News from the Gutter ...

Comments

• some of the invoices are related to FastSpring

the paypal e-mail seems to be [email protected]

Thanked by (1)pepa65
  • InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

Then I have to conclude that people just need to really scrutinize their emails and the payment process they went through, the information must be there.

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• https://fastspring.com/risk-management-and-compliance/

How is risk management and compliance different with FastSpring?
    As your merchant of record, FastSpring is responsible for processing credit card and debit transactions on your behalf. This includes compliance with PCI-DSS standards and other payment laws and regulations while also managing refund requests and chargebacks. When you partner with FastSpring, you’re protected so you can focus on the rest of your business.

HS4LIFE (+ (* 3 4) (* 5 6))

• tgltgl OG
    edited December 2019

the scammer seems to have been trying to cover his tracks, this guy is a professional, payment were not made directly to the company but to this payment processing proxy, seems to me like fraud across states, which would make it an FBI matter

seems ColonCrossing are the victims here, from all the companies in the world, this scammer decided to pick their company to run the operation, they were contacted by 84 people but they did not notice it was the same guy, its called the colon effect

Thanked by (1)vimalware
  • @tgl said:
    the scammer seems to have been trying to cover his tracks, this guy is a professional, payment were not made directly to the company but to this payment processing proxy, seems to me like fraud across states, which would make it an FBI matter

seems ColonCrossing are the victims here, from all the companies in the world, this scammer decided to pick their company to run the operation, they were contacted by 84 people but they did not notice it was the same guy, its called the colon effect

84 times is called near fatal diarrhoea. Or could lead to a permanent damage to colon.

• tgltgl OG
    edited December 2019

umaxhosting seems to be the one that breaks the pattern, they also have a phone listed (657) 234-5234, domain was registered at namecheap not godaddy also it seems the paypal payments were direct to it, not through fastspring

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    I just checked my payment I made to virtualizor via 2checkout.

:confused:

Solaire said: I just checked my payment I made to virtualizor via 2checkout.

check your email.

Thanked by (2)Solaire pepa65

• SolaireSolaire OG
    edited December 2019

AnthonySmith said: check your email.

Ah, sure, but that's only a name still. And it doesn't show up at your statement.

Anyway, did a minute of Googling and stumbled upon this: https://fastspring.com/question-a-charge/

@isunbejo mind submitting that form to see what happens?

Thanked by (1)pepa65

Solaire said: Ah, sure, but that's only a name still. And it doesn't show up at your statement.

yes but that is what I was looking for because surely any payment gateway is going to have to reveal certain information about who you are paying, I mean for example Iran?

Perhaps someone in the USA can tell me the implications for a business if they suddenly found out they have been paying a company in Iran for professional business services?

Just an example but i cant imagine it is fully legal for a company to essentially provide a service to avoid trade sanctions.

• I just submitted that FastSpring Question form for my payment to Stronghosting.net and they promptly emailed me that FastSpring bill mail and another email to say they received payment -- both seemingly from StrongHosting.

• @pepa65 said:
    I just submitted that FastSpring Question form for my payment to Stronghosting.net and they promptly emailed me that FastSpring bill mail and another email to say they received payment -- both seemingly from StrongHosting.

you should try to contact them providing the LET link and the zdnet article, mentioning you consider their system was used to scam people and that they should investigate

• @Solaire said:
    Anyway, did a minute of Googling and stumbled upon this: https://fastspring.com/question-a-charge/

@isunbejo mind submitting that form to see what happens?

and then yes the same as like @pepa65 no solution from FastSpring :)

Refund Policy

When we get a refund request from a customer, we usually direct the request to your support contact so that you may handle it. The only time that we refund an order without consulting you is when a customer who has purchased with a credit card has contacted us about a fraudulent charge. In this case, the order is refunded to prevent a chargeback. Credit cards refunds can generally be done up to six months after an order, but PayPal has a 90 day refund limit. The refund fee is 3.5% of the order total.

Chargebacks

Chargebacks are different than refunds. A chargeback is the return of funds to a consumer, forcibly initiated by the consumer's issuing bank. The customer signs an affidavit with their credit card provider claiming they did not make the purchase. The only way a merchant can dispute this claim is to provide trackable shipping to the customer's address. Since most orders are only digital, we typically cannot provide this information, and the issuing bank decides in favor of the customer.

https://support.fastspring.com/hc/en-us/articles/207436716-Order-Refund-Policy-Chargebacks-and-Return-Processing

Thanked by (1)uptime

@isunbejo I would like them to the zdnet article, say you have been victim of a scam to take money for service with no intention of providing it which is fraud.

and to be honest, I would have filed a charge back by now anyway, even if it was £1

Thanked by (3)isunbejo vpsgeek uptime

• @AnthonySmith said:
    @isunbejo I would like them to the zdnet article, say you have been victim of a scam to take money for service with no intention of providing it which is fraud.

and to be honest, I would have filed a charge back by now anyway, even if it was £1

Good idea Sir.

Give lessons to scammers to give up :)

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG

So all those hosts already closed & their service shut down?

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • uptimeuptime OG
    edited December 2019

@Abdullah - apparently the "hosts" (actually or supposedly a single CC customer ... aka "former client" - lol!) are now done, but the services will remain online for another week or so as CC sees fit to extend some stay of execution. Make of that what you will ...

@Nick said:

I was advised to forward this along:

ColoCrossing learned over the weekend that a former client notified his customers that he was shutting down their service today, Monday, December 9. ColoCrossing had provided dedicated servers which were used to host this client’s content, and the content of this client’s customers. To help customers impacted by this former client, ColoCrossing is keeping the servers active for the next ten days so impacted sites can move their data to other providers. We will provide more information as it is available.

Thanked by (2)Abdullah pepa65

• AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG
    edited December 2019

@Nick said:

I was advised to forward this along:

ColoCrossing learned over the weekend that a former client notified his customers that he was shutting down their service today, Monday, December 9. ColoCrossing had provided dedicated servers which were used to host this client’s content, and the content of this client’s customers. To help customers impacted by this former client, ColoCrossing is keeping the servers active for the next ten days so impacted sites can move their data to other providers. We will provide more information as it is available.

okay. just needed to verify as my sites are still online. Checked all this today..will move them. Thanks

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • uptimeuptime OG
    edited December 2019

The canary image that may or may not be displayed directly above is served from Hosting73 (thanks @dahartigan) - and of course also cached by browser and possibly cloudflare (?) etc ... but if you don't see the tweety bird sippin' lean any more, then that party is surely over.

:scream: the end is nigh! :scream:

• I mainly lurk over at LET - basically when I'm looking for some cheap service I don't expect to last long. I've missed out on a lot of things, I think. Like, does ColoCrossing own LET/LEB now-a-days or what?

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek
  • uptimeuptime OG
    edited December 2019

@rockinmusicgv said:
    does ColoCrossing own LET/LEB now-a-days or what?

there are some rumours to that effect, yes. But I don't believe any of it. Really just seems like yet another dastardly plot to divide and confuse us! I blame @Francisco ... :trollface:

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek

• they own the hardware, not the people

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek
  • Know Your Customer (KYC) and money transmission regulations in the US mean Fastspring has to know where the money is going or they can be in big trouble. They should be filing SAR's (suspicious activity reports) with the US Treasury about those payments by now.

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • @willie said:
    Know Your Customer (KYC) and money transmission regulations in the US mean Fastspring has to know where the money is going or they can be in big trouble. They should be filing SAR's (suspicious activity reports) with the US Treasury about those payments by now.

I told the same to CC, hopefully they will :)

• uptimeuptime OG
    edited December 2019

for what it's worth (probably not much, but) https://krebsonsecurity.com/tag/fastspring/ - just an article from 2010 about ... something something botnet monetization system trying to use Fastspring (?)

I imagine they would prefer not to get dragged into too much messy business - but if they're taking a cut of it to serve as a cutout, well ... Maybe they've got some explaining to do.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• williewillie OG
    edited December 2019

tgl said: I told the same to CC, hopefully they will

SARs are something financial service businesses (FSB's, like banks, payment service, etc) have to deal with. CC is not an FSB and the regulations don't apply to them. I don't know if they are allowed to file SARs but either way they are not required to. Fastspring is almost certainly required to file them.

Thanked by (1)pepa65
  • @willie said:

tgl said: I told the same to CC, hopefully they will

SARs are something financial service businesses (FSB's, like banks, payment service, etc) have to deal with. CC is not an FSB and the regulations don't apply to them. I don't know if they are allowed to file SARs but either way they are not required to. Fastspring is almost certainly required to file them.

ok i understand, not from the US so I wouldn't know

• vpsgeekvpsgeek OG
    edited December 2019
    Thanked by (1)uptime

Recommend: SmallWeb|BuyVM|Linode|RamNode

• DanielDaniel OG
    edited December 2019

vpsgeek said: Have a look how some hosts are promoting the gutter

A lot of people outside of these forums and LowEndTalk still don't know that LowEndBox is bad. Some people have memories of using LowEndBox many years ago before it was owned by ColoCrossing, and still think it's good today, as the site still looks basically the same. I see several people across various forums/sites promoting LEB without knowing it's bad - not just WHT, but Whirlpool (Australian forum), Reddit, Twitter, Discord, and lots of others.

• pepa65pepa65 OG
    edited December 2019

AnthonySmith said: I would have filed a charge back by now anyway

Yes, but I am almost 100% sure that FastSpring, being a payment processor, won't handle chargebacks, so you will need to contact Paypal or your creditcard company.