How reliable is OneProvider? Feedback and stories

isogenyisogeny OG
edited December 2019 in General

OneProvider currently have their Cyber Monday week deals going on. I'm looking at grabbing one of their E3s since they're dirt cheap, but given their reputation I'm hesitant to pull the trigger.

I don't expect to receive decent support and I don't mind that they're a reseller of Online. What concerns me the most is that they might take days to reboot a server or replace a dead drive (do they even do it for free?). I've also heard that they ship barely functional drives.

There's still some time before their sales end, so if you've had any experience dealing with them I'd be glad to know. Both negative and positive feedback.

Edit: tagging @mikho and @nullnothere since they posted about OP in the flash deals thread.

Thanked by (1)WebHostingDomain

Comments

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

When looking at service as a whole they are guaranteed to be worse than any of the individual companies selling the servers via them, so if adding delay in to support is worth $3 p/month to you then they are ideal.

"they" don't replace or pick any of the drives themselves so that is likely a location specific issue.

Thanked by (1)WSS

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• tgltgl OG
    edited December 2019

support sucks, but have been using a dedi in amsterdam for a few months and its working well

servers are second hand, mine was 3 years old (atom)

• WSSWSS OGRetired

To say they were horrible would be to admit I wasted $15 on them trying to get a working budget machine. After two weeks and no bootable box, I wrote off the box and didn't even bother trying to get a refund because I wanted absolutely nothing else to do with them.

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• They have done some fairly scammy things in the past. In the past they first offered VPS services through their weird shitty panel. Their services got so bad, they just randomly started terminating customers services and then later stopped VPS. Then they started pushing mainly resold dedicated servers and their customer support never improved from the days of their VPS offerings where if you do get a reply its barely competent enough to be considered one.

The only real reason I could see to go through them is if they have some specific tier of server on the low end you can't get else where but just gotta have, with the understanding there is pretty much no support and you will be responsible for setting it up, if you can't do that, you might as well let it expire and move on, because they won't be helping you. That, or possibly because the direct provider has either blacklisted you or requested ID and denied you an account. Mostly why they exist is this latter reason as they seemed to let through most people the other providers would turn away. In that case, then they may be your only option for renting on those networks.

TL:DR:
    Stay away, there are many many better providers out there to deal with. Unless you are skilled with setting up unmanaged servers then you may want to stay clear and you may end up with garbage old hardware with failing drives and hardware issues that never gets resolved.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by (2)WSS WebHostingDomain

Have an Allwinner H3 device? Android? Check out H3Droid! | Lichee Pi Zero - The 6$ SBC | #SYSarm - Get It! | Atomic Pi - $35 x86 SBC
    20+ Years IT Experience in Linux/Windows Hosting, Administration and Development

• Not a fan, then. ;)
    I switched out my SYS-arm for a cheapo Scaleway and touch wood, it's paying off so far. Luck of the draw down here at the bottom.

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• @isogeny said: Both negative and positive feedback.

I have a small Atom with them (C2350) and I've not really had to depend on them for anything. From what I know their support isn't great either - so as long as you can manage on your own I think they're worth the reduced price (esp. for anything non-critical). If something fails, then plan for a longer-than-typical turn around time to fix - likely it'll still be worth the reduced price as long as your expectations are appropriate.

Don't depend on anything from them including IPMI.