Need some details for Netcup/PHP-Friends dedicated cores servers.

I heard Netcup does not enable nested virt on RS line, how much I need to pay to enable it?
Are these "dedicated cores" dedicated threads or dedicated physical cores? Do they enable HyperThreading?
Feel free to recommend some other providers as well, with details please.

Comments

• @let2les said:
    I heard Netcup does not enable nested virt on RS line, how much I need to pay to enable it?

Correct. @Falzo mentioned something along € 2 per core (so usually not worth it as this in itself may be the cost of the VM).

Are these "dedicated cores" dedicated threads or dedicated physical cores? Do they enable HyperThreading?

The RS line has dedicated threads - you can use them 24/7 100% but from what I've seen the performance does drop. So there is definitely some throttling going that reduces throughput a fair bit for sustained CPU workloads.

Feel free to recommend some other providers as well, with details please.

What is your use case? Just nested virt? Sustained CPU use? You're really not going to get great CPU performance out of a (typically shared) VPS. You're better of with a dedi for that kind of work load.

• 2 euro per core, so much cheaper to:
    1. Buy multiple machines
    2. Go for LXC virtualisation
    3. Go for PHP-Friends/Avoro/Hetzner machines.

Dedicated threads basically, 95%+ continuous usage allowed.

• I think it was 2 euro per core, but I forgot

php-friends, I know had it enabled by default, but dont expect miracles, they have also some limitation somewhere, or other people abuse the cpus, i tried it, the machines worked but they were slow

• edited November 2020

PHP-Friends's "dedicated core" is not dedicated threads/cores for one server only, I guess. Because I can still see a little bit cpu steal time(2% ~ 5%).

Thanked by (3)ehab saibal let2les
  • @lighter said:

i did see in the past high steal cpu with the PHP-Friends. Thanks for reminding me.

• IIRC there was some drama at the OGF on their definition of dedicated cores/threads.

• @nullnothere said:
    What is your use case? Just nested virt? Sustained CPU use? You're really not going to get great CPU performance out of a (typically shared) VPS. You're better of with a dedi for that kind of work load.

Don't have critical task, typically running a game server with little CPU spikes, and compiling software like LineageOS and some APKs.

@AC_Fan said:
    2 euro per core, so much cheaper to:
    3. Go for PHP-Friends/Avoro/Hetzner machines.

Thanks, will check Avoro.

@tgl said:
    php-friends, I know had it enabled by default, but dont expect miracles, they have also some limitation somewhere, or other people abuse the cpus, i tried it, the machines worked but they were slow

So they also enable HT, right?

Now, Netcup/PHP-Friends/Avoro/Hetzner, which of them do not require my ID card and proof of address? I'm fine with a photo of my credit card, but not with much other private info.

• @saibal said:
    IIRC there was some drama at the OGF on their definition of dedicated cores/threads.

I think I once read about that in a thread but I can't find it anymore.

• @let2les said:
    Now, Netcup/PHP-Friends/Avoro/Hetzner, which of them do not require my ID card and proof of address? I'm fine with a photo of my credit card, but not with much other private info.

PHP-Friends did not ask me for any verification. But you must provide your real address as they would send the physical invoice to the address.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited November 2020

@lighter said:

@let2les said:

PHP-Friends did not ask me for any verification. But you must provide your real address as they would send the physical invoice to the address.

PHP-F asked me for ID. I also had to send business information - a couple of emails with Tim and it was sorted out.
    Avoro did not
    Hetzner did
    Hetzner (DNS) did not

Depends on what the fraud detection software flags.

• @lighter said:

@let2les said:

I’ve never received a physical invoice, neither did they ask me for verification.