New Intel Core i9-10980XE and AMD Threadripper 3960X/3970X processors

Today (11.25) Intel is rolling out the Core™ i9-10980XE Extreme Edition as their new Cascade Lake X-Series processor and AMD is also launching their new Threadripper 3960X/3970X processors.

The specs are:

1) Intel Core™ i9-10980XE

• Cores: 18
  • Threads: 36
  • Processor Base Frequency: 3.00 GHz
  • Max Turbo Frequency: 4.60 GHz
  • TBM 3.0 frequency: 4.80 GHz
  • Cache: 24.75 MB Intel® Smart Cache
  • DDR4-2933 quad channel memory support
  • TDP: 165 W
  • L1TF/Meltdown hardware mitigations in place

2) AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ 3960X

• Cores: 24
  • Threads: 48
  • Base Clock: 3.8GHz
  • Max Boost Clock: Up to 4.5GHz
  • Total L1 Cache: 2.25MB
  • Total L2 Cache: 12MB
  • Total L3 Cache: 128MB
  • DDR4-3200
  • Default TDP: 280W

3) AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ 3970X

• Cores: 32
  • Threads: 64
  • Base Clock: 3.7GHz
  • Max Boost Clock: Up to 4.5GHz
  • Total L1 Cache: 3MB
  • Total L2 Cache: 16MB
  • Total L3 Cache: 128MB
  • DDR4-3200
  • Default TDP: 280W

In order to be competitive with the new AMD processors (3960X = $1399 USD and 3970X = $1999 USD), the Core i9 10980XE is launching at $979 USD.

Phoronix released linux benchmarks for the new processors here and here.

TL;DR Threadripper dominate in performance. :wink:

BF/CM - Buyer Beware. Conduct your own due diligence on the sustainability of the deals presented here as well as the provider's track record.

Tagged:

Comments

• sadly Intel is not what it was

• Linus Tech tips did some good general reviews on both, Gamersnexus has more in dept look at them.

Linus Tech Tips

Gamersnexus

Thanked by (1)ITLabs
  • deankdeank OG
    edited November 2019

Intel is dead. Their 10nm is dead. By time, they transit to 7nm, AMD will be years ahead.

The only thing I currently dislike about Ryzen is that they keep lying too much on TDP. I've got 3900x and it is no way 105w TDP. More like 180w TDP.

P.S. Linus' voice is getting ever higher. I think his wife has a deeper voice now.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG

@deank said:
    Intel is dead. Their 10nm is dead. By time, they transit to 7nm, AMD will be years ahead.

The only thing I currently dislike about Ryzen is that they keep lying too much on TDP. I've got 3900x and it is no way 105w TDP. More like 180w TDP.

P.S. Linus' voice is getting ever higher. I think his wife has a deeper voice now.

The TDP is "fine", but the 3900X is definitely a bit higher. I'm actually getting a new cooler for mine tomorrow since the Wraith cooler isn't good for it.

ExtraVM - High RAM Specials
    Yours truly.

• deankdeank OG
    edited November 2019

I had to tinker a lot to keep the temp down on 3900x. It was primarily due to me doing CPU renders. I don't rely on GPU for that since I've got only Geforce 1650.

As far as I can see, 3900x TDP is indeed 105w on purely stock at 3.9ghz. The issue is that the CPU attempts to boost as high as possible. had to disable that feature to keep temp down to 75c. Otherwise, it was hitting 95c.

Anyway, 3900x is very good. Intel can suck my nipples.

Thanked by (3)Amitz vimalware poisson

• deank said: Intel can suck my nipples.

You treat Intel too good!
    Why is Amitz day on 21 October, just curious?

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• Isn't it 21st? Or is my memory failing me?

It was the day the Amitz Effect begun.

Thanked by (1)Amitz

• Excellent. You are right. I even did not remember the exact date myself. Effects are always so unforeseeable, unlike the end.

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• xyphos10 said: Linus Tech tips did some good general reviews on both, Gamersnexus has more in dept look at them.

These video previews are so funny!

• edited November 2019

deank said: The only thing I currently dislike about Ryzen is that they keep lying too much on TDP. I've got 3900x and it is no way 105w TDP. More like 180w TDP.

That's quite interesting. What tools are you using to read TDP?

I know that Intel never lists TDP of their CPUs anywhere, but it's the first time I hear that about AMD. All AMD CPUs I owned never went beyond their listed TDP, even when heavily overclocked.

https://youtu.be/stM2CPF9YAY?t=400
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6svy1a/tdp_vs_tdp/

• deankdeank OG
    edited November 2019

If you know the history of AMD CPUs, they were the first ones to start sort of "lying" on CPU TDP by using average load as TDP rating instead of max load.
    I think that began with bulldozer core due to them being inherently hot and the need to push clocks higher to combat later Core i series.

In that case, the current TDP is correct by using average load (AKA realistic load for users).

TDP is basically how much a CPU consumes. It's not 100% accurate but it's close enough. You can use a kill-a-watt to see how much it drinks once all cores to pushed to 100%.
    In my rig, 3900x on full load, rendering, consumes 220ish watt with GPU idling. I gave 50-ish watt for mobo, 3 M.2 SSD sticks, RAM, and RGB crap.

• deank said: I think that began with bulldozer core due to them being inherently hot and the need to push clocks higher to combat later Core i series.

These CPUs don't go above their TDP limit (though for extreme overclocking users can disable it). No matter what voltage/frequency you specify, under Prime95 they always hit their TDP, even when overclocking performance gain is linear (e.g. no throttling).

The problem was that they were trying to push server CPUs (FX series) as desktop ones. These CPUs are very cold actually, they would be perfect for workstations/severs if run underclocked at 3 GHz or less.

deank said: In that case, the current TDP is correct by using average load (AKA realistic load for users).

I like to think of TDP as the absolute maximum CPU will ever hit. Otherwise PCs/servers can end up in similar situation as laptops, where you can't even render a video without throttling.

deank said: In my rig, 3900x on full load, rendering, consumes 220ish watt with GPU idling. I gave 50-ish watt for mobo, 3 M.2 SSD sticks, RAM, and RGB crap.

You don't trust internal power consumption meter?

Like you said, these reviews also suggest that modern CPUs run a lot hotter than their TDP under 100% load like video encoding:
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/14605/the-and-ryzen-3700x-3900x-review-raising-the-bar/19
    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ryzen-9-3900x-7-3700x-review,6214-3.html
    That's really weird.

• deankdeank OG
    edited November 2019

TDP used to be the maximum heat dissipation. "Used to be".

Not anymore. I began to notice this as the core count went beyond 4. The difference wasn't that big. And I often considered it to be a margin of error or just a worse silicon leaking power.

With 10+ core CPUs being a lot more common though, I think it's neither a margin of error nor a bad silicon. It's just the way it is due to having so many cores.

• I am looking at a new PC build for some gaming now I have some spare time, is intel still the better option or is AMD ahead on that front also?

• deankdeank OG
    edited November 2019

Intel and AMD are on par on single thread.

I will always choose 7nm over ancient 14nm though.

Thanked by (3)Lee vimalware poisson

• @Lee said:
    I am looking at a new PC build for some gaming now I have some spare time, is intel still the better option or is AMD ahead on that front also?

AMD is definitely cheaper on a multicore performance basis and is toe to toe on single core. Answer is clear.

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• https://www.anandtech.com/print/15044/the-amd-ryzen-threadripper-3960x-and-3970x-review-24-and-32-cores-on-7nm :

I have never used the word ‘bloodbath’ in a review before. It seems messy, violent, and a little bit gruesome. But when we look at the results from the new AMD Threadripper processors, it seems more than appropriate.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

any vps on 3950x?

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG

@cybertech said:
    any vps on 3950x?

Unlikely? It's a $500 CPU, doubt anyone will get it on the launch date to use for VPS especially at any cheap price.

Thanked by (1)cybertech

ExtraVM - High RAM Specials
    Yours truly.

• Add more insult to injury, AMD announced the 64-core 128-Thread TR 3990X for 2020. Granted this is a extremely niche product but it is good to see AMD competing in both low end and high end (HEDT) markets.

source

Thanked by (2)ITLabs poisson
  • BlaZeBlaZe Hosting ProviderOG

@deank said:
    Intel can suck my nipples.

Can you render and show us those nipples? Some might be interested!

Thanked by (1)Amitz

ExoticVM.com - Find VPS in exotic locations!

• Not my nipples but I have few nude women models on my SSD. I could render them but it's be NSFW.

Thanked by (1)Amitz

• @xyphos10 said:
    Add more insult to injury, AMD announced the 64-core 128-Thread TR 3990X for 2020. Granted this is a extremely niche product but it is good to see AMD competing in both low end and high end (HEDT) markets.

source

This will be an Intel killer in the high end server market considering all the problems Intel currently has. Even if priced at a premium, the big boys probably will still ditch Intel.

For the low end, Ryzens are plenty of juice. A Ryzen VPS with 2vCPUs can probably tank the load of a medium sized website at the fraction of the cost of a low end dedicated.

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow