Need help with choosing setup for VDS infrastructure. Also looking for offers.

So, we currently have a Windows VDI setup using RDS running on a VPS running on a local Proxmox node.
The VM is provisioned with 16 cores(Xeon 2673V2),80GB Memory and around 100GB of storage.
I want to move this VM to an off site location as more users mean more hardware cost and more physical maintenance. Also, we want to eventually phase out this setup, so I don't want to invest in additional hardware.

Considering this scenario, which options do you guys suggest?
I am debating between a VPS and a dedi and want to know what you guys think.
Can you also suggest how I can compare these Xeon cores to the newer cpus so I can spec accordingly.
Also, I'm based in India and need latency to be less than 100ms so looking for a solution based in APAC.

What to pick?
  1. VPS or Dedi?28 votes
    1. VPS
        0.00%
    2. Dedi
      71.43%
    3. I just like to click buttons
      28.57%

Comments

• If you are going to go with a VPS, each user is going to need their own individual VPS. I doubt there is any VPSes out there in the world with 80GB RAM and 16 dedicated vCores assigned to it, unless maybe a custom plan from someone like Azure or AWS.

I would opt for a Dedi instead and run it with bare metal Windows Server for the best performance. A hardware firewall in front with VPN enabled on it, and 2FA would be a good idea as well. Not a great idea to have a RDS server floating out in the public internet.

Thanked by (1)fragpic

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• @CamoYoshi said:
    If you are going to go with a VPS, each user is going to need their own individual VPS. I doubt there is any VPSes out there in the world with 80GB RAM and 16 dedicated vCores assigned to it, unless maybe a custom plan from someone like Azure or AWS.

I would opt for a Dedi instead and run it with bare metal Windows Server for the best performance. A hardware firewall in front with VPN enabled on it, and 2FA would be a good idea as well. Not a great idea to have a RDS server floating out in the public internet.

This is an RDS based setup so every user shares the same VPS. But you are right about finding a high spec VPS like this. Maybe a dedi is the only option since my plan is to extend to 128GB of RAM.

• @fragpic said:

@CamoYoshi said:
    If you are going to go with a VPS, each user is going to need their own individual VPS. I doubt there is any VPSes out there in the world with 80GB RAM and 16 dedicated vCores assigned to it, unless maybe a custom plan from someone like Azure or AWS.

This is an RDS based setup so every user shares the same VPS. But you are right about finding a high spec VPS like this. Maybe a dedi is the only option since my plan is to extend to 128GB of RAM.

Sounds like a dedi offer is what you need then. There's a few dedi providers in Singapore with good latency to India I've heard, but I haven't kept my ear to the ground on who the latest new hotness is. But I am sure some providers or low-end folks who focus on the APAC region will be able to make recommendations. Obviously, ask for looking-glasses and/or test IPs to test for latency from your ISP to their ISP(s) and see how the peering is since this will be used for a latency-critical infrastructure.

Thanked by (1)fragpic

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• @CamoYoshi said: Sounds like a dedi offer is what you need then. There's a few dedi providers in Singapore with good latency to India I've heard, but I haven't kept my ear to the ground on who the latest new hotness is. But I am sure some providers or low-end folks who focus on the APAC region will be able to make recommendations. Obviously, ask for looking-glasses and/or test IPs to test for latency from your ISP to their ISP(s) and see how the peering is since this will be used for a latency-critical infrastructure.

Yeah, I'm looking at Singapore and HK. Not sure if there are any other locations in APAC with cheaper hosting. Hoping to get a few offers from providers here.

• @fragpic said:

@CamoYoshi said: Sounds like a dedi offer is what you need then. There's a few dedi providers in Singapore with good latency to India I've heard, but I haven't kept my ear to the ground on who the latest new hotness is. But I am sure some providers or low-end folks who focus on the APAC region will be able to make recommendations. Obviously, ask for looking-glasses and/or test IPs to test for latency from your ISP to their ISP(s) and see how the peering is since this will be used for a latency-critical infrastructure.

Yeah, I'm looking at Singapore and HK. Not sure if there are any other locations in APAC with cheaper hosting. Hoping to get a few offers from providers here.

Australia : quantumcore.com.au

• Honestly, especially considering you're wanting high RAM, it might be better to look into colocation instead of a dedicated server.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

maybe vultr has some APAC bare metal.

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• edited March 2021

@cybertech said:
    maybe vultr has some APAC bare metal.

Last time I checked, it's out of stock. Maybe try Leapswitch or PhoenixNAP but I wouldn't call it cheap.

• @SWN_Michael said: Honestly, especially considering you're wanting high RAM, it might be better to look into colocation instead of a dedicated server.

If I want to maintain the hardware, then I can just deploy it locally. Colo would actually make my problems worse.

@cybertech said: maybe vultr has some APAC bare metal.

Too expensive and low specced

For everyone suggesting a dedi, why do you think its better than a dedicated VPS like netcup's root server offering.
    With a dedi I'd also have to manage the node which itself will be a single point of failure compared to a VPS where its on the provider to keep the VPS running always.

@fragpic said:

@SWN_Michael said: Honestly, especially considering you're wanting high RAM, it might be better to look into colocation instead of a dedicated server.

If I want to maintain the hardware, then I can just deploy it locally. Colo would actually make my problems worse.

@cybertech said: maybe vultr has some APAC bare metal.

Too expensive and low specced

For everyone suggesting a dedi, why do you think its better than a dedicated VPS like netcup's root server offering.
    With a dedi I'd also have to manage the node which itself will be a single point of failure compared to a VPS where its on the provider to keep the VPS running always.

Well for 100ms , 16cores, 80GB ram, vultr may just be a mid range price.

• @cybertech said: vultr may just be a mid range price.

First of all, they dont even have the spec I need. Like 32GB with 4 cores is the max they have.
    On top of that they charge $240 for this spec, which is insane considering I can find much lower pricing for my required config at OneProvider, HostUS, GreenCloudVPS and even OVH.

@fragpic said:

@cybertech said: vultr may just be a mid range price.

First of all, they dont even have the spec I need. Like 32GB with 4 cores is the max they have.
    On top of that they charge $240 for this spec, which is insane considering I can find much lower pricing for my required config at OneProvider, HostUS, GreenCloudVPS and even OVH.

cool seems like you already got a good idea what to get!

• AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG

A managed service might fit all of those needs.

what is your current expense per month & what budget you have in mind ?

• @Abdullah said:
    A managed service might fit all of those needs.

what is your current expense per month & what budget you have in mind ?

PMed

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

With those requirements, a dedi is the way to go.

If you find someone who can offer a VPS with those specs, most likely you will share the hardware with other customers and performance might suffer.

You might want to consider a Windows Virtual Desktop setup in Azure.
    Its not cheap but you will get performance.

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg