complete novice in Windows 2012 server

Hello everyone,

During the BF week, I saw a very good deal for a windows vps with 2CPU - 8GB RAM - 50GB SSD - 10TB Bandwidth at $60/year. Bought it on impulse - don't really need it but it is working very well.

Not sure if I would renew it next year but since it has been paid already, I hope to learn as much as possible before it expires.

Googled some info regarding how to keep the vps safe - they all recommend changing the default rdp port + limiting accepted IP via remote connection.

Aside from this, would you guys be generous to throw in more ideas? Many thanks for reading and input.

Comments

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

Well if all else fails, nothing forced you to keep it on windows.

I would have to ask why 2012 server though it is 9 years+ old at this point, CentOS 5 was still mainstream at that point.

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Well if all else fails, nothing forced you to keep it on windows.

I would have to ask why 2012 server though it is 9 years+ old at this point, CentOS 5 was still mainstream at that point.

Thanks for your input.

Well.... It was just because I would have nothing to host in a linux environment with so much resource and therefore decided to try how it is like to operate Windows Server and learn from it. (a 1GB Ram , 10GB storage would basically fit what I want if Linux)

As for why win2012, guess it was because most of the info/tutorial I found is for this particular version? Again, I am completely novice so I might have missed many other parts of concerns.

• Change RDP port + some firewall rules and you should be fine.

If you're paranoid, shut it down when you're not using it and power it on when needed :joy:

Thanked by (1)saibal

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• FAT32FAT32 OG
    edited December 2020

@thedp said:
    If you're paranoid, shut it down when you're not using it and power it on when needed :joy:

This. This is what I do for all my Windows VPS :joy:

I am using it mostly to test stuff on Windows (IE compatibilities etc), my current device is too crappy to run a VM so a VPS is a better option.

But I only use it for < 15 hours per year, maybe I should rethink my strategy and running a Cloud instance (DigitalOcean / AWS) could be a lot cheaper :sweat_smile:

Thanked by (2)yoursunny saibal
  • @thedp said:
    Change RDP port + some firewall rules and you should be fine.

Thanks for your input.

:p Unfortunately I can't power off any VPS as they are either running as a vpn or 24/7 game rooms.

Well :# my apologies for the wrong word choice at the beginning - I am indeed trying to learn from various angles in managing a windows server. No matter if I renew it or not, I treat it as a learning experience. Honestly, I had never been interested in anything about computer before having my first VPS.

Now I am in the firewall setting again - and there are several items that are presumably related to RDP -

May I know what the differences are?

• @swat4 said:

@thedp said:
    Change RDP port + some firewall rules and you should be fine.

Thanks for your input.

:p Unfortunately I can't power off any VPS as they are either running as a vpn or 24/7 game rooms.

Well :# my apologies for the wrong word choice at the beginning - I am indeed trying to learn from various angles in managing a windows server. No matter if I renew it or not, I treat it as a learning experience. Honestly, I had never been interested in anything about computer before having my first VPS.

Now I am in the firewall setting again - and there are several items that are presumably related to RDP -

May I know what the differences are?

Don't worry too much, change RDP port via registry and filter incoming connections to the custom RDP port via Windows Defender.

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• @FAT32 said:

But I only use it for < 15 hours per year, maybe I should rethink my strategy and running a Cloud instance (DigitalOcean / AWS) could be a lot cheaper :sweat_smile:

=) Now you remind me of another usage of having a Windows RDP - If I am asked to run anything that I am unsure of, I will use that box as the testing ground.

By the way, I have not used DO or AWS in the past. Are they good? And do they charge extra for having Windows as the OS?

Thanked by (1)FAT32
  • @thedp said:

Don't worry too much, change RDP port via registry and filter incoming connections to the custom RDP port via Windows Defender.

Thank you :) all have been done. And of course a password that is strong enough.

Would you have any recommendations on what features are worth to learn on Windows Server OS?

• @swat4 said:

@thedp said:

Thank you :) all have been done. And of course a password that is strong enough.

Would you have any recommendations on what features are worth to learn on Windows Server OS?

Hmm, don't know really.

Just look around or play around with the Server Manager or something :joy:

• @thedp said:

I was watching this one earlier today

But stopped after 20-ish minutes as I was lost.... :'( i am just too dumb

• @swat4 said:

@thedp said:

I was watching this one earlier today

But stopped after 20-ish minutes as I was lost.... :'( i am just too dumb

That's not true.

I'm sure everyone learns something new every day.

Thanked by (1)swat4

• edited December 2020

If your Windows Server has desktop and browser, you are doing it wrong. Nowadays, you are supposed to install Server Core only and manage the server via PowerShell.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/desktop/legacy/hh846313(v=vs.85);

Mainstream support for Windows Server 2012 has ended, and EOL is coming up in 2023. You should switch to Windows Server 2019.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• @yoursunny said:
    If your Windows Server has desktop and browser, you are doing it wrong. Nowadays, you are supposed to install Server Core only and manage the server via PowerShell.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/desktop/legacy/hh846313(v=vs.85);

Mainstream support for Windows Server 2012 has ended, and EOL is coming up in 2023. You should switch to Windows Server 2019.

PowerShell is too advanced for me :'(

For 2019, my only concern is the compatibility. Is there any chance that the things I am now doing in 2012 environment might not be able to start after switching?

Thanks Dr Push-up ;)

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@swat4 said:
    For 2019, my only concern is the compatibility. Is there any chance that the things I am now doing in 2012 environment might not be able to start after switching?

No.
    Everything should work in Server 2019.
    Or you are using the wrong software ;)

For open Windows servers without hardware firewall, I recommend to signup for a free DUO (by cisco) account and add 2FA for RDP And other services. You can also use this on linux ssh logins.

Use the push notification alternative and your sms/call credit will last for years.

Thanked by (3)ehab Abdullah saibal

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• @mikho said:

For open Windows servers without hardware firewall, I recommend to signup for a free DUO (by cisco) account and add 2FA for RDP And other services. You can also use this on linux ssh logins.

Use the push notification alternative and your sms/call credit will last for years.

Thanks for your info. I have never heard of it. Will google :) seems solid!

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG
    Thanked by (2)Abdullah swat4

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg