out. If I have a storage server which has some personal data on too, does that count towards the total even if it's use is mixed?

Thanked by (1)FAT32
  • @Mr_Tom said:
    I was going to vote in the 250+ one, but then spotted the word personal. Never really worked it out. If I have a storage server which has some personal data on too, does that count towards the total even if it's use is mixed?

Not sure about you, but all my services that have mixed use I simply consider business assets mainly for tax purposes.

• 1 EUR/month at Aruba

Thanked by (1)kkrajk
  • cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

Too much for a noob.

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• Curious if there was $7 $5 option, how many ultimate LETers LES people would choose this option instead.

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited December 2019

A few months back I have cut down on costs so right now I am only paying for my domain 6€/year and Hostmantis Reseller 25GB 25€/year. Throw in a SmallWeb @Mic-hael for 3GBP smth a year. All in all, if divided into monthly cost it comes to probably less than ~4€/month.

I do have MyW Shared 2GB and Reseller 50GB Lifetime, so no more fees here. Thanks @MikePT :)

I also have a small "sponsored/free" Shared Hosting with Inception Hosting which is also stable (check uptime in my sig). Thanks @AnthonySmith for being so kind ;)

No VPS atm. If I need any, I use m 20$ Lunanode credit I won in a giveaway.

• Solaire said: Not sure about you, but all my services that have mixed use I simply consider business assets

Yeah, that's generally the rule I follow too - the question was more based on the forum poll.

Thanked by (1)Solaire
  • I use OVH VPS SSD1 for 4 domains using VestaCP.

I pay annually using BF deals. 48 CAD per year, so around 4 CAD a month.

Thanked by (2)Ympker vyas

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• I’ve limited my hosting budget to € 25/m and am currently spending a bit over € 20/m, so there’s still room for new idlers.

I used to spend a lot more on hosting. Dedis from Hetzners auction, dedis from Kimsufi and online.net relatively expensive shared hosting because why not. At the highest point it was probably around € 50 per month.

Most of my current VM’s are not really idling. I use them for personal projects, hosting a lot of websites from myself and people I know or just to learn new things on.

• Hosting - About 110.
    Domains - About 70.
    Total = (110 + 70)/12 = About $15/month.

• edited December 2019

Gonna have to make a spread sheet tomorrow night after my virmach madness. Clients paying $150/yr for one of their 2c/2g $20 vps for their wordpress site so it's actually kinda paid for in that sense. Personally idle around 40-50$ month of services, but trying to work out cloudbox setup on my new 5tb hosthatch, we'll see if it's possible with 1c/5gb

Mostly its me playing with diff programs and scripts, messing everything up and reinstalling a different OS to try out

• Current spend is about ~325EUR/Mo. Should be able to cut down to ~220EUR/Mo by Feb 2020, once I cancel a couple of old dedicated servers and consolidate to a single beefy server with Hetzner.

Someone on the other forum asked if the usage was really personal - Yes, it is!
    Storage for a whole bunch of stuff isn't really cheap. That's what a major chunk of money goes towards.
    Besides, I self-host a ton of apps used by the family, maintain device and media backups on hardware that I control, and also contribute to a few projects on the side which require decent amount of resources - so, it all adds up.

I could save a ton by investing in a home lab, but I'd rather have my servers hosted at a DC with reliable power and network connectivity, as I travel a fair bit and cbf to worry about such basic things while on the move.

Thanked by (3)uptime poisson Hetzner_OL
  • Oh, yeah, I do pay 2 bucks every month for Google drive.

I think it's for 100gb or something which has been enough for my family of five.

Thanked by (4)Ympker cybertech uptime Ouji

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• In the past year, I've started getting into home labbing and now have around 70c/140t in a 36U rack, plus some pretty nifty switches. I thought that would decrease my annual spend on VPSes, but somehow it has only increased....

• edited December 2019

Having a vps with ramnode for less than $10/mo

Thanked by (2)WebHostingDomain Nick_A
  • For Personal Use - ironically $ 7 / month :-)

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • @nickelodeon said:
    Having a vps with ramnode for less than $10/mo

To ripoff nickelodeon's live stream?

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider
    edited December 2019

For personal use? I don't even know if any.. uh.. perhaps a few $10/yr domains pending expiry and a MyW lifetime.

Otherwise.. many many dollars.

• MikePTMikePT Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

Ympker said: I do have MyW Shared 2GB and Reseller 50GB Lifetime, so no more fees here. Thanks @MikePT

I'm proud to have clients like yourself, thank you! :)
    I hope you're enjoying your service!

Thanked by (1)flips
  • @nickelodeon said: Having a vps with ramnode for less than $10/mo

:+1:

RamNode: High Performance Cloud VPS
    NYC - LA - ATL - SEA - NL - DDoS Protection

• now I pay 2 EUR/month