THE VPS UPTIME THREAD

tgltgl OG
edited December 2019 in General

Aruba, DC1, Italy

14:52:29 up 626 days, 5:02, 1 user, load average: 0.09, 0.11, 0.04

Comments

• How the security patches looking though?

• grape?

Thanked by (1)Janevski

HS4LIFE (+ (* 3 4) (* 5 6))

• @corbpie said:
    How the security patches looking though?

Block all the ports. Look at the blank black screen and scream hail merry 3 times.

Thanked by (1)ulayer
  • its 2019

https://ubuntu.com/livepatch
    https://ksplice.oracle.com/

but no, i dont care about that, i just have ssh running as an external service, the rest are interesting stories from the web, it turns out you can keep your system up to date and patched, and your provider doesn't and you still get fucked, still this is the uptime thread, not the security patch thread

• Ah, another reason for comparing our d@@ks
    (Assuming everyone here has one)

Mine's pretty short, since I consider 60-day uptimes an achievement.

Thanked by (1)tgl

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• 13:32:12 up 693 days, 8:55, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

HostHatch 128MB VZ in NL

Thanked by (2)tgl Dazzle

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• [root@jennifer ~]# w
    06:49:26 up 1779 days, 12:57, 1 user, load average: 0,13, 0,22, 0,21
    USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE JCPU PCPU WHAT
    root pts/0 94.xx.xx.xx 06:49 0.00s 0.01s 0.00s w

[root@jennifer ~]# rpm -q centos-release
    centos-release-6-6.el6.centos.12.2.x86_64
    [root@jennifer ~]# uname -a
    Linux jennifer.xxxx 2.6.32-504.8.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Jan 28 21:11:36 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    [root@jennifer ~]#

Hetzner dedicated box with a single site and directadmin.
    zero updates, zero maintenance,

at this point this server is now in Gods hands,
    if it works it works , if it dies it dies...

• $ uptime
    06:56:36 up 700 days, 6:27, 1 user, load average: 0.35, 0.46, 0.43

An old KS-3c storage box, due to be retired next month :tongue:

Thanked by (3)tgl uptime Dazzle
  • All my favourite VPS providers would easily give me 300+ days.
    I just choose to reboot once every 5-6 mos.

Thanked by (1)tgl
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom OG
    edited December 2019

My longest running VPS is:

$ uptime
    07:27:29 up 761 days, 18:35, 1 user, load average: 0.08, 0.03, 0.01

Host live migrated for patching the hosts (spectre, etc).

Thanked by (1)Dazzle
  • WSSWSS OGRetired

@emre said:
    [root@jennifer ~]# w
    zero updates, zero maintenance,

At this point, there's likely several others who have root@jennifer.

I'm too cheap to pay for KernelCare on boxes where I usually tweak the kernel, so it'd be pointless anyhow. ~300 days is about the best I can do before there's something that absolutely requires a modicum of downtime to alleviate. Of course, in production, KernelCare, semi-default compatible kernel builds.

Thanked by (1)AlSwearengen

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• tgltgl OG
    edited December 2019

again, updating does not mean you're safe, most 0days are in the wild for months before being patched so do not expect to be bullet proof if you do that, if you want to be safe you need to add some extra stuff, like grsecurity, start a learn and set up rules in place, all services must run in dockers/lxc/chroots, for apache/nginx there is modsecurity, disabling php functions bla bla bla, it can take hours to explain how to secure a linux box and it still wont be 100% secure because there is always one flaw, a human has access to it

in my case i'm not running any external stuff except ssh so i dont care that much but my system is up to date, even if i get compromised i'll just reinstall, the idea is to have backups and not be cocky that you are some big shot sysadmin, and all will be well

Edit: Almost forgot, it will be 2020 soon :)

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/what-is-immutable-infrastructure

Thanked by (1)vimalware
  • WSSWSS OGRetired

If your ssh is exposed, that can be a pretty big issue. I assume you're using portknocking actively or fail2ban passiovely, but this is hardly the thread for that. We're mostly just dickwaving uptime here, and I opted to say why I don't really have more than a year to show in general. My BSD boxes can go longer than that, but they're becoming rare for forward-facing since I don't work for Netflix.

Thanked by (1)poisson

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• [root@VGXG002 ~]# uptime
    09:29:45 up 641 days, 16:48, 1 user, load average: 0.30, 1.65, 2.60

Leaseweb SG

UpCloud free $25 through this aff link - Akamai, DigitalOcean and Vultr alternative, multiple location, IPv6.

• DreamDream OGServices Provider

10:39:41 up 930 days, 1:03, 1 user, load average: 0.96, 0.73, 0.67

don't ask why and for what reason xD

• @WSS said:
    If your ssh is exposed, that can be a pretty big issue. I assume you're using portknocking actively or fail2ban passiovely, but this is hardly the thread for that. We're mostly just dickwaving uptime here, and I opted to say why I don't really have more than a year to show in general. My BSD boxes can go longer than that, but they're becoming rare for forward-facing since I don't work for Netflix.

Protecting SSH + firewall takes cares of most drive-by attacks. Most of us are not high value targets.

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• I opened a thread back in the old LES forum quite some time ago. My best then was a LES VPS:

Since then, a now retired VirMach VPS achieved this:

• tgltgl OG
    edited December 2019

@WSS said:

different port, password login disabled

• VPN box with @liteserver:

13:17:16 up 697 days, 17:20,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Idle box with Virmach:

07:18:33 up 374 days, 20:37,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Storage box with @AnthonySmith:

13:16:36 up 207 days, 22:57,  1 user,  load average: 0.09, 0.06, 0.07

Thanked by (1)liteserver