LowEndSpirit Is Not a For-Profit Site and Will Never Be Pay-to-Play

Comments

• @Lampard said:

welcome ... over here you can get a free neck massage or a soap.

• @ehab said:

@Lampard said:

Ssshhhh! Won't you spoil it yet?

Thanked by (2)ehab Hetzner_OL
  • mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@ehab said:

@Lampard said:

One make you soft, the other hard.

Thanked by (2)ehab notpeople249

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• terrahostterrahost Hosting ProviderOG

Donated :)

Thanked by (5)mikho Ganonk ehab Mason ialexpw
  • Not a provider nor an LES regular (yet) but this kind of passion is how to get my cash, not anything else.

Communities should be built on passion, not profit.

• Community driven 👍🏼

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG

Wonder how many donations Mason has gotten for LES in the past 24 hours compared to Jon's $200/y dedmand.

ExtraVM - High RAM Specials
    Yours truly.

• edited March 2022

Wow, I have been lurking once and a while (for years) but glad to finally be registered. It's amazing what you have done with such little resources and out of your own pocket. I totally regret now not upping my stats by having an account here but hopefully that will improve. Looking forward to reading, learning and of course inputting where I can!

Thanked by (4)Chievo mikho Mason ehab

RCLOUDSYSTEMS - EmailBackup and EmailSync are powerful email management and migration utilities for an unbeatable price!

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@MikeA said:
    Wonder how many donations Mason has gotten for LES in the past 24 hours compared to Jon's $200/y dedmand.

He is still counting ……

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

@mikho said:

@MikeA said:

He is still counting ……

Dusting off the abacus, will post the total number of donations and donation total soon :) has been quite unexpected to say the least

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

@Jord said:

@MichaelCee said:
    Bunch of weirdos /they/ are. Wish I could delete my LET account altogether.

You can, just say under GDPR and they push the button 😂 stick the ticket in and heck I’ll even do it for you. DM me first before you send the ticket so I can be on to grab it.

Nah, I’m locked out with a random@mydomain email at the mo. Cheers tho, will do when I figure it out.

P.S my “they” does not refer to 🐼 but 👨

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

Morning guys! MetalVPS just sent a low, low, low, low end donation to @Mason! We were able to use Paypal Friends and Family so that the full amount of our donation went to Mason.

Please note DonorBox pricing. Should DonorBox use a .com domain instead of its present .org domain?

Thanked by (3)MichaelCee mikho Mason

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG
    edited March 2022

Made a small lowly donation to LES. I'd suggest add the donation link to footer or somewhere in sidebar.
    Should this place help one save $$ , will be happy donating to community.
    I know a non-hosting related forum, such 'donation model' works for them.
    Also +1 for public monthly cost statistics & similar. this will give users transparency & more trust.

Thanked by (2)mikho Mason

@Not_Oles said:
    Morning guys! MetalVPS just sent a low, low, low, low end donation to @Mason! We were able to use Paypal Friends and Family so that the full amount of our donation went to Mason.

Appreciate it, good sir! <3

Please note DonorBox pricing. Should DonorBox use a .com domain instead of its present .org domain?

Not sure I understand the .com vs .org issue. Is it because they're making money (1.5%) from people using their platform? While direct payments are indeed the best bang for the buck, Donorbox has a lot of features that make it worth it in my opinion -- i.e. multiple payment options in one place (Stripe, PayPal, ACH), better ability to track donations and where they come from, ability for recurring donations, website integration (widgets and such), monthly goal trackers, etc. I can see us using a lot of these features moving forward.

• lentrolentro Hosting Provider
    edited March 2022

Offered jbiloh a donation instead:

Hi Jon,

I'm wondering, can I make a one-time personal donation as a show of support and then switch to a host rep account? An interview sounds tempting, but it's a bit premature. We're trying to raise a seed or accelerator round from some pretty well-known investors for their reputation that'd close in a few months, assuming it works out. We are still too young. When the time comes, I'd love to author some guest posts on LEB or something like that, but that's a bit too far out in the future.

I would love to stay on the community, but a recurring $200/year price is a bit high for my company for a forum that we won't actively make sales from. That being said, I want to show appreciation for you running the forum here and for all I've benefited personally from it, so I hope [amount] helps a bit :)

Thanks!
    Jonathan

Response (won't include the full thing out of privacy), I was just surprised he wants to charge money and doesn't want LET to be a donations-based / community thing. Seems like it's going to become a business and not a community.

We looked at the option of accepting donations but morally and ethically it made me uncomfortable because we are a commercial entity. That's why after quite a bit of internal discussion it was decided to ask providers, the ones who benefit most from LEB/LET, to contribute. Granted the roll out could have been better no question about it.

Update: Just donated $25 to LES.

In about 18 hours since posting the donation link, we've amassed $705.22 through Donorbox!!

Including the 3 donations that went through Paypal directly, $742.22 in donations have been racked up over the past month or so. I don't have words right now to express how appreciative I am! This will be put to good use over the coming months covering server/subscription costs and possibly funding some small development efforts to improve the user experience here (no YouTube videos or double bandwidth giveaways, I promise). We'll be reviewing past feedback threads and make a prioritized list of what we'd like get done and keep everyone updated on any progress/milestones :)

Thanks again, all! <3

• @Mason said:

In about 18 hours since posting the donation link, we've amassed $705.22 through Donorbox!!

Including the 3 donations that went through Paypal directly, $742.22 in donations have been racked up over the past month or so. I don't have words right now to express how appreciative I am! This will be put to good use over the coming months covering server/subscription costs and possibly funding some small development efforts to improve the user experience here (no YouTube videos or double bandwidth giveaways, I promise). We'll be reviewing past feedback threads and make a prioritized list of what we'd like get done and keep everyone updated on any progress/milestones :)

Thanks again, all! <3

Time to scale up the cluster, so we can match LET.

Thanked by (3)Chievo Mason pikachu

@Neoon said:

@Mason said:

Thanks again, all! <3

Time to scale up the cluster, so we can match LET.

Already discussed with @mikho. Setting up the cluster on dual AX101's as we speak (/s)

• Well done folks :+1:

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

@Mason said: Not sure I understand the .com vs .org issue.

Don't mean to make a big deal out of it. It might just be me! :) I thought .org was for non-profits. When I followed the donation link I didn't notice anything about fees on the landing page. I thought that there would be no fee. But, since I'm a suspicious guy, I decided to look around. On the DonorBox home page there was a link to Pricing. Wow! I was so disappointed that I forgot to check whether they are a non-profit or not. :) Maybe they are!

• @Not_Oles said:

@Mason said: Not sure I understand the .com vs .org issue.

Don't mean to make a big deal out of it. It might just be me! :) I thought .org was for non-profits. When I followed the donation link I didn't notice anything about fees on the landing page. I thought that there would be no fee. But, since I'm a suspicious guy, I decided to look around. On the DonorBox home page there was a link to Pricing. Wow! I was so disappointed that I forgot to check whether they are a non-profit or not. :) Maybe they are!

I don't think .org was ever intended to be just for non-profits, just... "organizations" in general. It just ended up being commonly used by non-profits.

Apparently though, you can make it so your donors cover the processing fee. I guess it has to be enabled, as I can't see that option right now during the donation process.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
    edited March 2022

Okay, so 13 donations for a total of $742.22. Average donation might be $57.09.

For me the hardest thing about donating was figuring out the basis on which to calculate the amount to donate.

My initial thought was $100, but that was just the number which popped into my mind.

After I thought awhile, I decided that, if monthly costs were about $30 and 30 members donated $1, the goal would be reached. So I donated $12, which was a monthly amount of $1, annualized.

Even though donations already exceed current monthly expenses, I hope people who are willing to donate would continue to do so. It would be good to get a sense of how many of our members actually are able and willing to send cents donate.

Once @Mason and @mikho decide what they want to do, if they put up a budget, that might be helpful in deciding how much to donate. ✅

Friendly greetings! :)

@Not_Oles said:
    Okay, so 13 donations for a total of $742.22. Average donation might be $57.09.

Aye, I wouldn't draw too many conclusions based solely on the numbers above. The median donation is $12 and only two individuals donated above the average, so the distribution is pretty skewed.

Any amount offered is much appreciated and more than I was expecting to begin with :)

Thanked by (1)Ironia

• edited March 2022

@Mason said:
    Any amount offered is much appreciated and more than I was expecting to begin with :)

Aaah that's a good attitude to get about this. After the post wondering how the donations will stack up to subscriptions, I wasn't sure what metric of success there would be.

We know the goal at LET is a 30% adoption rate at $100/6 months, but I'm not sure if we have the total provider count to complete that calculation. And even if I could calculate that target, I'm not sure it's a fair comparison when the funding models are so different. Plus there's the issue of different underlying expenses... Even if both sides have overlapping userbases, this is really comparing apples to oranges.

But I guess just being grateful for anything at all means you'll always win. Clever clever :)

• @Ironia said: We know the goal at LET is a 30% adoption rate at $100/6 months

I thought it was actually 70% adoption rate (30% switching to non-paid status), which I don't think is realistic.

Thanked by (2)Ironia yoursunny
  • @cmeerw said:

@Ironia said: We know the goal at LET is a 30% adoption rate at $100/6 months

I thought it was actually 70% adoption rate (30% switching to non-paid status), which I don't think is realistic.

I don't remember exactly what they said, but I'm just going to assume you're correct because it would make sense to try to pick a number such that the majority of providers stay providers.

... But also that would make their expected income over twice as much when fully calculated out. Glad I don't have the actual number or that might spook me.

• in an amusing (personal) twist, if not for the kerfuffle going over yonder, i'd maybe never have realized that ownership changed here (i'd mostly avoided this forum cuz reasons).

I ain’t reading all that, but I’m happy for you though. Or sorry that happened.

• @ehab said:

@Lampard said:

How about both?

Thanked by (1)ehab
  • KermEdKermEd OG
    edited March 2022

I love this berry berry much

Non intrusive ads aren’t bad (LES has none) but profiting off hosts to let them post a thread is just sad.

Thanked by (1)Ganonk
  • @zed said:
    in an amusing (personal) twist, if not for the kerfuffle going over yonder, i'd maybe never have realized that ownership changed here (i'd mostly avoided this forum cuz reasons).

Me too, to be honest. It was a very positive surprise.