All Things WordPress Discussions

Comments

• Looking for some suggestions from you WP pros.

Still helping out a friend, they are not technical nor a designer so a complete site builder like Elementor, Beaver etc are not really ideal. She just needs a theme that is well supported but provides a good level of inbuilt functionality to change the layout of the pages including blog archive and so on.

She has seen two options she appears to 'like the look of'. Neave Theme and WP Astra.

Any views on these themes or an alternative?

Thanks. Also, I have to say, WP has really come a long way having played about with the most recent version. Think I might start using it again.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

What's the budget?
    What layout and functionality is required?
    I wrote a general guide on good relatively decent theme">how to pick a good relatively decent theme.

My personal favourites are GeneratePress and OceanWP.
    Elementor is OK if used reasonably.
    This is all Elementor (free version, with lots of custom code "manually" added, but still Elementor):
    https://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.4roomsescape.com/fk3bxFj6/

Thanked by (2)Lee Wolveix

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @bikegremlin said: What's the budget?

Well what she is looking at ranges between $40-$80 so I think that should pretty much cover anything. Don't need this for multiple sites, just one.

I was looking at GeneratePress, but it appeared to be a bit less visual to change/build and more code-based changes? Maybe I just didn't look close enough.

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited March 2021

@Lee said:
    Looking for some suggestions from you WP pros.

Still helping out a friend, they are not technical nor a designer so a complete site builder like Elementor, Beaver etc are not really ideal. She just needs a theme that is well supported but provides a good level of inbuilt functionality to change the layout of the pages including blog archive and so on.

She has seen two options she appears to 'like the look of'. Neave Theme and WP Astra.

Any views on these themes or an alternative?

Thanks. Also, I have to say, WP has really come a long way having played about with the most recent version. Think I might start using it again.

Tell her to have a look at Blocksy (free; paid optional, https://creativethemes.com/blocksy/ ) :) Lots of built-in features, super light-weigth and I recently set a friend up with Blocksy. She is also not very technical and loving it :)

She is using Qubely Blocks (free) along with it.

Thanked by (2)Lee nyamenk
  • @Lee said:

@bikegremlin said: What's the budget?

Well what she is looking at ranges between $40-$80 so I think that should pretty much cover anything. Don't need this for multiple sites, just one.

I was looking at GeneratePress, but it appeared to be a bit less visual to change/build and more code-based changes? Maybe I just didn't look close enough.

X theme is pretty nice and if there is an offer it is budget friendly. Give it a look. I like it

Thanked by (1)Lee

Dentistry is my passion

• @Ympker said: Tell her to have a look at Blocksy (free; paid optional, https://creativethemes.com/blocksy/ ) Lots of built-in features, super light-weigth and I recently set a friend up with Blocksy. She is also not very technical and loving it

Thanks, this is looking more like her thing.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
    edited March 2021

Same site, same page, same server:
    Blocksy GTmetrix
    GeneratePress GTmetrix
    OceanWP GTmetrix

Thanked by (2)Lee nyamenk

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

@bikegremlin said:
    Blocksy GTmetrix
    GeneratePress GTmetrix
    OceanWP GTmetrix

Makes me remember, I need to try GeneratePress some time again. But usability is obviously also a thing. I think for people not so fond of tech stuff Blocksy might be very easy to use. Generatepress is very good, too. Never used Ocean :D

Thanked by (1)Lee
    edited March 2021

@Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:
    Blocksy GTmetrix
    GeneratePress GTmetrix
    OceanWP GTmetrix

Makes me remember, I need to try GeneratePress some time again. But usability is obviously also a thing. I think for people not so fond of tech stuff Blocksy might be very easy to use. Generatepress is very good, too. Never used Ocean :D

I've heard nothing but praises for Blocksy.
    If I had more time - i'd give it a run, see if it can be better optimized. :)

And I completely understand the sentiment - for most webshops I go with OceanWP, even though GeneratePress is faster - because OceanWP makes the layout look "nicer to normal people" out of the box, so no need to touch anything - which saves time.

Thanked by (2)Ympker Lee

• LeeLee OG
    edited March 2021

And we have a very clear winner, it's Blocksy. I am impressed with it enough that I am going to throw up a test WP install just to play around with it. Sarah is delighted, she is already got the basic set up she wants and just needs to make it 'more pretty' which she says seems easy enough. Also bought the Pro version so a win for the developer.

Thanks all as always, I credited @Ympker with the suggestion :)

Thanked by (2)Ympker seriesn
    edited March 2021

Glad to hear I could help :) Yeah, it's pretty nice huh?

Pro version lifetime or yearly? :)

Thanked by (1)Lee
  • LeeLee OG
    edited March 2021

@Ympker said: Pro version lifetime or yearly?

I think she just bought the yearly single website licence, all she needs to be fair. As I mention on the other chat, she is over the moon with it, says it gives every option she wanted and does it all visually so no messing about. Quick and easy.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@Lee said:

@Ympker said: Pro version lifetime or yearly?

I think she just bought the yearly single website licence, all she needs to be fair. As I mention on the other chat, she is over the moon with it, says it gives every option she wanted and does it all visually so no messing about. Quick and easy.

Yeah, it is super straight-forward. If she needs help there is a Facebook community for it, too :)

• Good recommendation with Blocksy @Ympker

@Lee I have been experimenting with the starter sites of Blocksy. Do consider sticking with the Gutenburg based templates. They are faster, 'native' to WP and starting May, google will revamp the algorithms that actually give Gutenburg a headstart over the other pagebuilders.

Thanked by (2)Ympker Lee

Squats are the new Push-ups

• @vyas said: starting May, google will revamp the algorithms that actually give Gutenburg a headstart over the other pagebuilders

Google will give Gutenberg a head start? Meaning it'll give you better search engine ranking if you use Gutenberg? (I don't even use Google for searching, but I guess some people do...) ;)

• Squats are the new Push-ups

• Maybe I'm a poor reader, but I've read that thread/comment and (skimmed) the linked article on 5.7, still didn't find anything on Google algorithm's ... :p

• @flips said:
    Maybe I'm a poor reader, but I've read that thread/comment and (skimmed) the linked article on 5.7, still didn't find anything on Google algorithm's ... :p

Ugh

Might have been a discussion in a fb group or a wp group.. from my covid clouded memory, here is
    the summary version:

Under the new google ranking algorithms, some ‘native features’ like lazy loading, block support etc offer a leg up to gutenburg.
    Other page builders will have to catch up

• Ok, so mainly due to performance for ranking ... :)

• I recently install a DirectAdmin on my new VPS, I have a feeling that... Maybe I should not use Panel anymore. Panel only gave me a extra learning curve.

Action and Reaction in history

• @elliotc said: I recently install a DirectAdmin on my new VPS, I have a feeling that... Maybe I should not use Panel anymore. panel only gave me a extra learning curve.

As much as panels are convenient they can be a hassle, it is just one more thing to learn and also cause you issues that you then have to learn how to fix. If you are just running personal sites and have a good backup solution a VPS without a panel is usually the way to go. Need mail, throw in MXRoute and so on.

I use to go for the, it's not that I can't do it, just too lazy so used a panel but I changed that last year and stopped using panels for anything personal.

Thanked by (1)elliotc
  • So I finally got some time to try out WordPress again properly. Shit so much improved since I last really used it. The editor is remarkably good, seem to recall a lot of upset about Gutenberg when it first came out.

The free version of the Blocksy theme has more options than I have ever seen on a free theme, but maybe others do also. I did try a few random ones and got hit more or less immediately with "Get the Pro version" to do this thing you want.

I did quite a big import of dummy data and added a number of plugins (Direct Admin in a reseller account to install WP). On GTMetrix was getting pretty decent results. Although I noticed TTFB was quite long but I suspect that may have happened after I used a Google Font.

Have been using other options like Grav and getKirby recently but really thinking about spending more time with WP and maybe moving a couple of sites.

Also, Ghost 4.0 is out today, for those serious about just blogging and have an audience they really do now make it a viable money-making opportunity for those that have something interesting to say.

Thanked by (2)Ympker vyas
  • Apologies another question, really getting back into WP.

Do you find it is better to run WP on a VPS/Dedi or does a shared/reseller at a decent provider not hold it back in comparison to a VPS/Dedi?

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @Lee said:
    Apologies another question, really getting back into WP.

Do you find it is better to run WP on a VPS/Dedi or does a shared/reseller at a decent provider not hold it back in comparison to a VPS/Dedi?

Depending on how bloated you make it, it works pretty smoothly on shared hosting.

Thanked by (1)Lee
  • LeeLee OG
    edited March 2021

@seriesn said: Depending on how bloated you make it

Indeed, perhaps I am holding on to historic prejudices with WP that in order to provide the functionality and end result you want, bloated is exactly how it will end up. I guess I just need to get on and replace a site properly with it and see what happens.

@Lee said:

@elliotc said: I recently install a DirectAdmin on my new VPS, I have a feeling that... Maybe I should not use Panel anymore. panel only gave me a extra learning curve.

As much as panels are convenient they can be a hassle, it is just one more thing to learn and also cause you issues that you then have to learn how to fix. If you are just running personal sites and have a good backup solution a VPS without a panel is usually the way to go. Need mail, throw in MXRoute and so on.

I use to go for the, it's not that I can't do it, just too lazy so used a panel but I changed that last year and stopped using panels for anything personal.

Especially for WordPress installs just fire up LAMP> @Lee said:

Personally, I am super happy with being able to focus 100% on my Websites and leave it to the Shared Hosting/Reseller provider to handle server security and the backend. I am currently with @MikePT at Hetzner's and HostMantis and performance has never been an issue. Ramnode is also great. Throw in the license savings for, say, JetBackup, Litespeed, cPanel/DA and also comodities like 1 click SSL, daily backups.. has made me stick with Shared Hosting over setting up my own VPS. You can get Shared Hosting really cheap and with a lot of nice perks without lifting a finger :)

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin Lee
  • @Ympker said: Personally, I am super happy with being able to focus 100% on my Websites and leave it to the Shared Hosting/Reseller

Yeah, I am trying to get into a mindset of trusting a shared/reseller provider for some sites so I can do exactly that, focus on the websites these days and stop being a whiny little bitch about trust. I have real trust issues when it comes to relying on other hosts since I sold my own a while back.

Although I like DA probably going to switch back to cPanel, Jetbackup only seems to provide the option of having your own external source for backups like S3. Does not appear to be available in the DA version unless I am mistaken. Makes me feel a lot more comfortable using a reseller where I have the ability to backup to my own location.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • vyasvyas OG
    edited March 2021

@Lee said:

I typically do the following:
    Development site on VPS, typically using Webinoly or Gridpane.

Production site once optimized... shared or VPS (With Gridpane) depending on the purpose.

While we are on the topic, a short video I had made a few months ago.

https://img.gaatha.co/fWT6IJ

And my favourite: Webinoly
    https://img.gaatha.co/5SHsb5

Thanked by (2)Lee Ympker

edited March 2021

@Lee said:

@Ympker said: Personally, I am super happy with being able to focus 100% on my Websites and leave it to the Shared Hosting/Reseller

Yeah, I am trying to get into a mindset of trusting a shared/reseller provider for some sites so I can do exactly that, focus on the websites these days and stop being a whiny little bitch about trust. I have real trust issues when it comes to relying on other hosts since I sold my own a while back.

Although I like DA probably going to switch back to cPanel, Jetbackup only seems to provide the option of having your own external source for backups like S3. Does not appear to be available in the DA version unless I am mistaken. Makes me feel a lot more comfortable using a reseller where I have the ability to backup to my own location.

I hear you. Very happy that, with HM reseller I can use cPanel and it has daily backups on JetBackup. Additionaly, I have scheduled weekly/monthly JetBackups remote backups to GDrive. A feature still missing for DA :( @MikePT is also waiting for this as much as I am probably. As for trust, just make sure to pick a well-established provider with good performance and features. Imho cant go wrong with Ramnode/HM/Mike.

Thanked by (2)Lee MikePT

@Lee said:

@Ympker said: Personally, I am super happy with being able to focus 100% on my Websites and leave it to the Shared Hosting/Reseller

DA has in-built support for storage, but not the cheap options like Amazon, or BackBlaze.
    Hetzner Box works perfectly fine, and it's not outrageously expensive, but does cost more.

DirectAdmin automated remote backup configuration

Thanked by (1)Ympker