Moderators/admins - how do you feel about having them?
Stemming from elements of this conversation: https://talk.lowendspirit.com/discussion/2317/a-year-in-les-reflections-thoughts-my-history-and-the-future-for-lowendspirit
I want to explore this topic with everyone to see if I simply have too much of an idea view on this subject and should just let go a bit.
In very simple terms I don't have volunteer mods here because:
- I do not like people working for free.
- I do not like the idea of giving someone who in reality I only know as well as their username access to everyone's email address and IP info.
- In reality there is only about 1 flagged post per week if that, people generally just obey the "Don't be a dick" rule here.
Things that have been said that counter my reasons against the list above:
- Some people would actually enjoy doing it on a voluntary basis as it extends their hobby to some degree.
- Maybe fewer people care than I think about the idea of giving a known community member access to that info anyway.
- They can be available on time zones I am not in case anything kicks off while I am not available.
Is there really any difference? maybe super mods also have additional mod rights over hosts.
I would have to insist that this at the very least is a paid role as I would then expect the person in that role to take certain responsibilities on beyond just "if you get a minute" not that it would be a huge amount of hours or anything but some things simply need to be done.
I would want the community to elect the admin although I would likely put the some of the candidates forward myself from observations (I would ask first).
The admin role would probably need to be rolling i.e. once elected, you would need to be re-elected every 12 or 18 or 24 months.
This is all in prep for when things get busier than they are now, atm, I am at a stage whereby I can allocate enough time to keep on top of things for the most part as well as co-ordinate with the dev (who is currently working on improving the comments section for the main site).
Things are on an upward trajectory in terms of view/unique views/unique users so unless that just randomly levels off a time will come when I need help.
Inception Hosting - 256MB OpenVZ VPS back in stock for €8.00 p/year - DEDICATED IP4 + /64 IPv6 https://clients.inceptionhosting.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=177
Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.