Quick Hetzner Question

SkanderSkander OG
edited July 7 in Help

Howdy, quick question if someone tried to do this before me.

Is it possible to have the Primary IP of a Hetzner Cloud server turned into a floating IP or reassigned (swapped) with another Hetzner Cloud server? (IPv4 & IPv6)

I can't downsize a server (storage size mismatch, stuck on higher tiers oops) and would /really/ not want to have to change IPs since it's also running a small mailserver.

Thought I'd ask here before annoying their support.

Thanks a bunch.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Comments

  • I created cloud vps for one hour every day and then destroyed it, the next day I create new cloud vps on the same dc, the IP still same.. I am doing this for about 2 months with same ip address..

    Then I stop this process for a week, then create another cloud vps, but it have different ip address..

    Thanked by (1)Skander

    A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
    Currently using VPS from BuyVM, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, HostSailor, HostSolutions, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

  • SkanderSkander OG
    edited July 7

    @chocolateshirt said:
    I created cloud vps for one hour every day and then destroyed it, the next day I create new cloud vps on the same dc, the IP still same.. I am doing this for about 2 months with same ip address..

    Then I stop this process for a week, then create another cloud vps, but it have different ip address..

    Thanks, that sounds nice, but I want to confirm if this is repeatable before I attempt it. Might be able to take a snapshot, delete the server, then spin up another one from the snapshot (lower tier) and hopefully the same IP? It would be great if it actually works.

    This server is 8 months old, so I don't know if the IP will be rotated the same way.

  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

    @Skander said: would /really/ not want to have to change IPs since it's also running a small mailserver.

    Hi @Skander!

    Maybe spin up the smaller VM, install your mailserver as mx2.example.com, and run some deliverability tests?

    I bet two tortillas that you won't see much difference in deliverability beyond that you probably will have to ask the nice folks at AT&T to unblock your new IP.

    If anybody can point me to evidence that changing one non-blocklisted sending IP to another non-blocklisted sending IP significantly effects deliverability from a small system, I'd love to see that evidence.

    Best wishes and kindest regards from New York City and Mexico! :)

    Thanked by (1)Skander

    Tom, not Oles. Happy New York City guy visiting in Mexico!
    Purveyor of Fast-as-Metal LXC and KVM VPSes!

  • @Not_Oles said:

    @Skander said: would /really/ not want to have to change IPs since it's also running a small mailserver.

    Hi @Skander!

    Maybe spin up the smaller VM, install your mailserver as mx2.example.com, and run some deliverability tests?

    I bet two tortillas that you won't see much difference in deliverability beyond that you probably will have to ask the nice folks at AT&T to unblock your new IP.

    If anybody can point me to evidence that changing one non-blocklisted sending IP to another non-blocklisted sending IP significantly effects deliverability from a small system, I'd love to see that evidence.

    Best wishes and kindest regards from New York City and Mexico! :)

    Sorry for the late reply - I really appreciate you taking the time to help.
    I guess you're right, I would just need to go through the whole 'get a letter from Hetzner and then email Microsoft' routine so that specific IP isn't blacklisted for outlook/365 and I'll be good to go.

    Regards from Doha, Qatar and Tunis, Tunisia :)

    Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Hosting ProviderOG

    Sorry that there was no response from us about this earlier. If you haven't already tried the suggestion here, go ahead and write a support request via Cloud Console -- it's not a bother to answer questions like this. I would answer it myself, but I am not confident that I have the right answer. --Katie

    Thanked by (2)Skander Not_Oles

    We're Katie and Helena and we'll do our best to answer questions you have about Hetzner Online. We and not our employer are responsible for any horrible puns and dated cultural references.

Sign In or Register to comment.