Solus.io Install Docs!?

SagnikSSagnikS Hosting ProviderOG

Not sure if this is something people are already familiar with, or this is me just seeing it for the first time, but this does seem interesting: https://docs.solus.io/quick-start/
The guide seems to work pretty well :open_mouth:

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Hosting ProviderOG

Yep, it exists.

Just bear in mind that’s a technical preview

• LeeLee OG
    edited February 2020

When are they predicting it will be released?

• MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG
    edited February 2020

@Lee On Twitter they said Monday, don't know what it refers to specifically.

ExtraVM - High RAM Specials
    Yours truly.

• For the technical preview, I meant a finished product ready for use.

• FranciscoFrancisco Hosting ProviderOG

@Lee said:
    For the technical preview, I meant a finished product ready for use.

it's 5EUR per core boss.

You're spending 40EUR/month to license an 8c/16t core box.

Francisco

Thanked by (3)Lee MikeA WSS
  • MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG

@Francisco said:

@Lee said:

it's 5EUR per core boss.

Francisco

Only $86 USD to run Solus on my 3950X! What an excellent price!

Thanked by (3)Francisco Decicus poisson

ExtraVM - High RAM Specials
    Yours truly.

• @Francisco said: it's 5EUR per core boss.

Francisco

So I guess it depends on whether it will offer enough value to justify that. Must be way cheaper than something like onapp? Although no idea what their pricing is now.

• @Francisco said:

@Lee said:

it's 5EUR per core boss.

Francisco

That's a bummer, current pricing is/was 10$ per Node.
    Which is going to kill all cheap SolusVM on LET.

@Neoon said:

@Francisco said:

@Lee said:

it's 5EUR per core boss.

Francisco

That was expected, dev time is not cheap. Plus they need to make up what they paid for the brand..

• @Clouvider said:

@Neoon said:

@Francisco said:

@Lee said:

it's 5EUR per core boss.

Francisco

That was expected, dev time is not cheap. Plus they need to make up what they paid for the brand..

Well, but you should keep in mind, that you creating something, which you can sell in theory infinite licenses which pay the same amount. Its not like you selling bananas and you need to take care to restock them.

Depending where they code yes, can be expensive or can be cheap, who knows if they outsourced coding for certain tasks since they got purchased.

After all, I do not think that justifies 5$ per Core, especially AMD gonna be priceless, with that pricetag.

• @Neoon said: Well, but you should keep in mind, that you creating something, which you can sell in theory infinite licenses which pay the same amount. Its not like you selling bananas and you need to take care to restock them.

This! While I understand the cost of support and maintenance, once rolled out and properly documented, it shouldn't be that costly to justify a 100-500% price increase.

• LeeLee OG
    edited February 2020

@seriesn said: This! While I understand the cost of support and maintenance, once rolled out and properly documented, it shouldn't be that costly to justify a 100-500% price increase.

It's like cPanel though, they are not going to provide you with the software that does the bulk of the work for you at a price that allows you to sell services in bulk at a $1. They are moving away from that, accept it.

• NeoonNeoon OG
    edited February 2020

@seriesn said:

@Neoon said: Well, but you should keep in mind, that you creating something, which you can sell in theory infinite licenses which pay the same amount. Its not like you selling bananas and you need to take care to restock them.

This! While I understand the cost of support and maintenance, once rolled out and properly documented, it shouldn't be that costly to justify a 100-500% price increase.

Yea you got a base cost for dev + support, which goes higher depending on the amount of costumers for support etc but not exponentially like if you going to sell bananas.
    But there is no real additional cost per license sold or afford.

So after all with that pricing, there is going to be a big profit margin.

Having 100 machines with 40$ each, easily pays for 1-2 dev job's or even more depending on vage.

@Neoon said:

@seriesn said:

@Neoon said: Well, but you should keep in mind, that you creating something, which you can sell in theory infinite licenses which pay the same amount. Its not like you selling bananas and you need to take care to restock them.

Yea you got a base cost for dev + support, which goes higher depending on the amount of costumers for support etc but not exponentially like if you going to sell bananas.

Having 100 machines with 40$ each, easily pays for 1-2 dev job's or even more depending on vage.

Yes, but I guess that’s the price you need to pay for not having the risk and need to maintain devs yourself directly. Naturally you can write in house and it will pay for itself in the long run at scale.

• @Clouvider said:

@Neoon said:

@seriesn said:

Yes, but I guess that’s the price you need to pay for not having the risk and need to maintain devs yourself directly. Naturally you can write in house and it will pay for itself in the long run at scale.

Well, Plesk is a big company, of course they have invested money into this project, no doubt.
    But as you can see, SolusVM is quite successful, so I would not say that they go with a huge risk after all.

If it would be a new or small company, it would be a completely different game.
    There goes all or nothing but here its not the case.

And if that goes boom, what I do not think it will, they just swap the dev's back to other stuff.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

Butts

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

edited February 2020

@Neoon said:

@Clouvider said:

@Neoon said:

@seriesn said:

Well, Plesk is a big company, of course they have invested money into this project, no doubt.
    But as you can see, SolusVM is quite successful, so I would not say that they go with a huge risk after all.

If it would be a new or small company, it would be a completely different game.
    There goes all or nothing but here its not the case.

And if that goes boom, what I do not think it will, they just swap the dev's back to other stuff.

I’m not saying it’s a huge risk to them, it’s a risk to any random Joes running hosting business if they wanted to replicate it with own coders the risk is high, Joe wants to avoid them - Joe pays Solus. Joe has a scale, money and high risk appetite - Joe hires own team and does it in house, maybe saving money in the long run if enough hundreds of cores involved.

No Joes were harmed in the process of writing this post

Thanked by (1)seriesn