Looking to build a new PC? - Request your custom config here :)

YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
edited July 2020 in General

Since lately, there have been some members like @Chievo and @ndelaespada looking for help with their PC Configuration, I thought we could create a thread in which people who need help building their PC request a PC build for a certain use-case and budget and other members who feel comfortable giving advice/a build sample can chime in and help out. Thinking about @Nyr @BloomVPS @havoc and others. I am by no means an expert , but likewise I am happy to help out where I can :)

If you are providing a sample build to someone's request it would be great if you could use https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ . I think it'll be a useful tool.

If you are looking for help building a PC (Config) please use this form:

1. Are you looking to build a brand-new PC or Upgrade your old one?
If you are looking to upgrade please provide your current system details such as CPU, GPU, RAM, Motherboard etc. As many details as possible will help. You can use a tool like https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html to find out CPU/GPU/RAM in case you don't know where to look :)

2. For what will you be using your PC? Office+Browsing, Gaming, Photo-/Videoediting? Are there any specific games/software you want to make sure will work?

3. If applicable: Do you plan to play games at 1920x1080p or higher resolution? Which one? Do you want to play at 60Hz or 144Hz?
4. What monitor are you currently using? Does it support HDMI/DP/DVI/VGA? Do you want to keep it or get a new one?
5. What is your budget? Hard limit or soft limit?

6. (Optional) What country are you from? Hardware markets may differ as suggested by @Nyr
7. Is there any more you'd like to add?

Thanked by (3)beagle Chievo Not_Oles

Comments

• Nice....

too bad the shipping charges will kill it for me.
    Nice to see that Ryzen prices are half of what they sell for in India

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@vyas said:
    Nice....

too bad the shipping charges will kill it for me.
    Nice to see that Ryzen prices are half of what they sell for in India

PC Partpicker is just meant to easily provide sample builds. You can go ahead and buy the respective parts whereever you want (Amazon, MindFactory, Alternate, Ebay..) :)

Thanked by (1)vyas
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

Gives warning for CPU cooler fan mounts incompatibility, and place in the housing - which is great! :)

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

@bikegremlin said:
    Gives warning for CPU cooler fan mounts incompatibility, and place in the housing - which is great! :)

One of the reasons why I thought it'd be a good tool to provide sample builds :)

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • Different countries have vastly different hardware markets, so it is useful if whoever is interested states their country.

Thanked by (2)Chievo Ouji

@Nyr said:
    Different countries have vastly different hardware markets, so it is useful if whoever is interested states their country.

Added it to the OP :)

Thanked by (1)Chievo
  • OujiOuji OG
    edited July 2020

I'm mostly wondering if it's worth to upgrade to a Ryzen 3xxx. Right now I have a 1700 running @ 3GHz and I use two 1440p @ 75Hz.

I know my current Ryzen can go up to 3.8GHz as I've did in the past, just stopped doing it as it was my daily machine and I wasn't playing at the time, but I'm gonna go back to playing very soon.

EDIT:
    I'm gonna use a template so I can follow the rules
    CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3GHz (can OC up to 3.8GHz)
    RAM: 16GB DDR4 2933Mhz
    Storage: 480 GB SSD
    Mobo: Asus Prime-Pro x370

Looking to upgrade to either a Ryzen 7 3xxx or even Ryzen 6 3xxx

• @Ouji said:
    I'm mostly wondering if it's worth to upgrade to a Ryzen 3xxx. Right now I have a 1700 running @ 3GHz and I use two 1440p @ 75Hz.

I know my current Ryzen can go up to 3.8GHz as I've did in the past, just stopped doing it as it was my daily machine and I wasn't playing at the time, but I'm gonna go back to playing very soon.

EDIT:
    I'm gonna use a template so I can follow the rules
    CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3GHz (can OC up to 3.8GHz)
    RAM: 16GB DDR4 2933Mhz
    Storage: 480 GB SSD
    Mobo: Asus Prime-Pro x370

Looking to upgrade to either a Ryzen 7 3xxx or even Ryzen 6 3xxx

Thanked by (1)Ouji

Hey teamacc. You're a dick. (c) Jon Biloh, 2020.

edited July 2020

New, but prefer buying used hw :)

2. For what will you be using your PC? Office+Browsing, Gaming, Photo-/Videoediting? Are there any specific games/software you want to make sure will work?

The idea is to build a cheap, console-like (in size and case) mini pc based on Linux. Think something like the MSI-Trident PCs but in super cheap. Will only use it to boot it in Steam Big Picture Mode and play some casual (co-op) games that can be played with a controller. Think games that need system requirements like Stardew Valley or bubble shooter, or some good old Rayman Legends, Forager or the like. Does anyone know if XBOX Controllers for PC will work, or what to do to make them work? This is meant to be an "as cheap as can get" kinda build and I want to use it as a portable mini PC to take with on vacation, or anywhere for that matter, plug it to a TV via HDMI get my controller and play some casual games with the gf.
    Buying a slim used lenovo think centre may be an option but let's see what options there are.

Intel Atom game list: https://pastebin.com/8PtTPf2E

3. If applicable: Do you plan to play games at 1920x1080p or higher resolution? Which one? Do you want to play at 60Hz or 144Hz?

1920x1080p is fine. Will mostly be plugged to TVs in Hotels/Air BnB's and the like. At home I use my gaming rig but might plug it to my TV, too.

4. What monitor are you currently using? Does it support HDMI/DP/DVI/VGA? Do you want to keep it or get a new one?

Not relevant here.

No budget in mind. Wanna go cheap. Hope a lot can be achieved using used parts.

6. (Optional) What country are you from? Hardware markets may differ as suggested by @Nyr

Germany

Not really. I think for the case a Mini-ITX case is what would fit best for that :)
    Also: Not looking to build it fast. There's no rush. I can wait for parts to get cheaper etc.

• @Ympker said:

The idea is to build a cheap, console-like (in size and case) mini pc based on Linux. Think something like the MSI-Trident PCs but in super cheap. Will only use it to boot it in Steam Big Picture Mode and play some casual (co-op) games that can be played with a controller. Think games that need system requirements like Stardew Valley or bubble shooter, or some good old Rayman Legends, Forager or the like. Does anyone know if XBOX Controllers for PC will work, or what to do to make them work? This is meant to be an "as cheap as can get" kinda build and I want to use it as a portable mini PC to take with on vacation, or anywhere for that matter, plug it to a TV via HDMI get my controller and play some casual games with the gf.
    Buying a slim used lenovo think centre may be an option but let's see what options there are.

1920x1080p is fine. Will mostly be plugged to TVs in Hotels/Air BnB's and the like. At home I use my gaming rig but might plug it to my TV, too.

Not relevant here.

Germany

Not really. I think for the case a Mini-ITX case is what would fit best for that :)
    Also: Not looking to build it fast. There's no rush. I can wait for parts to get cheaper etc.

Just for reference (it's most likely way over your budget), you could get an asrock deskmini a300, add a ryzen 3 3200g, 8gb of sodimm memory and a 250gb m2 ssd for a total of 320 euro (all new parts) for a system that could probably run fortnite on full hd on low. Upgrade to 3400g for slightly more performance, or wait for the 4000g series for even more (cpu) performance.

@teamacc said:

@Ympker said:

Not relevant here.

Germany

Just for reference (it's most likely way over your budget), you could get an asrock deskmini a300, add a ryzen 3 3200g, 8gb of sodimm memory and a 250gb m2 ssd for a total of 320 euro (all new parts) for a system that could probably run fortnite on full hd on low. Upgrade to 3400g for slightly more performance, or wait for the 4000g series for even more (cpu) performance.

Way over the Budget but thanks for the recommendation. Looking to play really simple games.. most of which an Atom Z**** would run, even :)

• @Ympker said:

@teamacc said:

@Ympker said:

Not relevant here.

Germany

Way over the Budget but thanks for the recommendation. Looking to play really simple games.. most of which an Atom Z**** would run, even :)

Keep in mind that some of those atoms are not getting win10 updates due to intel derping up the drivers/fucking up the 64bit support or something.

Buy an old laptop, remove the screen (optional), easy carry device.

Thanked by (2)Ympker vimalware

@teamacc said:

@Ympker said:

@teamacc said:

@Ympker said:

Not relevant here.

Germany

Keep in mind that some of those atoms are not getting win10 updates due to intel derping up the drivers/fucking up the 64bit support or something.

Buy an old laptop, remove the screen (optional), easy carry device.

Looking to run Linux on it :) Might also just buy a used small-ish lenovo thinkcentre, htpc, beelink or something like that :D