All Things WordPress Discussions

Comments

• edited February 2021

GeneratePress recently announced the Pro version 2.0 (Theme Builder). It lets you use dynamic data (post title, images, meta, etc.) anywhere you want.

I've been testing it and its awesome since I can create my own blog grid with GeneratePress PRO and GenerateBlocks. It's all now dynamic and the style no longer depends on the customizer (which is really limited in terms of styling and how custom you can make a blog grid or else).

You can find all this stuff on the announcement page: https://generatepress.com/introducing-the-gp-theme-builder/

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@jahrinc said:
    GeneratePress recently announced the Pro version 2.0 (Theme Builder). It lets you use dynamic data (post title, images, meta, etc.) anywhere you want.

I've been testing it and its awesome since I can create my own blog grid with GeneratePress PRO and GenerateBlocks. It's all now dynamic and the style no longer depends on the customizer (which is really limited in terms of styling and how custom you can make a blog grid or else).

You can find all this stuff on the announcement page: https://generatepress.com/introducing-the-gp-theme-builder/

Damn. This looks dope.

• Today was a good day. I figured out how to properly integrate Wordpress header and footer.

Blank is an amazing theme.

Thanked by (2)Ympker chocolateshirt
  • installed admintwentytwenty free plugin.
    the admin gui feel faster than the old original one.

technically, how to measure it is actually faster or the same?

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@verd said:
    installed admintwentytwenty free plugin.
    the admin gui feel faster than the old original one.

technically, how to measure it is actually faster or the same?

For the back-end: press F12 - then go to the Network tab. It will show page load times (total, and for each element).
    For the front-end: my website speed testing method(s). I suppose others will have even better ideas, but that's what I came up with, using the free tools that are idiot-friendly.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @bikegremlin said:

For the back-end: press F12 - then go to the Network tab. It will show page load times (total, and for each element).
    For the front-end: my website speed testing method(s). I suppose others will have even better ideas, but that's what I came up with, using the free tools that are idiot-friendly.

>

Thank you, forgot this simple way.

I was thinking about what files involved, how to many queries executed and how long each of them processed.

edited March 2021

Is there a (simple?) way to have comments pages show only comments (perhaps with a link to the original article), without showing the full article on top, for every comment page?
    Pages like this one.
    I'd like to not have the entire article shown above. Perhaps only a snippet, with a link to the full article.

The comments contain very useful questions and replies. I want to be able to find these when googling, but without causing any "duplicate content" issues, since all those pages now contain the original post(s) as well, on top of the comments.

At least until I find the time to create a (huge) FAQ page.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• Does anyone have any ideas or a provider for WordPress that allows a site to be staged 1st before anyone sees it? I was asked the question but don't really know. I am guessing the cPanel/Plesk WordPress toolkit is really the way to go?

@Lee said:
    Does anyone have any ideas or a provider for WordPress that allows a site to be staged 1st before anyone sees it? I was asked the question but don't really know. I am guessing the cPanel/Plesk WordPress toolkit is really the way to go?

Softaculous can do that. Most providers offer it.

You can set the website to not be indexed, on a qwpvisjfosfd.example.com subdomain.
    Then use Softaculous to one-click clone it to www.example.com.
    Finally, choose the Softaculous option to make the staging copy become the main site.

Thanked by (3)Lee vyas Ympker

• LeeLee OG
    edited March 2021

@bikegremlin said: You can set the website to not be indexed, on a >qwpvisjfosfd.example.com subdomain.
    Finally, choose the Softaculous option to make the staging copy become the main site.

Thanks, I will try that myself first, even that sounds a bit complex for the person asking.

edited March 2021

@Lee said:

@bikegremlin said: You can set the website to not be indexed, on a >qwpvisjfosfd.example.com subdomain.

Thanks, I will try that myself first, even that sounds a bit complex for the person asking.

They could do the reverse thing:

• Make a website on the example.com, with a one-click Softaculous install.
    • Set the website to "Discourage search engines from indexing this site" in Settings -> Reading
    • Make just one home page saying "under construction."
    • Create a subdomain in cPanel.
    • Create a staging copy of the example.com website - on the subdomain, with one-click from Softaculous.
    • Once the development is done, click the Softaculous button to "Push to live"
    Thanked by (1)Lee

• I've decided to convert all my sites where possible to Oxygen from Elementor. Page speed alone is the number one reason, would highly recommend, it's a learning curve if you're used to just page builders with no CSS experience but if you've got a bit you'll be fine.

edited March 2021

@southwest said:
    I've decided to convert all my sites where possible to Oxygen from Elementor. Page speed alone is the number one reason, would highly recommend, it's a learning curve if you're used to just page builders with no CSS experience but if you've got a bit you'll be fine.

Also currently following the Oxygen fb group. It seems like a good tool. I somehow am not sure though, weather I want to work without a WordPress theme (as Oxygen disables this). Pretty happy with LiveCanvas though :)

• @Ympker said:

@southwest said:
    I've decided to convert all my sites where possible to Oxygen from Elementor. Page speed alone is the number one reason, would highly recommend, it's a learning curve if you're used to just page builders with no CSS experience but if you've got a bit you'll be fine.

Also currently following the Oxygen fb group. It seems like a good tool. I somehow am not sure though, weather I want to work without a WordPress theme (as Oxygen disables this). Pretty happy with LiveCanvas though :)

The Facebook group has been fantastic in any support I needed in fairness, I tried live canvas a while ago but felt it was stuck in the middle of an
    identity problem, it wasn't a page builder as was missing basic elements and well if if it's just CSS and HTML etc may as well make it yourself.

I bought the agency license

Thanked by (1)Ympker
    edited March 2021

@southwest said:

@Ympker said:

@southwest said:

The Facebook group has been fantastic in any support I needed in fairness, I tried live canvas a while ago but felt it was stuck in the middle of an
    identity problem, it wasn't a page builder as was missing basic elements and well if if it's just CSS and HTML etc may as well make it yourself.

Yeah, the group appears to be very nice and helpful :)
    I love LiveCanvas because I can dip into the HTML/CSS, import bootstrap snippets from Codepen etc, style things easily and hand over to the client so they can easily edit images and text WYSWIG (which does not work with a static html site).

• @Ympker said:

@southwest said:

@Ympker said:

@southwest said:

I love LiveCanvas because I can dip into the HTML/CSS, import bootstrap snippets from Codepen etc, style things easily and hand over to the client so they can easily edit images and text WYSWIG (which does not work with a static html site).

You prob already do but have you considered using ACF?

You can still do all of that with code blocks in oxygen.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@southwest said:

@Ympker said:

@southwest said:

@Ympker said:

@southwest said:

You prob already do but have you considered using ACF?

You can still do all of that with code blocks in oxygen.

To be fair, I have not touched ACF yet. I might have a look some day, but I am using custom code blocks with LiveCanvas. I understand ACF is something similar?

Did a minor home-page re-design. I think that now it's a little more informative, and a little less ugly. :)
    Nothing smart - just bragging. :)

https://bike.bikegremlin.com/

A question, for those who aren't completely visual design-blind like I am: :)

I want to make a sort of a "standard (water) mark" for all the article cover pictures, and YouTube video cover-pictures.
    The best I could come up with is my logo in a bottom corner, on a blue background, like this:

Does that look OK?
    Any better ideas are more than welcome.

• @bikegremlin said: Does that look OK?

I find that the front wheel of the bicycle is a bit too close to the blue overlay and that (by comparison) there's too much space between the back wheel of the bicycle and the left edge of the photo. How's this for an OCD reaction? :)

Otherwise I like the photo, especially the background. :)

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin Ympker

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

@angstrom said:

@bikegremlin said: Does that look OK?

I find that the front wheel of the bicycle is a bit too close to the blue overlay and that (by comparison) there's too much space between the back wheel of the bicycle and the left edge of the photo. How's this for an OCD reaction? :)

Thanks for the feedback. :)

What about the "logo" ("watermark")?
    Does it look OK? Like: a good idea to mark cover images with such a logo?

• @bikegremlin said:

@angstrom said:

The logo as such seems okay, but I would probably try to make it smaller (less intrusive). In particular, it seems too big for this photo.

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

edited March 2021

@angstrom said:

@bikegremlin said:

@angstrom said:

The logo as such seems okay, but I would probably try to make it smaller (less intrusive). In particular, it seems too big for this photo.

Still not certain on the correct proportion (and design - colours etc).
    Considering small article cover images, as well as YouTube video covers - especially when viewed on mobile phones.
    Seriously considering making the logo take almost a 1/3 of the photo for those (all those images below are gruesome, but considering just the logo/mark).

Thanked by (1)angstrom

@bikegremlin said:
    Did a minor home-page re-design. I think that now it's a little more informative, and a little less ugly. :)
    Nothing smart - just bragging. :)

https://bike.bikegremlin.com/

A question, for those who aren't completely visual design-blind like I am: :)

I want to make a sort of a "standard (water) mark" for all the article cover pictures, and YouTube video cover-pictures.
    The best I could come up with is my logo in a bottom corner, on a blue background, like this:

Does that look OK?
    Any better ideas are more than welcome.

Lovely photo :) Otherwhisw, what @angstrom already said :P

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin angstrom
  • I like the logo in the corner (both style B and the bike one). For the website I like the bike one, although I think the logo needs to be smaller as it takes up quite a bit of the main image as @angstrom said. Maybe change the background colour to be more translucent with the logo colour being bolder (different colour to black). For YT I think it need to be bigger like it is on the bike.

Thanked by (2)angstrom bikegremlin
  • Check out the changes with WP 5.7.

https://wordpress.org/news/2021/03/esperanza/

Big focus on Gutenburg as a strong alternative to Pagebuilders like Elementor.

Squats are the new Push-ups

• And the cloudways BS continues

edited March 2021

@vyas said:
    And the cloudways BS continues

Never used the service - it's on my to-do list.
    One of the best WP developers I know, and a good man, is now working for Cloudways.
    I'd love having people like that on a tech-support call (especially if paying premium prices).

Had an interesting (at least for me) discussion in my website comments section. Directed the poster to LES, expecting more educated replies here - hadn't seen if they ever did that though.

Cloudways was on my "check out" list when I was considering a better hosting. Went with Veerotech (and they've been quite good), before taking HostMantis' "too-good-to-not-try" crazy discount (and still with them now for any "important" stuff).

Hadn't heard any complaints about them. Are they the "most-bang-for-the-buck?" Most probably not. But are they a high quality "provider?" Quotation marks because I understand they rent the "cloud infrastructure" (quotation marks again because not every option is really cloud :) ). "One" more quotation marks - just for laughs. :)

• Not saying Cloudways is bad- but the over aggressive pushing "try us" for a user with 10 visits /day smells of desperation.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

@vyas said:
    Not saying Cloudways is bad- but the over aggressive pushing "try us" for a user with 10 visits /day smells of desperation.

That's capitalism. Can't really blame them.
    Not my cup of tea in terms of marketing, or any kind of business (recommending what you know is not the optimal choice for the other party), but I'll never run a big company and become rich! :)

• @vyas said:
    Not saying Cloudways is bad- but the over aggressive pushing "try us" for a user with 10 visits /day smells of desperation.

that fb wordpress group is cesspool of marketing , in 2019 it was siteground , for 2020 gridpane now its cloudways. ive sent multiple feedback to point out such a activity and misleading tactics to the group admin but never got reply.