Has anyone tried Checkmk monitoring solution?

YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

Just found out about Checkmk, which comes with a free plan that allows you to monitor 25 hosts for free. You can, however, also roll their RAW edition, which is free and open source: https://checkmk.com/product/editions
Overall, it includes way more stats than HetrixTools and is probably something rather compared to the likes of Netdata. I haven't used Netdata in a while, so can't really compare it, but perhaps someone here has tried Checkmk already?

Headquarters are in Germany, apparently and they do have an office in Atlanta, it seems.

Thanked by (3)ehab skorous FrankZ

Comments

• I use it and freaking love it. I’m hosting it myself so I can’t speak to the hosted service.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • iandkiandk Hosting ProviderOG

CheckMK is great, I've been using it for quite a few years

Thanked by (1)Ympker

AMD EPYC / NVMe / 10GBPs KVM in Frankfurt - https://v6node.com
    Looking for an unbeatable AMD EPYC Baremetal Server in Frankfurt? Drop me a PM

• good find... i haven't see this before.

Thanks for sharing

Thanked by (3)Ympker skorous FrankZ
  • edited May 2023

This look so much complex. I use netdata and is easy to setup and their free tier is pretty enough for most.

• @sreekanth850 said:
    This look so much complex. I use netdata and is easy to setup and their free tier is pretty enough for most.

completely different product

• edited May 2023

@bdl said:

@sreekanth850 said:

I thought check mk is for infrastructure monitoring, sorry if its not. I feel its complex after going through their documentation and configuration.

• bdlbdl OG
    edited May 2023

@sreekanth850 said:

@bdl said:

@sreekanth850 said:

I thought check mk is for infrastructure monitoring, sorry if its not. I feel its complex after going through their documentation and configuration.

It's more granular and customisable than Netdata, I would say more like Nagios (from memory, in the old days it was forked from Nagios?)

• edited May 2023

@bdl said:

@sreekanth850 said:

@bdl said:

@sreekanth850 said:

It's more granular and customisable than Netdata, I would say more like Nagios (from memory, in the old days it was forked from Nagios?)

mm, i checked their documentation and it seems so complex so left it without trying out.

• The beginning of Checkmk forked from Nagios like 20 years ago, so if you want to compare it with something I would say Nagios, Icinga or OP5 is closest. I think the Checkmk Raw Edition actually still runs the Nagios core, its only the Enterprise editions that runs the closed source Checkmk core.
    It's a nice product for sure but all the advantages it has are only available in payed editions.

• @sreekanth850 said:

@bdl said:

@sreekanth850 said:

@bdl said:

@sreekanth850 said:

mm, i checked their documentation and it seems so complex so left it without trying out.

If you had to pick one word to describe it, what would it be?

• @skorous said:

I would say powerful.
    Powerful like in a landmine. It can be extremely effective when used correctly, but if you don't know what you are doing it will be a mess.

Thanked by (2)bdl skorous
  • @rcy026 said:

@skorous said:

I would say powerful.
    Powerful like in a landmine. It can be extremely effective when used correctly, but if you don't know what you are doing it will be a mess.

I like that analogy! :)

• @rcy026 said:

@skorous said:

I would say powerful.

( chuckle ) That was tongue in cheek since he used 'complex' three times in four sentences.

Would be curious what you meant by, "all the advantages it has are only available in payed editions" though. I don't know anything about the product but so real insight would be useful.

• @skorous said:

@sreekanth850 said:

@bdl said:

@sreekanth850 said:

@bdl said:

@sreekanth850 said:

If you want basic monitoring, i will say netdata is enough. Or else Prometheus

@skorous said: If you had to pick one word to describe it, what would it be?

I had tried Zabbix, and Netdata. Will choose Netdata as it serves my requirement and easy to configure. Their free tier serve most of my purpose.

• @skorous said:

@rcy026 said:

@skorous said:

I would say powerful.

( chuckle ) That was tongue in cheek since he used 'complex' three times in four sentences.

Would be curious what you meant by, "all the advantages it has are only available in payed editions" though. I don't know anything about the product but so real insight would be useful.

It's been a few years since I looked at it, but atleast then the free version was basically a Nagios clone. The new kernel with microscheduling, all the fancy dashboards and graphs and stuff only came with the paid versions. Have not look at it lately so it might have changed.

I did not mean to make it sound like it's a bad product in any way, even the free version can hold it's own against most other free software out there. I've been running Nagios since it was called Netsaint, I speak Icinga in my sleep and OP5 actually calls me for help, but if I were to setup a monitoring environment today Checkmk would definitely be a contender.

Thanked by (1)skorous