Is OVH shared hosting good?

Hi,
has somebody had any experience with shared ovh hosting?
I was looking for the 250gb 5€/month plan, but i don't know how fast it is. Is it good enough for a professional shitty wordpress portfolio website?

Thanked by (1)WebHostingDomain

Comments

• AmitzAmitz OG
    edited December 2019

Taking into account how bad their support for a EUR 80,- per month server is... How bad do you expect their support to be for a EUR 5,- per month product?

I am sure it works great most of the time, like all OVH services. Until shit hits the fan and you need them.

There are so many good shared hosting providers out there - Why OVH? What location are you looking for?

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• @foxone said:
    Hi,
    has somebody had any experience with shared ovh hosting?
    I was looking for the 250gb 5€/month plan, but i don't know how fast it is. Is it good enough for a professional shitty wordpress portfolio website?

OVH is, well, OVH. So, what @Amitz says basically. What I'm more curious about is why a portfolio website would need a whopping 250GB storage? Normally I'd say 5-10GB is more than enough and there are a lot of capable hosts here on LES that can accommodate that for you.

Thanked by (1)Amitz
  • MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG

Just go with a host that specifically focuses on web hosting. You'll save some headache in the future.

Thanked by (1)Amitz

ExtraVM - High RAM Specials
    Yours truly.

• @Amitz said:

Why OVH?

Because they release "fattura elettronica", aka send invoices directly to the government. Without it, accounting and VAT becomes a nightmare here in Italy.

Thanked by (1)Amitz
  • AmitzAmitz OG
    edited December 2019

What about an Italian provider with proven good services instead? It could be worth asking them if they offer "fattura elletronica", too...
    http://www.prometeus.net/site/biz-web-hosting.php

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).

• @Amitz said:
    What about an Italian provider with proven good services instead? It could be worth asking them if they offer the same service...
    http://www.prometeus.net/site/biz-web-hosting.php

The 200GB of the OVH plan will be useful to me. 15GB is not enough for what i need to do...

Thanked by (1)Amitz
  • AmitzAmitz OG
    edited December 2019

Apologies, I did not pay attention to the disk allocation at Prometeus...

• mfsmfs OG
    edited December 2019

If you're concerned about the Italian compulsory fattura elettronica, shellrent has some plans with "unlimited" space and traffic. It seems that most of their servers are rented with OVH, anyway they are supposed to have something in MIX-it too. They're Italian and invoices land in my postecert through agenzia delle entrate without issues. I don't use them for anything hosting-related, they're just one of the few DNSSEC-capable providers registered at NIC.it.

P.S. if you pay with Paypal or Satispay, additional fees apply. Wire transfer, Google Pay, Apple Pay and credit cards are accepted
    P.P.S. also hire an accountant, you're not supposed to deal with that shit (I'd rather be dead) oh gosh Hetzner does not send invoices to Agenzia delle Entrate because Italy has a completely fucked up system, what can I do? no worries, the fucking accountant will juggle all that shit

• Used them many years ago and they were fine, lots of resources were available and could be (ab)used for the price I paid.

Exactly as @Amitz has told you:

Amitz said: I am sure it works great most of the time, like all OVH services. Until shit hits the fan and you need them.

You should consider if shit is very likely to hit the fan for shared hosting service. I'd go for it if those 250GB are needed, no one more reliable than them is going to offer you a similar deal.

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek
  • OVH has shared hosting? Never knew that and I've been using them for good 4 years now.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• @foxone said:
    The 200GB of the OVH plan will be useful to me. 15GB is not enough for what i need to do...

Aruba has this fattura elettronica as well (being an Italian company). They offer 'unlimited' webspace (database has storage limitations though). https://hosting.aruba.it/

• Please don't suggest Aruba. Ever.
    I know that you have heard of those old magical 1€ promos on arubacloud.
    But no. Really. That's the first company anyone minimally conscious in Italy would avoid. I'm pretty sure OP knows them already...
    I'd rather go with OVH, and I wouldn't go with OVH.

• I've had 2 virtual servers at Aruba Cloud (one in DE, one in UK) and never experienced any problems actually. Contacted support once and the problem was swiftly taken care of. But I understand your mileage may vary?

No other options in Italy, @mfs?

• mfsmfs OG
    edited December 2019

debaser said: one in DE, one in UK)

well, those were partner DCs (and their cloud dept. is kept apart from everything else. Consider that you won't even have a chance to add IPv6 on their dedicated servers...) They offer a lot of services to the Public Administration and they thrive in the certs dept (not just Actalis, there are quite a few very peculiar services needed to interact with Italian's bureaucracy and they're the among the main contenders in pretty much any public procurement)

debaser said: No other options

Prometeus takes advantage of one of the most prem upstream providers in the most prem DC in Italy. Their larger BIZ package for webhosting shows "50 GB" but I'd try to open a ticket at sales anyway
    Businesses may contact Irideos (a recent merge from multiple TLCs in northern Italy) but there's no public listing for puny humans (if you can get a quote, they're good)
    Fastweb's DC ( server.it ) in Milan is pretty good, even if they don't offer to the consumers dedis @ 1Gbps. They have a shared hosting offer, 3,33€/month for 100 GB. Still not 250...
    Seflow is, well, Seflow. The CEO Matteo has displayed really... poor PR techniques in pretty much any forum he visited (not only English-speaking ones). They started offering some shared hosting but I wonder who'll buy that.
    Seeweb is prem, but you'd be better paying with someone else's wallet.
    Tophost uses Seeweb's premises (still in MIX-IT), prem infra but your host will be shared with 1000+ domains. Still snappy. Their larger shared hosting is 50GB, so no deal for OP.
    Noamweb isn't located in the same area of the other major players, yet it's quite old and well-renowned. Still their larger shared hosting is 20GB, no deal for OP.
    There's Netsons. They also don't play in the same area of the other major players, they have a shared hosting @ 80€/year for 500GB of space. Would probably fit OP's request. They also become Cloudflare's partners IIRC. They started in the free hosting dept. (along with the more famous altervista) and now they're good. Not prem, but good.

I have or had business with all of the above, except noamweb.

Thanked by (2)Amitz debaser
  • Aruba is the official support of phishers and any kind of scammers. They ignore any abuse email or calls, and will happily keep up your script so you can keep stealing those credit cards with a nice certificate from Actalis S.p.a (yes! the same company that signs the certificate of the new Italian ID and health insurance smartcards!)

Thanked by (1)mfs
  • FHRFHR Hosting ProviderOG

I've used OVH's shared hosting before. It's fine, but don't expect blazing fast.

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek

SkylonHost.com High Bandwidth European Cloud KVM | AS202297

• OVH is good.... But don't expect anything else than that. Their panel - the old one, and worse even the new one - is UNUSABLE, and quite lacks many feature. Their support team is never around, and anyway doesn't know much.

I have some customers there... If you don't want to understand, improve, optimize, etc.... you'll be ok :\

• I just bought some BIZ plans from prometeus.net, 5€/m is okay and i'll get another storage server when i need it.

Thanked by (2)mfs Amitz
  • NeoonNeoon OG
    edited December 2019

If you choose shared hosting in general, you have chosen the wrong religion.
    May the VPS be with you, AMEN.

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek
  • Update, Prometeus hosting arrived. It looks like it's a dedicated IP (nice!). It works pretty well for what it is, and it's already way faster than the older Aruba host.

@Neoon said:
    If you choose shared hosting in general, you have chosen the wrong religion.
    May the VPS be with you, AMEN.

I will migrate to a vps + static website asap, this is just a filler