What are your hosting market predictions for 2020?

2»

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 OGServices Provider

@poisson said:

@walle said:

@evnix said:
    From a customer/developer perspective, I would like to see these in the low-end providers as well,

• Managed Databases (Better availability, Backups etc). This is the number one pain point and Providers like Scaleway and DigitalOcean are already tapping into it quite nicely.
    • Managed Load-balancers (Same as above)
    • More Docker/Kubernetes support (Instead of having to install docker on a vps)

I agree. As a developer that is using/creating Docker for basically everything, my server I use for hosting my projects is basically a minimal OS with only firewall and Docker installed. Maintaining the host OS is something I'm not interested in to do, I want to go serverless without the limitations of traditional shared hosting. What DigitalOcean and Scaleway have shown us is just the beginning (or at lest I hope so).

This looks like a very interesting model that can change the industry quite a bit.

From a provider perspective, it will probably mostly translate to "lots of containers that never get security updates and thus get hacked, because the customer wrongly believes that wrapping it in a container makes system administration unnecessary". I'm not optimistic.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@joepie91 said:
    From a provider perspective, it will probably mostly translate to "lots of containers that never get security updates and thus get hacked, because the customer wrongly believes that wrapping it in a container makes system administration unnecessary". I'm not optimistic.

As occurs daily with OpenVZ, LXC, and even KVM to some degree. Stupid is as stupid does.

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• joepie91joepie91 OGServices Provider

@WSS said:

@joepie91 said:

As occurs daily with OpenVZ, LXC, and even KVM to some degree. Stupid is as stupid does.

Sure, except worse. Because at least with normal VMs and OpenVZ, people have the idea that they're renting and managing a server. Whereas a ton of people view Docker as a magical application deployment platform that does everything for them.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@joepie91 said:
    Sure, except worse. Because at least with normal VMs and OpenVZ, people have the idea that they're renting and managing a server. Whereas a ton of people view Docker as a magical application deployment platform that does everything for them.

Docker is what happens when application developers think they know more than administrators.

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• Developer: haha Foiled them pesky gatekeeping administrators!

https://circleci.com/blog/its-the-future/

Old Ops guy : you done played yourself kiddo. ?

Thanked by (3)WSS uptime funkywizard
  • AMD data center market share increase.

RamNode: High Performance Cloud VPS
    NYC - LA - ATL - SEA - NL - DDoS Protection

• Lots of smaller hosts are going to go out of business and only the ones that are trying to evolve with the times will prevail. You will still have your fly by night hosts that run unbelievable promos that people inevitably buy because noone can resist a deal that's too good to be true.

• ulayerulayer Hosting ProviderOG

Fran's predictions are pretty accurate I'd say, along with what other people have said here.. We've been seeing the same trend of companies screwing everyone over with their licensing and getting bought out by VC vultures. Sadly, it seems a lot of companies don't have any integrity and are willing to sell out very easily. I've been raging for quite a while now about immoral companies.

Universal Layer LLC, a privacy conscious hosting provider
    Check us out @ ulayer.net / twitter.com/ulayer_net

• @ulayer said:
    Fran's predictions are pretty accurate I'd say, along with what other people have said here.. We've been seeing the same trend of companies screwing everyone over with their licensing and getting bought out by VC vultures. Sadly, it seems a lot of companies don't have any integrity and are willing to sell out very easily. I've been raging for quite a while now about immoral companies.

I think amoral is more accurate. Morals are not included in their model of business; it is just dollars and cents.

Thanked by (1)ulayer

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

I predict @Francisco will post an LES Exclusive offer on this very forum in 2020.

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• edited December 2019

My hosting market prediction of 2020 is by the book, prophecy of @deank.

It's all kubernetes and k8c and aws and azure and cloud and buzzwords monopolies now.

"I want to believe in servers, i truly do, but i need to see one to believe."
    "I once saw a server, but might have been a yeti instead."
    Them poor dev kids on e-scooters don't know what a server is.
    Yes, servers are a make belief, just like Santa Claus, but hush ssh root@...

"Backend? We'll put it on the cloud. Angular ftw."
    "Oh, you work in C/C++, how did they let you out of the asulym?"
    It's all just levels of abstraction upon levels of abstraction.

But i don't blame them.
    People don't want to take responsibility over people or themselves or anything else in that matter, in general.
    Now "employers" contract businesses to find them temporary freelance workers for their half assed outsorced projects...
    No health, no social benefits, it's easier this way.
    Quantity over quality. No more in-house work.
    Long Term Support, on random basis.

The sad part is, some peple are proud of this, misery and mental gymnastics themselves into thinking it's good.
    Maybe there is more dignity in scrubbing toilets or sucking dick on the streets, than doing IT.

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • I predict the birth of Potassium brigade led by @J-ski.

Thanked by (2)Janevski poisson

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• funkywizardfunkywizard Hosting ProviderOG
    edited December 2019

@Francisco said:
    So what is everyones predictions for big changes for 2020? Mine are:

• Solus.io finally launches at $4/m/core with Solus VM1 set to sunset 12mo to 18mo after initial
    • WHMCS sunsets lifetime licenses with the launch of v8.0. To add to the displeasure they remove the "unlimited customers" option and requires everyone pay $0.30/month/active or similar.
    • More mergers/buyouts as datacenters continue to roll out products competing with their own users.
    • Plesk removes their unlimited domain option.
    • Directadmin prunes back the amount of OS' they support to allow them to make it easier to maintain the product.

#2 I stole from @qps.

Francisco

Oakley are already shopping to sell Webpros (solus, whmcs, cpanel, plesk). I'd think if they planned to jack up the prices on other stuff, they'd have done that before trying to find a buyer. The new buyer may well want to do the things you've mentioned, depends on their strategy. If it's another private equity firm then yeah they'll want to do that. But if it's a normal corporation it seems less likely.

EDIT: I take it back. Looks like Oakley are selling Webpros to another PE firm. Well, most of it. Some of it is getting shuffled from one Oakley fund to another Oakley fund.

So yeah, more price hikes on the horizon for certain. WHMCS and SolusVM being the obvious ones to get cPanel-like price hikes in 2020.

@Francisco said:

PureVoltage said: I can say we will see a lot more bandwidth options for 2020 from providers. We are waiting on quite a few 100G ports to be setup for sometime in 2020.

Bigger issue is that a lot of backbone providers don't have the capacity in places.

HE is still 10gbit in a lot of markets with Cogent being similar.

I expect that to change. 10g just doesn't earn enough revenue for carriers anymore, especially HE.net / Cogent. The way prices are going to sub 10 cents / megabit, if you don't have at least 100g feeding a pop, there's no financial way to make money off having that pop.

@AnthonySmith said:
    I predict that 2020 is the year the IP4 shortage starts to show a tangible impact in some areas, likely Europe first.

Seems likely to me. I've seen signs that things are finally tightening on the IPv4 front this year. I expect more of the same next year.

• @deank said:
    I predict the birth of Potassium brigade led by @J-ski.

I must knight Sir @dahartigan first, otherwise he'll backfire and be the end of me.
    You know how they say about potassium, keep your potatoes close and your potatoes even closer.
    I believe it's the words of a famous Roman emperor, Potassious Maximous.
    Or some rapper once said, one must give potatoes in order to take potatoes.

Anyhow, as long as you are our, The Nigh Sect leader, there shall be no end... Or, there shall be end. Or... See, i screwed myself. I should have known the nighness and ended three sentences, one paragraph, ago. Assessment of nighness is out of my league, i can only ask for opinion, @deank.

• Potassium brigade full of lowend spirit will be fearsome to watch.

Fear not, the end shall be here even before you know it; you will beg for potato even before you realize.

Thanked by (1)Janevski

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• @deank said:
    you will beg for potato even before you realize.

And that's the beauty of it.
    The initial concept of potatoes is utterly communist-like.
    Potatoe is love potatoe is life.
    One can own potatoe as much as anyone else can own potatoes.
    Thus, exclusively monopolizing potatoes for personal gain, is quite not doable, since there is no effective force stopping anyone to potatoe, as much as feels needed.
    In the end, pure idiocy potatoe wins remains is incureable.

• I think 2020 is going to be the year of AMD. Even just over the past couple of months I’ve seen a dramatic increase in the number of providers offering a Ryzen box.

I’m hyped about it; the speeds are amazing!

It don’t be like it is until it do.

• WebPros will release SolusVM 6000 with increased license cost, forcing all budget providers away from SolusVM.
    Maybe even Virtualizor will exploit that and increase licenses costs by a small margin.