JetBackup 5 howto move / restore account on other server

Hi!
I'm pretty sure I'm just missing something obvious, but thought I'd just ask here, as it might be useful for others looking for the same info:

I just downloaded a manual account backup as a regular shared host user. The system/server runs JetBackup 5 on DirectAdmin.

Now the plan was to restore this backup on another shared host.
On this DirectAdmin host I'm a reseller, so I assumed I should create the user, and then use JetBackup as the user to restore the content from the backup.

But I'm struggling to figure out where I can upload or point JetBackup to my .tar.gz file ...
Reading and searching docs I only see how to restore jobs from the list of indexed jobs on this host. (Which is zero, since I just created the user.)

Hopefully @JetApps or some other kind soul can point me in the right direction, enlighten me as to which obvious step/choice I'm overlooking? :# :innocent:

Thanked by (1)Ympker
Tagged:

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited August 2021

I think you'd need to ask the provider you are with to make that backup available to the user in question. You'd need to be admin of that server to restore it otherwhise. Reseller is not enough, I think. This is because your client/user account's directory does (normally) not have access to the Jet backup folder, nor does your reseller account. At least with Hostmantis it is like that iirc. If JetBackup does not offer ab import function on reseller level then you need to contact your host to have them import it ;)

Not 100% sure, though.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer
    edited August 2021

For all I know @Ympker is right.

Or you could "manually" do it yourself. By copying all the files from the backup and importing database(s) exports to newly created database(s) on the new hosting.

Emails should have been on MXroute already. :)

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• Seems easier to use the native DA backup/restore, then ... :hushed:

(Manual works, too, of course. And yes, no email usage in my shared web hosting. MXroute FTW.) B)

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@flips said:
    Seems easier to use the native DA backup/restore, then ... :hushed:

(Manual works, too, of course. And yes, no email usage in my shared web hosting. MXroute FTW.) B)

Moving shared hosting when emails are not involved is so much more chill, imho. Then it usually just is moving dns records and www files, or just backup on Applevel (e.g. WordPress backup). Good job on outsourcing that email stuff.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@flips said:
    Seems easier to use the native DA backup/restore, then ... :hushed:

That's my conclusion when it comes to DA.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @flips said:

I just downloaded a manual account backup as a regular shared host user. The system/server runs JetBackup 5 on DirectAdmin.

Now the plan was to restore this backup on another shared host.
    On this DirectAdmin host I'm a reseller, so I assumed I should create the user, and then use JetBackup as the user to restore the content from the backup.

But I'm struggling to figure out where I can upload or point JetBackup to my .tar.gz file ...
    Reading and searching docs I only see how to restore jobs from the list of indexed jobs on this host. (Which is zero, since I just created the user.)

Hello @flips,

If the backup was downloaded via JetBackup 5 on the original server, then it would be possible to use the JetBackup 5 restorepkg CLI Command on the new server to restore the account. You can find information on this command in the JetBackup 5 Docs. This CLI Command works in a similar way as the Built-In Restore and Download through the GUI so it would be best to use it while logged in as Admin if you have access.

Another way would be to configure the original Backup Destination as a Read-Only Destination on the new JetBackup 5 Server. This way you would be able to access and restore any of the backups generated from the original server. Your reseller/account would need the Can Manage Destinations permission in order to add the destination. This too would need to be granted through the JetBackup 5 Admin Panel. I hope this information is helpful.

Thanked by (2)flips bikegremlin