solus.io 2020 road map released.

Interesting that it is going to have container and I assume by 'more' docker support.

Link in case anyone missed it: https://www.solus.io/our-roadmap-for-2020/

Thought I would post a new one as the pricing one is getting a bit off topic.

super brief overview:

• Support for Predefined Applications
  • Cloud-init
  • WHMCS Integration
  • OpenVZ Support
  • Migration Tools

Also not sure what to think about the last paragraph:

Of course existing SolusVM customers can continue to use the product and it will still be supported. But we strongly recommend to upgrade to SolusIO as soon as possible to boost your business with our smart solution!

https://inceptionhosting.com
Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

Thanked by (1)Lee
Tagged:

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG

@AnthonySmith said:
    Also not sure what to think about the last paragraph:

Of course existing SolusVM customers can continue to use the product and it will still be supported. But we strongly recommend to upgrade to SolusIO as soon as possible to boost your business with our smart solution!

I have my opinions, but I decided to not post it for the sake of sanity.

Thanked by (1)InceptionHosting

ExtraVM - High RAM Specials
    Yours truly.

• LeeLee OG
    edited February 2020

@AnthonySmith said: Also not sure what to think about the last paragraph:

I mean if everyone takes off their tin-foil hat (who am I kidding, its LEST after all) it is nothing more than marketing. Sure stay on SVM1 but we want you to migrate, why wouldn't we? or any other business if they were in the same position.

• Docker Support gonna be, a pre made image, so now 100% can install SolusIO with a one liner when docker is installed.
    Which lowers the entry point of offering vps's.

Thanked by (1)Mason
  • InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@Lee said: I mean if everyone takes off their tin-foil hat (who am I kidding, its LEST after all) it is nothing more than marketing. Sure stay on SVM1 but we want you to migrate, why wouldn't we?

Yeah, I am inclined to just think its optimistic marketing nothing more, I just hope of they do intend to shut down v1 they are at least transparent about it. the thing that struck the biggest nerve with me when the cPanel price hike happened was the lack of any real notice which quite literally shut down small businesses and lost people their livelihood essentially over night.

• LeeLee OG
    edited February 2020

@AnthonySmith said: the thing that struck the biggest nerve with me when the cPanel price hike happened was the lack of any real notice which quite literally shut down small businesses and lost people their livelihood essentially over night.

I believe the difference is clear in that respect.

With cPanel there were no alternatives, where were you going to go? DirectAdmin was the only real option, and it's still not a great option, the price makes it popular. People were going to be too suspicious of Plesk which in my view is better than DirectAdmin. So it was calculated, the majority were put in a no option position and had to suck it up. The loss from those that were benefitting from running VPS licenced cPanel servers on a dedicated, well, form your own view. In the end, their overall loss would be small in comparison to the gains from the customers they knew were not going anywhere.

Solus.io is a big step away from SVM1 both in terms of functionality and price. They know, well Phil more than any of them will know that solus.io will migrate a relatively small portion of existing SVM1 customers and I suspect gain more new customers. Probably see a group of hybrids that won't totally drop SVM1 whilst also testing out solus.io.

The majority of existing users won't be able to afford the commitment, after all the software is one thing, as you know the hardware commitment is something else, Solus.io is not going to work well by moving all your 4/8s to it. That is why they will maintain SVM1 to prevent other panels which unlike the cPanel situation, could step in and fill the gap if they dropped it.

• FranciscoFrancisco Hosting ProviderOG

SVM1's price has to go up to pay for all of the development they've had to do.

Short of Phill coming out and saying "Not gonna happen, not gonna do it", I would bank on it.

Francisco

• @Lee said:
    With cPanel there were no alternatives, where were you going to go? DirectAdmin was the only real option, and it's still not a great option.

What do you think it lacks both from a provider & user's point of view?

Recommend: SmallWeb|BuyVM|Linode|RamNode

@Francisco said:
    SVM1's price has to go up to pay for all of the development they've had to do.

Short of Phill coming out and saying "Not gonna happen, not gonna do it", I would bank on it.

Francisco

You don’t think that .io will want to pay its own rent? Really there has only been minimal updates on v1 since they bought it.

• vserversitevserversite Hosting ProviderOG

I think more, that solus.io will be for bigger installations, like cloud products. The Price not acceptable for small installation. But, we dont have an problem with it. v1 is good for small VPS. When docker work fine, it can be an great tool for much services.

But when Solus will shutdown all of v1, then can be the dead - its my opinion.

• @AnthonySmith said: You don’t think that .io will want to pay its own rent? Really there has only been minimal updates on v1 since they bought it.

I think it will but at the same time there is opportunity for them to increase the price of SVM1, I can't remember if in the last, what, decade if it was ever lower than $10. It does seem likely they will now raise the price. Maybe not immediately but soon for sure.

edited February 2020

@vserversite said:
    I think more, that solus.io will be for bigger installations, like cloud products. The Price not acceptable for small installation. But, we dont have an problem with it. v1 is good for small VPS. When docker work fine, it can be an great tool for much services.

But when Solus will shutdown all of v1, then can be the dead - its my opinion.

The reality is that to offer services (VPS) with solusio on a monthly basis when you take in to account the costs of providing those services i.e. IP costs, billing License fee's, payment gateway fee's and now solus.io fee's broken down on a per VPS at node capacity average it is going to cost between $2.50 and $3.50 just to provide a VPS and that is before pre tax profit, salary etc.

This essentially means that hosts using solus.io will still not be able to compete on price with DO/Vultr/hetzner cloud/OVH Cloud and from what i have seen so far from the preview solus.io does not compete on features either.

That essentially boils down to being able to compete on service only, which actually takes the panel out of the equation all together as the panel does not do anything for the service, network level etc.

Anyway that is just a random stream of thought out of my mind, maybe they will give us an edge over the competition mentioned above or maybe they are only interested in the OnApp market which means they still have a way to go in terms of feature sets.

Again it is important to remember this is only a preview but if even half of what i have said above is correct then significant development is still required if they want to attract any of the v1 customers for any meaningful period of time.

The danger being is that it moves v1 customers in to a position whereby they build a sustainable customer base at a decent margin through service quality and higher prices but the user experience never truly exceeds the competition mentioned so they put themselves in a stepping stone position to move people to OnApp or the customers fail to gain enough business to justify the potential huge price tag of solus.io and they move back to v1/virtualizor and that would be a real back fire either way.

They need to get the product in to the Goldilocks zone as right now the balance feels wrong :)

Anyway excited to see whats next, I really don't think v1 is going anywhere.

@Lee said: I think it will but at the same time there is opportunity for them to increase the price of SVM1, I can't remember if in the last, what, decade if it was ever lower than $10. It does seem likely they will now raise the price. Maybe not immediately but soon for sure.

v1 is too cheap tbh, they could get away with a price raise that would not upset to many people.