ZAP Hosting - 50% OFF Lifetime Minecraft Gameserver - From 50€

YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
edited December 2021 in General

Uptime from the Lifetime Server I purchased in December 2021: Click

When looking at the uptime, keep in mind that a server restart is scheduled weekly.

Most people who host a Minecraft server here will probably run their own VPS, however as a LTD hoarder, I didn't want to pass this up.

ZAP-Hosting is putting their Lifetime Minecraft Server on sale again. You currently get 50% OFF with code "Lifetime2021". ZAP-Hosting is a long established German Gameserver Company and, among other games, offers Minecraft servers. Minecraft is currently the only game where they offer lifetime gameservers and while they are not known to be the best gameserver company out there, I would say they are solid enough.
Previously, I hosted the Minecraft Server for the gf and myself for around 15€/year at Aquatis.Host but will now move that one to ZAP-Hosting. Picked up the cheapest option with 2GB RAM and PaperSpigot. Runs fine on 1GB on Aquatis, so 2GB should even boost it a little. There are also various locations you can choose from.

More RAM can be still purchased AFTER you bought the product (for a one-time fee). More Modpacks can also be added for 30€ each iirc. You can (probably) also just upload the jar yourself afaik. For me, PaperSpigot is enough.

Some screenshots:

With 50% OFF comes to 50€.

Thanked by (1)Ganonk

Comments

• Do we trust LTDs?

Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited December 2021

@AaronSS said:
    Do we trust LTDs?

They are in business since at least 2010. I know their name since I started hosting Minecraft Servers as a kid many years back. They are established long enough for me to trust them with 50€.

Other LTDs I have:
    Keepsolid VPN (all good)
    Keepsolid SmartDNS (all good)
    Getflix SmartDNS (all good)
    FastestVPN (all good)
    Windscribe VPN (all good)
    MyW @MikePT (all good)
    GlorifyApp (all good)
    ...and more

Lifetime Deals are always a bit of a gamble, but at this point I can see Zap-Hosting being around long enough to make this purchase worth it.

Edit with first impressions: First experience with support was good. They have Live Chat support and I quickly got to 2nd level Support who solved my issue within minutes :) Will post about server performance later.

They also seem to have a Discord (with support channels) that is quite active :)

Germany location seems to be on ASN 30823.

The Gameserver Panel is very intuitive and easy to use.

Thanked by (1)ehab
  • Thanks!

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • edited December 2021

Mhmm.. have given it a try but got a MC server at port 455678. Is it probably worth getting a dedi IP? Also, do they support IPv6 (for BungeeCord)?
    E5-2640v2 isn't a beast.. :joy: but after two years it should be worth it (even though the CPU is even more degraded then).

Thanked by (1)Ympker
    edited December 2021

@webcraft said:
    Mhmm.. have given it a try but got a MC server at port 455678. Is it probably worth getting a dedi IP? Also, do they support IPv6 (for BungeeCord)?
    E5-2640v2 isn't a beast.. :joy: but after two years it should be worth it (even though the CPU is even more degraded then).

I got port 2072 :D Some may have gotten a Dedicated IP for that reason and because you have access to the DDOS Manager in FFM (if you have a dedicated IP). For me it doesn't really matter since we are only 2 ppl playing. If it was a server for many ppl, standard port may be more convenient. The CPU may be a bit old, but good enough. You can always upgrade to the "premium CPU" and DDR4/M2 but wasn't worth it for me.

On another note: E5-26xx seems to be a very popular CPU for MC hosts. My previous host also used E5-26xx.

Just judging by pricing, often it might even be worth it after 1 year. My previous host (Aquatis.host) was really cheap compared to the big players (15$/year for 1GB RAM), but Nitrado, ZAP monthly, G-Portal, Gameservers.com etc often charge you almost 40-50€ in a year for that 2GB RAM spec. ExtraVM also charges about 6$/mo for their 2GB RAM Minecraft server.

• It's shame it costs literally the double of the price to get it on my country.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
    edited December 2021

@Ouji said:
    It's shame it costs literally the double of the price to get it on my country.

Brazil? I agree that double the price is steep. I can imagine, however, that for ZAP it is much "easier" and/or more affordable to keep up a lifetime server in, say, Germany than very remote countries like Brazil. Then again, they offer cheaper ones in Singapore and Australia..still maybe there are other factors in Brazil like energy costs or similar that make it more expensive to keep running. Could also be the lack of people wanting a server in Brazil, thus fewer clients need to finance the lifetime server. We will probably never know.. Anything with a managable ping to your country that is cheaper? Perhaps go for that one? Or get a monthly server, check the ping and then opt for what fits best.

• AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider

I don't really trust hosts that offer "lifetime" services, but if it lasts for at least a couple of years, then it may be worth it

Thanked by (1)Ympker

I am a representative of Advin Servers

@Advin said:
    I don't really trust hosts that offer "lifetime" services, but if it lasts for at least a couple of years, then it may be worth it

I, too, try to pick providers that are well established when looking for lifetime deals. ZAP Hosting exists since at least 2010, Keepsolid VPN since around 2013(?!), Ivacy VPN since 2009ish, MyW from Mike since 2015 (iirc), Koofr Storage also has been around for a good while.

• @webcraft said:

Not sure if you're aware, but Minecraft supports setting up SRV records (DNS), so you can point minecraft.example.com => 127.0.0.1:45678.
    I usually set an SRV record up regardless if I'm playing with friends, as I don't have to tell everyone to update their addresses and just have to update it in one place.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • RadiRadi Hosting ProviderOG
    edited December 2021

What mod should I get for cross-platform gameplay? Bedrock? I don't have much experience with managing Minecraft servers, but this would be fun.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Get some hosting at https://drserver.net .

edited December 2021

@Radi said:
    What mod should I get for cross-platform gameplay? Bedrock? I don't have much experience with managing Minecraft servers, but this would be fun.

This is what it says about the Bedrock edition: https://zap-hosting.com/en/minecraft-bedrock-edition-server-hosting/

I assume you can only join that one if you bought Minecraft on a mobile device or the Microsoft Desktop verison (not the Java)? Or am I wrong here? Not too sure, but it seems to be what you are looking for.

If you are unsure, best to ask live chat or pop a ticket :) Live Chat is quick to help and avg ticket reply time is apparently 3 minutes,

• LatonLaton OGContent Writer

@Radi said:

From what I heard GeyserMC is quite a good plugin for cross-platform for PS4, Xbox and Nintendo. But I think the server must be Java Edition only.

Link: https://geysermc.org/

Thanked by (1)Ympker

I want to be able to play on PC and on Mobile. :smile:

Thanked by (1)Ympker

• LatonLaton OGContent Writer
    edited December 2021

@Radi said:

The plugin covers both of them also. It is just really for playing on the same world.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • edited December 2021

@Radi said:

It'll be simplest to just do the official bedrock dedicated server, their Minecraft: Bedrock plan, as long as you don't mind playing bedrock on PC. You don't have to deal with any 3rd party stuff to get java and bedrock working together, there are bedrock clients on both.

Thanked by (2)Ympker AaronSS

Added an UptimeRobot link to the OP in case that is of interest to some. Keep in mind the server was purchased around mid-ish of December 2021 and I have scheduled a weekly restart which will, ofc, affect uptime.

• For price ratio, yes this server (looking at cpu) can be good enough to handle 5-10 players. With additional plugins it can be even less if we care about stability.
    For MC the best choice are servers with Ryzen 3xxx + and Intel 9th+. Otherwise you will often see tps going down from 20TPS.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@TeYroX said:
    For price ratio, yes this server (looking at cpu) can be good enough to handle 5-10 players. With additional plugins it can be even less if we care about stability.
    For MC the best choice are servers with Ryzen 3xxx + and Intel 9th+. Otherwise you will often see tps going down from 20TPS.

I just needed one for 2 people, so it's all good :) That being said, my old Minecraft Host also used the E5-26xx CPU line and while I just needed two slots, on their discord there were also people hosting servers with more players with them without complaining about lags. Of course, the E5 CPU isn't the best anymore, but it works fine. If you want better CPU you could always pay double the price and opt for the DDR4, M2 SSD and higher CPU "Premium" plan they offer. Wasn't worth double the cost for me, though.

• @Ympker said:

@Ouji said:

Brazil? I agree that double the price is steep. I can imagine, however, that for ZAP it is much "easier" and/or more affordable to keep up a lifetime server in, say, Germany than very remote countries like Brazil. Then again, they offer cheaper ones in Singapore and Australia..still maybe there are other factors in Brazil like energy costs or similar that make it more expensive to keep running. Could also be the lack of people wanting a server in Brazil, thus fewer clients need to finance the lifetime server. We will probably never know.. Anything with a managable ping to your country that is cheaper? Perhaps go for that one? Or get a monthly server, check the ping and then opt for what fits best.

Yeah. I think mostly infrastructure is very expensive around here and they use good network and good datacenters, which also increase the price. I was expecting it to be higher, not so much higher though. I'm actually hosting a server on my own hardware for my cousin, but would be good to get something managed so I don't need to bother with uptime or updates :P

Thanked by (1)Ympker
    edited December 2021

@Ouji said:

@Ympker said:

@Ouji said:

Yeah. I think mostly infrastructure is very expensive around here and they use good network and good datacenters, which also increase the price. I was expecting it to be higher, not so much higher though. I'm actually hosting a server on my own hardware for my cousin, but would be good to get something managed so I don't need to bother with uptime or updates :P

Yeah, that definitely makes sense. I also thought about hosting the Minecraft server the gf and myself are playing on on a lifetime dedi I won, but management and securing it can be a pita, so I opted for the ZAP offer (granted a bit cheaper than for your location) :)

Now, while I still can see that double the price would hurt, even 100€ (in case of the cheapest config) would be something I would consider "cheap" for a Minecraft lifetime server, given that most known Minecraft hosts probably would charge 3-5€/mo (not sure how much they charge in Brazil?). Then again, if you need a bigger server, it will cost quite a bit more money, so I understand if that's not really enticing. How's the ping to other locations?

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

Just be sure to crunch the math vs expected usage.

If you just play with friends on a Saturday occasionally on demand VM will make a lot more sense. As a reference point even at 50% discount that's like 2,000 hours of Azure time - give or take a lot specs depending. More hassle to set it up though.

I personally went with selfhosted & firewall IP whitelist so that I don't need to worry about security too much

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@havoc said:
    Just be sure to crunch the math vs expected usage.

If you just play with friends on a Saturday occasionally on demand VM will make a lot more sense. As a reference point even at 50% discount that's like 2,000 hours of Azure time - give or take a lot specs depending. More hassle to set it up though.

I personally went with selfhosted & firewall IP whitelist so that I don't need to worry about security too much

An on-demand VM with DO/Vultr etc certainly would be another valid and very affordable option for 2 players. I can imagine that bigger servers with at least 15-20+ ppl would need their server to run 24/7 so there the lifetime server would be a good alternative. I also can think of streamers buying a lifetime Minecraft server for their Twitch community to play on without worrying about recurring fees. For me, it's just peace of mind and easy management/convenience that made me opt for the LTD. Live Chat was even available yesterday on Christmas day with a slightly slower response time than usually (5 mins; this is still premium).

• @Ympker said: eah, that definitely makes sense. I also thought about hosting the Minecraft server the gf and myself are playing on on a lifetime dedi I won, but management and securing it can be a pita, so I opted for the ZAP offer (granted a bit cheaper than for your location)

Now, while I still can see that double the price would hurt, even 100€ (in case of the cheapest config) would be something I would consider "cheap" for a Minecraft lifetime server, given that most known Minecraft hosts probably would charge 3-5€/mo (not sure how much they charge in Brazil?). Then again, if you need a bigger server, it will cost quite a bit more money, so I understand if that's not really enticing. How's the ping to other locations?

Should be about 150ms, which is not bad (I've played with 190 when I had to play with my cousin whilst he was living on Asia), but still, I can't justify myself spending that much (as the exchange rates here are awful) for something so far away. I already host stuff at home and is mostly gated behind my router, so unless it was here, it doesn't justify the investment, unfortunately.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@Ouji said:

@Ympker said: eah, that definitely makes sense. I also thought about hosting the Minecraft server the gf and myself are playing on on a lifetime dedi I won, but management and securing it can be a pita, so I opted for the ZAP offer (granted a bit cheaper than for your location)

Should be about 150ms, which is not bad (I've played with 190 when I had to play with my cousin whilst he was living on Asia), but still, I can't justify myself spending that much (as the exchange rates here are awful) for something so far away. I already host stuff at home and is mostly gated behind my router, so unless it was here, it doesn't justify the investment, unfortunately.

Ouch, Brazil to Asia also sounds like a "fun" route for multiplayer. Yeah, totally get that you would skip this deal then. Maybe they'll change it in the future ;)

Thanked by (1)Ouji
    edited December 2021

Got a Bedrock server, looks fun and promising. I will play around to learn it and report back with the results. Overall, I am happy for the few hours I had it until now.

Thought to do GeyserMC, but decided to skip on it due to the limitations mentioned on this page: https://github.com/GeyserMC/Geyser/wiki/Current-Limitations . Perhaps Bedrock won't have them. We will see.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@Radi said:
    Got a Bedrock server, looks fun and promising. I will play around to learn it and report back with the results. Overall, I am happy for the few hours I had it until now.

Thought to do GeyserMC, but decided to skip on it due to the limitations mentioned on this page: https://github.com/GeyserMC/Geyser/wiki/Current-Limitations . Perhaps Bedrock won't have them. We will see.

Happy to hear :) The gf and me are also very happy with the Paper Spigot server as of now. Updated to version 1.18.1 without (much) problems the other day. I got two hours downtime on uptime robot because the server somehow got stuck when reinstalling/upgrading and I didn't notice. When I contacted support, though, they just told me to initiate the upgrade again and it worked :P

Regarding your choice, I think you can't go wrong with Bedrock. It seems to me like this is the "original" version meant for cross-plattform play, whereas GeyserMC is just a "plugin/mod" to allow Java Players and other plattforms to somehow join together (like a bridge).

• Had a lifetime server from them since 2017 so definitely not a Summer host. Still works fine, I just like having a standby server to occasionally play with friends.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
    edited March 2022

ZAP-Hosting was recently breached (check their official website/your email).
    As compensation each client received an email with a 20€ voucher that can be redeemed in the ZAP Hosting client area to add to your balance ("cashbox"). The voucher should be in your mail, if not use:

wekeepworkingforyoursafety

You could use the voucher to upgrade your lifetime server with them. For example adding 1 GB RAM shows costs as 14€ish. So with the 20€ voucher you can upgrade 1 more GB of RAM for free (or get a discount on any other upgrades) :)

@Spirit @Ouji @Radi

• armandorgarmandorg Services Provider
    edited March 2022

While i have no experience with ZAP Hosting, i have seen something like this being used to grab some fast cash.

They will make a good lifetime promo and later suspend your account & service with the reason 'Violation of service', can't remember the name of one game hosting company which did this... but yea!

This one might be 100% legit though, just a heads up!

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Web Design Agency - Custom Web Designs
    WHMCS.design - WHMCS Themes | Blesta.shop - Blesta Themes