What are the general things/setup that you do after getting a VPS/Dedicated server?

13»

Comments

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@poisson said:
    I normally do this as well:

Fucking Moors.

Thanked by (1)poisson

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• @havoc said:
    Right so uptime speaks German. The rest are well versed in Hollywood's idea of evil German villain

Ich spreche auch ein bisschen Deutsch. Ich habe es fünf Jahre lang am Gymnasium studiert. Es ist für mich schwieriger als früher, weil ich es nicht oft benutze.

So yeah, anyone who doesn’t understand knows where to find Google Translate. Anyone who does will see that it’s a bit rusty, I know the words but how do you make them into a sentence?

The idea of blinkenlights is of course that it is German how Hollywood sees it.

• DewlanceDewlance Hosting ProviderOG
    edited January 2020
    1. Change SSH Port.
    2. Restrict SSH Port or any auth port to your IPs only using firewall.
    3. Enable Key based login, Disable password auth on SSH.

4. Configure firewall to block IP on failed attempts.

(Note: I change SSH port because of sometimes we need to disable firewall for some reason like your billing software is unable to connect to your site).

Dewlance - Affordable Shared/Reseller/Master Reseller Hosting
    WHMCS Addon - DemoTiger Video KB - Tutorial Videos for Hosting Providers.

• I add "@reboot sleep 1; reboot" to my crontab. Fun game of catch the server.

Thanked by (4)ouvoun skorous localhost WSS

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

I like to change the passwords making them so convoluted and difficult that by the time I try to get logged in via IPMI, it's already timed out on me.

Thanked by (2)FlamingSpaceJunk evnix

1. Update
    2. Install nano
    3. Change SSH port
    4. root@ssh only without-password
    Thanked by (1)evnix
  • @debaser said:

@havoc said:
    Right so uptime speaks German. The rest are well versed in Hollywood's idea of evil German villain

Ich spreche auch ein bisschen Deutsch. Ich habe es fünf Jahre lang am Gymnasium studiert. Es ist für mich schwieriger als früher, weil ich es nicht oft benutze.

So yeah, anyone who doesn’t understand knows where to find Google Translate. Anyone who does will see that it’s a bit rusty, I know the words but how do you make them into a sentence?

The idea of blinkenlights is of course that it is German how Hollywood sees it.

Please don't use google translator. It's okay for short sentences or if you want to understand the general meaning. But Deepl is so much more better (another good work of german 'engineering')

https://www.deepl.com/translator

There are multiple languages available. But German/English and vice versa got the best results. You can even use it for business related translations.

Thanked by (2)FlamingSpaceJunk uptime
  • WSSWSS OGRetired

Du hast einen schönen Hintern.

Thanked by (3)uptime Amitz Unixfy

• debaserdebaser OG
    edited January 2020

@blackjack4494 said:
    Please don't use google translator. It's okay for short sentences or if you want to understand the general meaning. But Deepl is so much more better (another good work of german 'engineering')

I've written this myself though. No Translate involved. Clearly I should practice it some more I guess. :#

@WSS said:
    Du hast einen schönen Hintern.

Mit deinem Schmutzfinger.

Thanked by (2)Amitz WSS
  • I had the use google translate Deepl to understand that.

Squats are the new Push-ups

• Ich sprecht Deutsch nicht, I sprache nur das wort das Rammstein Singt!! ???

• Ein virtueller privater Server brennt. Rammstein

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@Amitz said:
    Ein virtueller privater Server brennt. Rammstein

Thanked by (2)uptime Amitz

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

@evnix said:

Ich sprecht Deutsch nicht, I sprache nur das wort das Rammstein Singt!!

Be glad. All the Rammstein lyrics are a little sketch so understanding it doesn't necessarily improve the song

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@havoc said:

@evnix said:

Ich sprecht Deutsch nicht, I sprache nur das wort das Rammstein Singt!!

Be glad. All the Rammstein lyrics are a little sketch so understanding it doesn't necessarily improve the song

..but that's the whole point?

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

@WSS said: but that's the whole point?

Up to a point. Some of it def makes me uncomfortable