CSF blocking custom SSH port

Hello.
I've installed Direct Admin and it comes with CSF. I've configured a custom port number in sshd_config file and CSF blocks the connection.

I don't want to whitelist my current IP because it's dynamic.

What's the best configuration for this?

Comments

• AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG
    edited October 2020

tcp|in|d=custom_port|s=IP_Address
    opens the custom port for your IP only
    If ip is dynamic, maybe u can use ur isp ip range in IP_Address

Edit: just realized you don't want to whitelist current IP.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

Reinstall CSF for new SSH port to be included or just manually whitelist

• edited October 2020

There is never any issue with CSF ssh custom port - just add the port to the list of other ports. Then csf -r. Change sshd_config and systemctl restart sshd
    As for dynamic IP: setup a free dyndns account (there are a few) and add your new FQDN to csf.ignore. Change the relevant dyndns entries in csf.conf -never get locked out by accident.
    Done.
    (The paranoid amongst us connect via a VPN, with a fixed IP, circumventing the dynamic IP issue.)

Thanked by (2)skorous imok

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• edited October 2020

/etc/csf/csf.conf - or use the GUI

TCP_IN = add custom port to the end
    DYNDNS = 600
    DYNDNS_IGNORE = On

Correction: add your new FQDN to csf.ignore csf.dyndns

Can I know, did you change SSH port before or after installing DirectAdmin?

• I changed mine before and then just added it to the list of inbound ports in the CSF config page in DA.

• To be on the safe side, I (almost) always change port AFTER installing a control panel. I think it was HestiaCP that reverted the port during install, the 1st time I installed it. :-o

Thanked by (1)imok

• @imok said:
    Hello.
    I've installed Direct Admin and it comes with CSF. I've configured a custom port number in sshd_config file and CSF blocks the connection.

I don't want to whitelist my current IP because it's dynamic.

What's the best configuration for this?

Do what Alibaba would have done.

Open the port.

Thanked by (1)imok
  • Thank you, added to TCP_IN and everything OK. Blocking failed attempts still works fortunately.

I was in doubt because with cPanel I didn't configured it in CSF.

@SmallWeb said: Can I know, did you change SSH port before or after installing DirectAdmin?

@AlwaysSkint said: To be on the safe side, I (almost) always change port AFTER installing a control panel.

I did it before installing. That may be the difference.

• edited October 2020

@imok said: I was in doubt because with cPanel I didn't configured it in CSF.

With cPanel, CSF is normally installed afterwards, whereby it scans for current open ports and adds the appropriate ssh one to TCP_IN. That's the default action of CSF, during its' installation. Perhaps with panels that integrate CSF during installation, there are 'tweaks' done to sshd_config after the CSF install part (not good).

Thanked by (1)imok

Tbh, don't recall having the same issue with DA/CSF but I uninstall and reinstall CSF by default.

• edited October 2020

@SmallWeb said: .. but I uninstall and reinstall CSF by default

.. which would circumvent any issue. ;) Assuming you haven't rebooted and tried to ssh in to the server i.e. used the GUI to reinstall.

edited October 2020

@AlwaysSkint said:

.. which would circumvent any issue. ;) Assuming you haven't rebooted and tried to ssh in to the server i.e. used the GUI to reinstall.

Nah, I mean I check SSH login access and common ports but just uninstall/reinstall CSF in case I miss anything not so obvious.

Had plenty of my own fuck ups so I'm usually in VNC ready to revert.

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint
  • @SmallWeb said:

@AlwaysSkint said:

Nah, I mean I check SSH login access and common ports but just uninstall/reinstall CSF in case I miss anything not so obvious.

I have my own default set of CSF configs, that gets auto downloaded on every new install. Makes life easier :)

Thanked by (2)MichaelCee AlwaysSkint

@seriesn said:

@SmallWeb said:

@AlwaysSkint said:

I have my own default set of CSF configs, that gets auto downloaded on every new install. Makes life easier :)

Another thing for my to-do list! :smiley:

• @seriesn said:

@SmallWeb said:

@AlwaysSkint said:

Nice.

Where can I download the instructions?

/joke