Swap Chrome/Chromium for Firefox

https://www.zdnet.com/article/chrome-70-of-all-security-bugs-are-memory-safety-issues/

Looks like Chrome has hit a wall. Move to Firefox in the meantime.

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Follow latest deals on Twitter or Telegram

Thanked by (1)YellowHummingbird

Comments

  • vyasvyas OGContent Writer

    Welcome back

    Thanked by (1)uptime
  • Blaming a programming language for your own faults.

  • Main reason I use chrome is the instant history sync with phone and pc.
    I may be an idiot but I prefer to have Google keep my search history, so that I might find something I looked up in 2013 on history.google.com 😋

    You have been invited to experience the Waking Up app for free. The app is unlocked for one month. Enjoy.
    https://share.wakingup.com/1cb1d7 (extra signature line removed)

  • RahulRahul OG
    edited May 29

    @Iroshan464 said:
    Main reason I use chrome is the instant history sync with phone and pc.
    I may be an idiot but I prefer to have Google keep my search history, so that I might find something I looked up in 2013 on history.google.com 😋

    As Far As I Know,

    @poisson said: Firefox

    Has something like that too, maybe not exactly like

    @Iroshan464 said: history.google.com

    But, still works.

  • @Rahul said:

    @Iroshan464 said:
    Main reason I use chrome is the instant history sync with phone and pc.
    I may be an idiot but I prefer to have Google keep my search history, so that I might find something I looked up in 2013 on history.google.com 😋

    As Far As I Know,
    Has something like that too, maybe not exactly like

    Yes, Firefox Sync. It works well.

    @poisson said:
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/chrome-70-of-all-security-bugs-are-memory-safety-issues/

    Looks like Chrome has hit a wall. Move to Firefox in the meantime.

    Ugh, ZDnet, and engilsh majors writing about technology. :#

    I'm a Firefox user, so it really is the content of the article and not some Google fetish or large corp bootlicking.

    @Solaire said:
    Blaming a programming language for your own faults.

    Right. :lol:

    "Going forward, Google says it plans to look into developing custom C++ libraries to use with Chrome's codebase, libraries that have better protections against memory-related bugs."

    Where have I heard that before? Oh yeah, in my college CS classes and OpenBSD. I thought this was common practice in the industry for working with C and C++? :o

    Thanked by (1)vimalware
  • People still use chrome. Smh.

    I swear to drunk Im not god

  • @FlamingSpaceJunk said:
    "Going forward, Google says it plans to look into developing custom C++ libraries to use with Chrome's codebase, libraries that have better protections against memory-related bugs."

    Where have I heard that before? Oh yeah, in my college CS classes and OpenBSD. I thought this was common practice in the industry for working with C and C++? :o

    Yeah it is, that's why I'm so surprised to see this coming from a Google engineer. A bunch of things are written in C, including the Linux kernel and various services. It might be more difficult to implement code in a secure way using C, but it's not exactly rocket science either.

  • @vyas said:
    Welcome back

    Not exactly back full-time, but I hope to clear enough off my plate to. :)

    Thanked by (1)seriesn

    Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Follow latest deals on Twitter or Telegram

  • serverianserverian Hosting Provider

    As a result, both C and C++ let programmers have full control over how they manage an app's memory pointers (addresses) and don't come with restrictions or warnings to prevent or alert developers when they're making basic memory management errors.

    Thanked by (2)vimalware bugrakoc
  • @Solaire said:
    Yeah it is, that's why I'm so surprised to see this coming from a Google engineer. A bunch of things are written in C, including the Linux kernel and various services. It might be more difficult to implement code in a secure way using C, but it's not exactly rocket science either.

    Indeed. SEI CERT C Coding Standard

    As others will point out, memory safety is great for stuff running in userspace, and it's mostly about programmer productivity. When memory safety is turned off, for the kind of things that happen in kernel space for instance, the memory safe language is just as error prone as C.

    I want to say this had something to do with OpenBSD, and a mailing list discussion about why they aren't switching to Rust.

  • I don't like pointers either.

    https://duck.com (aff)
    https://ecosia.org (aff) Plant trees from home.
    "If you are not paying for a product then you are the product."

Sign In or Register to comment.